Sign in to follow this  
DannyNCFC7

£45

[quote user="Houston Canary"]No TNB, if you''re trainers are Nike, when other cheaper ones are available you could buy those and use the savings on a ticket.[/quote]
You can get a pair of Nike Air Force 1''s for about £45. 
How much exactly do you want kids to spend on a pair of trainers? They would have to steal a pair to save enough money to buy one football ticket. 
I don''t know how old you are, or where you grew up, but if a teenager wears ten quid trainers from Asda then they are likely to remain a virgin. 
Nike trainers also last yonks. I''ve had a couple of pairs and they are indestructible. You pay more money for Nike trainers because they don''t fall apart after three wears. 

i don''t care what anyone says £45 is fu(king scandalous and £23 for an under 17 is ridiculous as well... when the current crop of coffin dodgers that make up 75% of our support in all areas of he ground meet the grim reaper there will be no one to replace them ... a whole generation of support will be lost and for what ? with the money from sky there is no need to charge these scandalous amounts... i share a season ticket and get to about 8 league games but i wouldn''t pay that as a casual even if tickets were available when its not my turn to go ... anyone who thinks the price is reasonable is talking bollox and has lost the plot OTBC

A lot of people had moaned there wasn''t the quality in the squad, now premier league quality and big names are filtering throughIf you want big names like Wolf/Fer to play in a Norwich city shirt, you have to pay premium prices to see them.As the saying goes, watch what you wish for :)

[quote user="Alejandra"]A lot of people had moaned there wasn''t the quality in the squad, now premier league quality and big names are filtering throughIf you want big names like Wolf/Fer to play in a Norwich city shirt, you have to pay premium prices to see them.As the saying goes, watch what you wish for :)

[/quote]

This

High ticket prices are a byproduct of success. I think we all know that £45 for a casual ticket is expensive but as Morty has correctly explained the ticket prices are set to manage supply and demand. Like it or not NCFC is a business. If they can charge £45 for a ticket and sell them then why charge £30?? The fact that there is a queue for season tickets tells you that demand is high. The purpose of any business is to generate as much capital as possible and whilst a market is in a business'' favour it can charge high prices for its product or service.

[quote user="i''m spartacus"]i don''t care what anyone says £45 is fu(king scandalous and £23 for an under 17 is ridiculous as well... when the current crop of coffin dodgers that make up 75% of our support in all areas of he ground meet the grim reaper there will be no one to replace them ... a whole generation of support will be lost and for what ? with the money from sky there is no need to charge these scandalous amounts... i share a season ticket and get to about 8 league games but i wouldn''t pay that as a casual even if tickets were available when its not my turn to go ... anyone who thinks the price is reasonable is talking bollox and has lost the plot OTBC

you don''t appear too brightare you from suffolk by any chance ?

[quote user="Warren Hill"]

It is a lot of money, I suppose it depends what else you do - it''s about 5 packets of fags, 15 pints, a pint of petrol (well, maybe a bit more), ultimately I suppose you have to decide whether it represents value to you for what it costs.

If it does, great, if you think you''d be better off spending your money elsewhere, then it''s MOTD and Football First. It''s horrible to see people priced out of football but wherever the club draw a line, be it 16, 18, 21, ....someone will always dip out.

[/quote]
Try 9 pints in London...

[quote user="Lord Horn"]A bit OT but I was ''amused'' to be sent a letter from the Club asking "as a previous Member" if I would like to rejoin the Gunn Club at a price of £205 for the season "less than £11 per match" - just to get in the door!  Given that myself and two friends had decided that £125 last season was too much (especially as you get ripped off for drinks - no Member benefits there I can assure you), you can imagine that the time between receipt of the letter and it''s recycling was minimal.  As a contrast, I see that the Holiday Inn offers a carvery plus a drink (with a reserved table) for less than £9. A couple of years ago the Gunn Club had a waiting list but methinks that is not the case now.[/quote]

Agree LH. Got the same letter. I was an original GC member-cost was £50. For that I got table service and numbers were controlled so at least you had half a chance of getting a drink afterwards. I kept it going until it was about £120 , but by that time you had to get there about 5 seconds after it opened to get a table. Food became dire , you queued up for it , and after the game the room resembled a rugby scrum at the bar.

It is no surprise that the waiting list has disappeared.

