Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

Maxi Lopez Catania

Yorkshire Canary wrote - "As some have said this guys career has gone toes up over recent years."

I see a lot of comments like this on this Forum. Could anyone give a detailed account of why his career has faltered since moving to Italy? All I can see is a player that produces results in Serie A (1 in 3), who has been loaned to bigger Clubs where he was used in Squad rotation (start/bench/cup, etc.), and had a couple of injuries (nothing too serious) and suspensions.

I''ve seen him play quite a few times, don''t know why people are devastated by this potential move. He''s a lot better than his goal scoring record suggests he''s a skilful player who links up very well, he''s a different type of forward to RVW and Beccio so I for one would be happy with him. And a few of you will be pleasantly surprised when you see him play.

He''s more of a link up player, can play a little deeper more of a Wes role. Whereas RVW plays off the shoulder and Becchio is a target man/powerful striker. Maxi can play further forward but he''s more effective as a deeper lying forward. Maybe he''s a alternative for toivanan.

I am also quite excited about this signing. Albeit I have only seen a couple of games he has been involved in, he is a very skilful player who can act as target man and can be clinical in final third. His goal for Milan against juventus demonstrates this. He has played for some great clubs and being linked with this kind of player really shows our progression.

Would much rather have him than Hooper, who in my eyes has been scoring goals in a league comparable to the championship. We already have becchio as backup who arguably was one of the top strikers to sign out of the championship.

I have to say I am rather bemused why people seem to have taken against this guy. CH and his scouts have been scouring the continent and if he is on the list of people we are interested in then that is fine by me. CH is an extremely good coach and there is no reason to suggest he can''t get the best out of players he chooses.

I have to agree with you, I think this would be a great alternative from Toivonen. I don''t see why people are getting down about it, first of all from what ''rumors'' are saying he''s a very good price. This will leave more cash to spend on another forward and center back. I don''t see him being the only forward we''d get (if we were to get him). So people just need to chill out on this one and have faith in Hughton and McNally. If he dosn''t work out at least we''ve not spent £5 million on him like we would on Hooper or Toivonen who would both also be risks financially. Good business in my eyes but each to their own.

For the reported £3.8m this guy is a bargain!

Might not have the greatest scoring record, but him and RVW up top together is a better idea than Jackson and Martin/KK!

So get some perspective guys

[quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="Mervmeister"]This is definitely going to happen :( not a good player at all[/quote]
He will be better than Chris Martin, and probably better than Simeon Jackson. For that reason he represents an improvement in the squad. 
But I would still want one more striker. 
[/quote]

I think this is definitely the way to look at it. We survived/achieved what we did last season with players in our squad like Martin and Jackson. So the players we bring in only really have to be better than the players they are replacing to take the pragmatists view.

Im not overly excited by this potential transfer but does anyone doubt that he is better than Martin or Jackson? If he''s better, then he''s a good signing, as the quality of the squad is only improving. Perhaps quantum leaps like Quagliarella are just too ambitious for us to pull off. Perhaps ultimately we need intermediate steps

Absolutely SYG.

Not so long ago we were signing Oli Johnson, just 15 months ago Wilbrahamovic was our second striker. Last season we had Jack,Morro and KK with 2 league goals between them and now we seem to be able to

turn our noses up at Maxi.

We need to keep things in proportion. OK Maxi may not seem as exciting as some of the rumoured links but as I mentioned earlier on this thread he does bring some pedigree at modest price.

CJF wrote - "Looks like the type of player QPR sign. Steer well clear if you ask me."

I''m asking you. Why should we steer well clear? What are you basing that on? And more to the point why is he a "QPR signing?

He''s foreign is essentially what he''s getting at I''d imagine. I can''t see anything else that he''d mean.

-- I''m asking you. Why should we steer well clear? What are you basing that on? And more to the point why is he a "QPR signing?

QPR sign highly paid mediocre journeymen on big wages. As for Maxi Lopez, his record is pretty ordinary, he is 29, scored only 11 goals in the last couple of seasons. An overall scoring record of worse than one in three. He just doesn''t excite the senses and could end up being on big money.