It''s racism.

How the hell are the increasing numbers of black, potential fans in the City going to be able to stump up the asking price in order to watch the increasing numbers of black players at the club?

Can someone explain something to me.

Sunderland (first place I thought of with a massive stadium but not a huge city) has a 49,000 seater stadium with an average attendance of over 40k last year with the city and surrounding economic area estimated population at 280,000 at last noted census.

Norwich has a travel to work (as in people who commute to the city) area population estimated at 280,000.

Why exactly would 30k be about right for Carrow Road? why couldn''t we fill a 35k or bigger stadium if the impetus was put behind doing so?

I suspect that its because there are no big PL clubs near Sunderland.....or maybe its a richer area....or a more successful club in its recent future?

So many on here seem to bleat on about little ol'' Narwich syndrome yet take exactly that view to our ageing, small and frankly embarrassing in places stadium.

The club are doing exactly the right thing at the moment with demand so high and no way to increase supply, but as a long term strategy for success it is flawed on many levels.

Monty - I started going to City in the early 90''s and average was about 13k and maybe 15 for the derby.

Haven''t Sunderland had pretty big crowds for a lot of years?

I''m asking by the way, not trying to make a point I already know the answer to.

[quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="Houston Canary"]No TNB, if you''re trainers are Nike, when other cheaper ones are available you could buy those and use the savings on a ticket.[/quote]
You can get a pair of Nike Air Force 1''s for about £45. 
How much exactly do you want kids to spend on a pair of trainers? They would have to steal a pair to save enough money to buy one football ticket. 
I don''t know how old you are, or where you grew up, but if a teenager wears ten quid trainers from Asda then they are likely to remain a virgin. 
Nike trainers also last yonks. I''ve had a couple of pairs and they are indestructible. You pay more money for Nike trainers because they don''t fall apart after three wears. 
[/quote]True, but then you''ll save even more money by not having an expensive OH who''s always on your case about you always wanting to go to the football. So you get to watch more matches with no ear ache.A result if ever there was one.....

"the club are doing exactly the right thing at the moment with demand so

high and no way to increase supply, but as a long term strategy for

success it is flawed on many levels."
what a pile of nonsensical drivel as all figures point to the cost of any redevelopment NOT being covered by the tickets - and that is at full capacity

however I suspect this should tell the rest of us all we need to know our ageing, small and frankly embarrassing in places stadium.

ain''t embarrassing to me

It seems to fluctuate quite violently over their history Morty (like most clubs) but in the early 90''s attendances were very similar to ours.

As a snapshot:

91-18k

92-17k

93-17k

94-15.4k

95-17.5k (promoted PL)

96-21k

97-34k! (after relegation but on completion of Stadium of Light)

then fluctuates between high 20s to mid 40''s till today.

During the 80''s attendances never reached 20k hitting a low of 13.6k in 1986.

So whether they had or have any greater ability to generate big crowds is subjective as the large ones we now recognise appeared after the Stadium of Light was completed. As we don''t have a 42k plus seater stadium who knows how we would compare.

I''m a product of the 90''s kids for a quid so I remember Carrow Road well in the 90s!

"what a pile of nonsensical drivel as all figures point to the cost of any redevelopment NOT being covered by the tickets - and that is at full capacity"

Wow really, it still wouldn''t be paid for by the time it was knocked down or replaced? This is disturbing and shocking news.

I love Carrow Road and I love the club but if you think our Stadium is a shining example of a top class sporting arena in all respects...well you''re just wrong.

Monty - (Sorry can''t quote on this browser)

They must have been pretty confident of filling the stadium before they built it, sometimes its just about the right thing at the right time. And they obviously had the money or investment to hand. Also the gap between the Prem and the (now called) Championship wasn''t as great then so relegation wasn''t the kiss of death then as it is now. Look to Coventry for an example of how this can go spectacularly wrong!

I think we''re doing the right thing with our money, for the time being anyway.

[quote user="Monty13"]"what a pile of nonsensical drivel as all figures point to the cost of any redevelopment NOT being covered by the tickets - and that is at full capacity"

Wow really, it still wouldn''t be paid for by the time it was knocked down or replaced? This is disturbing and shocking news.

I love Carrow Road and I love the club but if you think our Stadium is a shining example of a top class sporting arena in all respects...well you''re just wrong.[/quote]
I absolutely love Carrow Road. 
The back of the Riverend could do with a facelift, and the City stand could do with doubling in capacity, but I don''t want one of these generic steel clad so called ''top class sporting arena'', because to get one of those we would need to move outside of the city centre, and 9 times out of 10 they are completely souless.
Let''s please keep on topic which is ticket prices and stadium capacity. We don''t need to be talking about shiny new ''arenas'', especially because they are most certainly American. I love Carrow Road, I don''t want to play at the Colney Rose Bowl or the Aviva Multi-Purpose Entertainment Centre. 

If you choose to afford high dollar footwear and trendy brand name clothes cuz that''s what it takes to score with the class of women you like, so be it. That''s how you choose to spend your disposable income.

My contention was that kids who dress this way often have team gear too which means they ARE fans, and CAN afford tickets. For those who can''t they choose more carefully how to spend their money but their NCFC shirts indicate they already are fans so aren''t alienated by ticket prices.

When they get real jobs they can buy tickets more often. Or not. There are more than 27, 000 Norwich shirts/scarves/soccer balls/bath rugs in the area. Not every fan has to go to the games.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Not every fan has to go to the games.[/quote]
That is very true. In this day and age in particular. 

BUT.... the reason why our support is as strong as it is now is because we spent years filling the ground with kids and other heavily subsidised tickets (such as big discounts for those between jobs).
If we alienate a huge chunk of the potential support base in Norwich/Norfolk who can''t afford to attend games, then we will struggle in the future to find an extra ten thousand of them to fill a 35000 seater. 
Demand for a few thousand casual tickets may currently be very high, there may be a couple of thousand people on the season ticket waiting list, but filling a 35000 seater is a very different story. 
I do wish that those who complain that they can''t afford a football ticket would consider adopting a non-league team as a second team though, and supporting them with their £5 - £8 every Saturday until their income opens up the doors to top level footy. 
Non-league attendances are suffering big time, but in theory their should be no shortage of football fans turning up at Wroxham and Cromer because they can''t get a Norwich ticket, right?

2 points- Firstly, as Morty pointed out, businesses change with the times and NCFC will adjust when necessary. Actually, the best businesses predict and set the trends. Teams in administration failed at it.

Secondly, fans who were raised on discount ticket prices (was the entire community destitute from the 70s thru the millenium?) didn''t have streaming, cable tv or matches on tv at the pub so going in person was the only way to see games live.

As such, we likely have vastly more young supporters now than we did a few decades back in spite of (or maybe because of, to be Devil''s Advocate) high ticket prices.

"Actually, the best businesses predict and set the trends."

True to an extent (mainly those with pricing power). But Norwich, like most Premier clubs, are dependent for most of their income on Sky. And consequently on PL survival, which is notoriously difficult to predict (most football pundits get their relegation predictions wrong each year).

Some of the ticket pricing seems strange to me. My 5-year-old is a newly qualified season ticket holder, and can now go for under £5 per game (and takes up a seat all season). Yet an 18-year-old is being charged £45 per game. I cannot offhand think of any other entertainment in the UK with such wide pricing dispersion. I certainly wouldn''t expect to pay 10 times my child''s admission to get in to the cinema, a National Trust property ...).

For the short term, the club has pricing power over these casual tickets and can milk the casual fan. And presumably it would be attractive for the CEO (as manager of the business, not owner) to focus on the short term, while he is in post, rather than the longer term (when he is not).

Whether or not this will affect demand in the long term is the big question.

Yes, but teams know well in advance when broadcast rights are up for bids and how much the can expect based on their finishing position. We signed RVW and crushed our tansfer record to do so months prior to securing survival but well after it was pretty sure.

That''s us setting the trend. Now we need to bring back the playbook that got us 7 goals in the final 2 games and get used to playing winning football, not that dross that didn''t win us any fans in Portland.

[quote user="Monty13"]"what a pile of nonsensical drivel as all figures point to the cost of any redevelopment NOT being covered by the tickets - and that is at full capacity"

I love Carrow Road and I love the club but if you think our Stadium is a shining example of a top class sporting arena in all respects...well you''re just wrong.[/quote]I never stated anywhere that Carrow Road was " shining example of a top class sporting arena in all respects."