CJH wrote - "An overall scoring record of worse than one in three."

Maxi Lopez - minutes per goal - 209

Grant Holt - minutes per goal - 192

Grant Holt spent two seasons in the top flight where as Maxi Lopez has spent virtually his entire career there.

Actually I think people need to be even more realistic.

Had Sporting not been in financial difficulties I doubt we would have got Wolfswinkel for £8.5million. He would have cost considerably more, over £10million I would say.

Despite people''s moans we are looking at players who have played champions league football, who have played for top clubs in various leagues in the last couple of seasons.

They then insist Hooper is a better ''gamble''. Hooper players for a big club in a league that would not be considered to be in the top six leagues in Europe, possibly even lower. (England, Spain, Germany, Italy, France premier leagues).

At 25 Hooper has never played in one of Europe''s top leagues.

Maxi Lopez has played in Spain and Italy. Since 2009 he has played in Italy, scoring 12 goals in 25 appearances for Gremio, 22 in 66 appearances for Catania, 2 in 8 for Milan and 4 in 17 for Sampdoria.

He is 29, but my googlefu suggests he is on 900k Euros a year. That sounds about right for a club of Catania''s stature. That equates to 17K Euros a week. So we should be able to offer him something competitive to that.

Maybe not as good as some of the other names linked with us, but he should be a squad member than Jackson, Morison and Chris Martin and will probably push Becchio as well.

As for Hooper, who says we aren''t still in for him or that it is a choice between Hooper or him?

If Lopez is instead of Quagliarella, then the quoted figures are cheaper. Maybe that then allows us to go back in for the Senegalese chap, N''Doye was it? Or someone else more proven than Hooper.

article here seems to suggest CH is interested in both Maxi Lopez and Fabio Quagliarella

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city-fc/striker_signings_remain_a_key_priority_for_norwich_city_boss_chris_hughton_1_2288550

The interesting bit would be if Quag was interested in being loaned.

We could have a fee agreed in principle, loan him for the season and it be best for both parties. He could end up getting a move to a champions league club as a result but then I''d be happy with that if it got us another mid-table finish.

With it being a loan, perhaps it would explain the interest in both him and Lopez.

The headline says "strikers signings" plural but that isn''t backed up by the text of what Hughton says, although he almost certainly is after more than one. And he doesn''t confirm any interest in Quagliarella or Lopez, let alone saying he might want to sign both, as opposed to be keen to get one OR the other of two players who sound similarish. He just agrees that we have been linked with them. He doesn''t even admit to having been in Italy:

“Yes, I have seen the reports that I was in Italy,” said Hughton. “There are players that we would have an interest in bringing to the club but wanting to bring someone here and actually getting them here is two different things. The areas that we felt we needed to improve were the offensive areas. We brought Ricky (van Wolfswinkel) in but on the other side of it Simeon (Jackson) and Holty (Grant Holt) have departed so, yes, the forward area is one we are looking to do something.”

I''m not suggesting that we ''are'' after both.

Just responding to someone saying we ''could'' be after both.

[quote user="chicken"]I''m not suggesting that we ''are'' after both.

Just responding to someone saying we ''could'' be after both.[/quote]

Agreed. My post was aimed more generally. It just hapened to follow yours.

So where exactly has Maxi been playing these past few seasons?

If he has been a traget man then 1 in 3 is a decent enough return....if he can do that in the Prem then 12-13 goals a season is a great return!?!

Also, if he has been playing as a second striker, or in the hole then his stats are even better.....

Comparing his goals to mins ratio with Holty was pretty decent.

Now does anyone want to compare his goals to mins ratio with Hoolahan? If he plays next season in Wes position then 1 in 3 is a great return!

6088m canary wrote - "Now does anyone want to compare his goals to mins ratio with Hoolahan?"

Loads of factors to be considered but; Total Career stats;

Wes Hoolahan - goals pm 455 assists pm 415

Maxi Lopez - goals pm 209 assists pm 580

Fabio Quag'' - goals pm 211 assists pm 659

Ola Toivonen - goals pm 196 assists pm 492