"Some of the ticket pricing seems strange to me. My 5-year-old is a newly qualified season ticket holder, and can now go for under £5 per game (and takes up a seat all season). Yet an 18-year-old is being charged £45 per game. I cannot offhand think of any other entertainment in the UK with such wide pricing dispersion. I certainly wouldn''t expect to pay 10 times my child''s admission to get in to the cinema, a National Trust property ...)."

Demand is dictated by price and success. Whilst the cannot always control the latter it can control the first, that''s why the casual ticket is £45. It knows there is a demand at tis price. As success drops off so will price therefore keeping deman up. That happens every else. Why it should be completely ignored here is unexplained.Your 5 year old is a season ticket holder, the other person is a casual ticket buyer. The comparisons don''t stack up in this context.It is a myth to talk of this ''lost generation''. If the club dropped casual tickets to a fiver there would still not be any extra fans coming in due to the limited number f tickets available.Look down the A140. No aggressive ticket policy, 15,000 empty seats. Do they have a ''lost generation'' ? I think that would be seen were they to reach the PL.This thread was started by one whinging 18 year old who wants special treatment for those under 21, because he hasn''t a full time job. That case os special treatent could be made for all manner of catagories of ages, parents, part time work etc. If watching City is that important then you will find the money, even if it means foregoing other stuff ...... as most have done through their various life changes over the years.

For me, personally, I think that tickets are far too expensive these days. But, on the flip-side as others have said, if you want your RVW''s and your Fer''s and the Premiership then that''s what you''re going to have to pay.It''s not just the £45 though is it? There''s travel, parking, food, a couple of pints, programme etc. etc. Which all amounts to a costly day out. (And before people say it, I know you don''t HAVE to eat, drink or buy programmes there, but I''m just generalizing)As Morty and others have said, it''s all about what you want to do for your entertainment. It''s a lifestyle choice. I know several people with Norwich season tickets, but that''s what they do. They go to football games at weekends, travel up and down the country and follow the team. That''s what they do. I''m not saying that''s ALL they do for entertainment, but it''s a large chunk of the budget.Me personally, I can''t justify it these days. £50 - £70 - £100 for a couple of hours entertainment? Sorry, it''s just not for me any more.I play computer games, some enjoy it, some don''t. But it''s what I do in downtime, and it keeps me happy. I can pay £45-£50 for an Xbox game, but when I''m getting 100-200 hours + out of it, that''s value for money in my eyes.I love the club, and I always will, but for me now it''ll just be watching shonky streams on the internet to get my Norwich fill these days.I don''t think there''s really a right or wrong in this argument. It''s purely a lifestyle choice... [Y]

I get your point UC but to say a game ticket gets 2 hours of entertainment is minimalizing the game day experience. For many, the game can be almost incidental especially if the team doesn''t play well that day.

I know many hit the pub on the way in, but is there tailgatiing? It''s huge at US sporting events. People grill and party in parking lots for hours before going into the stadium.

"I never stated anywhere that Carrow Road was " shining example of a top class sporting arena in all respects.""

No you didn''t, but you heavily inferred anyone who didn''t have unconditional love for the stadium in its current form was somehow not a true supporter.

You''ve also, as usual, decided to focus on the trivial and ignore the fact that as a new stand will likely be in use for many years after it is paid for the statement by you that "all figures point to the cost of any redevelopment NOT being covered by the tickets" is completely false.

I would also ask to be directed to any source you have that ALL (or in fact any official example?) figures point to the redevelopment not being covered by ticket sales, as this is yet again another bare faced lie as of course over the long term the extra tickets will pay for the redevelopment many times over.

Morty I take your point, however Roker Park had a capacity of 22,500. Sunderland had been successfully averaging under (to way under!) that capacity for over the previous decade.

Norwich have had, as near as damn it, full average league attendances for how many years? and under what team performance conditions?

My point is that Sunderland is a good example of an area with very similar potential supporter base who now average 40k plus a season and make 3 million per annum (based on last accounts) more than us in ticket revenue. How did they achieve that from similar small crowds to we had during the 80''s/90''s and why do we not have the same potential? I''m not saying we do, I''d just be interested in how they achieved it.

TV money can only do so much and to truly move forward as a club and compete (barring rich owners, which seems increasingly unfashionable in the age of FFP) we have to swell our supporter base.