Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

Maxi Lopez Catania

Joined Sampdoria on loan on 11th July 2012 mate.

He''s currently AWOL from Catania''s pre-season training, and his agent has been on about talks with Torino.

He is still on Catania''s payroll. So move is possible and likely.

Anyway again I dont follow italian football except few odd games and have only seed him play few times in Milan shirt.

He seemed quite energetic with huge work rate and at least those days were spark in dull Milan team. Could be decent replacement for Holt''s role, but then again I havent seen enough to know whos consistent he is.

Also would be clearly as Hooper our second striker and nothing more as he lacks that something "extraordinary" which makes goals out of thin air.

Hopefuly someone else who watch more Serie A could give us more info about the player and how wrong or right I was with my opinion.

Wasn''t this the bloke Milan brought in on loan last season or so after Man City rejected their attempts to sign Tevez? I haven''t heard the best things about him as a player (think Milan rejected the opportunity to buy him) although I have not seen him play.

Seemed like a player with a bit of promise many years ago when Barca signed him and since then he''s dropped down and down and regularly failed to convince unless in a pretty poor league. There was a minor improvement in form when he joined Catania but his lack of consistency, apparent dodgy attitude and seemingly inability to regularly get his name on the scoresheet, means we should be steering well clear IMHO.I was relatively apathetic about Hooper signing, but I really couldn''t be LESS interested in this guy...

Indy_Bones wrote - "Seemed like a player with a bit of promise many years ago when Barca signed him and since then he''s dropped down and down and regularly failed to convince unless in a pretty poor league. "

Seeing as he has never played in a "pretty poor league" it would appear you are talking out of your backside. A scoring rate of 1 in 2 in the top leagues of Brazil and Russia and 1 in 3 in Serie A in Italy would indicate that he knows where the back of the net is. He also has a pretty good assist rate for a CF so he obviously brings his team mates into play. I can''t say anything about his temperament or attitude but the stats speak for themselves.

Oh God Please NoI would have Hooper and Quag over Maxi ANY DAY OF THE WEEKHe''s had more clubs than tiger woods.He seems to always, just as he''s about to show his potential want to move to another club.

He would definitely score goals. (Really easy on the eye goals too)But I honestly believe he''d be at the club for a shorter period of time than Quag would!

His goal scoring at Catania was about one goal every three games, which is OK, but which division do they play in. He was less successful on loan more recently, scoring about one in four, which is probably not so good.

Why did Catania send him on loan, e.g. to Sampdoria. Has there been any dispute with the player. If we sign him it would have to be at a real bargain price. Otherwise, why are we apparently seeking to sign him?

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Seeing as he has never played in a "pretty poor league" it would appear you are talking out of your backside. A scoring rate of 1 in 2 in the top leagues of Brazil and Russia[/quote]Hahahahaha.The ''TOP'' leagues of Brazil and Russia! You''re having a laugh Joanna.Both leagues are of a relatively poor standard compared to the ''big'' leagues (e.g. Prem, La Liga, Bundesliga etc), so I really don''t know what point you''re trying to make with your response.As for his scoring record in Italy, that''s misleading on it''s own when you don''t look at the full context. When he signed for Catania he had a purple patch (a la Simeon Jackson at the end of our CCC season), but then was FAR less effective for the next 2 seasons:2009–10     17     112010–11     35     82011–12     14     3So when he arrived he managed a goal every 1.5 games - very nice, the season after it dropped to every 4.4 and the season after that it was every 4.7 - neither of which are impressive returns are they?He then managed 1 in 8 at Milan, and 1 in 4 at Sampdoria (again not particularly impressive), so had it not been for that short flurry of goals close to FOUR years ago, his overall record in Italy would be average to poor.The sad truth is that he only ever looks at his best when surrounded by average to poor players, but when put on the biggest stages with the best players e.g. Barca and Milan - he fails miserably.Is he an awful signing (assuming we''re interested) - no, is he really what we should be looking at - not IMHO...

I do wonder at people looking up their stats and blindly quoting them on here to prove/disprove how good a player might be when they have probably no more idea about them than the rest of us.

A lot depends on how much game-time they have (match stats often include sub apps, that may only amount to minutes), at what level and what role they have played: a striker is often played as an AM and vice versa.

I have no idea on this guy,or whether we are interested, but IMO it is far better to consider that if CH and his scouts want a player, he is good enough for us; if other PL teams are also sniffing about, that also suggests he might be decent.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I have no idea on this guy,or whether we are interested, but IMO it is far better to consider that if CH and his scouts want a player, he is good enough for us[/quote]By that logic Branston, if CH decided to bring Cureton back for a single season swansong you''d be all for it then...?We all know that stats can be spun and manipulated (I love doing it myself [6]), but if you look at it on paper, the guy HAS struggled to perform at the biggest clubs and if they didn''t give him many minutes (think he averaged around 30 mins per game at Milan with only 2 full matches and 26 mins avg for Barca) then it was because they simply didn''t think he was good enough to be given more time.Bear in mind as well that we''re not talking about some 21 year old striker trying to get games at big clubs, he''s now 29 years old and the only time he''s lasted more than 2 years at a club before they move him on was at the start of his career with River Plate - some TWELVE years ago!Maybe he can do a job for us and would help us overall, but I''m really struggling to see the big attraction and it simply sounds like another rumour made up purely because CH was already in Italy...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]if CH decided to bring Cureton back for a single season swansong you''d be all for it then...?[/quote]If that was Hughton''s choice how could you not agree with it? He''s not done much wrong yet when it comes to buying players.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]So when he arrived he managed a goal every 1.5 games - very nice, the season after it dropped to every 4.4 and the season after that it was every 4.7 - neither of which are impressive returns are they?He then managed 1 in 8 at Milan, and 1 in 4 at Sampdoria (again not particularly impressive), so had it not been for that short flurry of goals close to FOUR years ago, his overall record in Italy would be average to poor.The sad truth is that he only ever looks at his best when surrounded by average to poor players, but when put on the biggest stages with the best players e.g. Barca and Milan - he fails miserably.Is he an awful signing (assuming we''re interested) - no, is he really what we should be looking at - not IMHO...[/quote]

"Antonio Conte frequently rotated his strikers last season, but

Quagliarella maintained an impressive striker rate nonetheless. The

Italian scored nine times in 27 Serie A appearances, only 13 of which

were starts, and four times in seven Champions League matches.

Considering he only played one full match in the league,

Quagliarella’s strike rate is impressive, with the forward scoring a

goal for every 128 minutes he played."

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/07/18/nh-southampton-and-norwich-city-to-fight-for-fabio-quagliarella/

[quote user="lappinitup"]"Antonio Conte frequently rotated his strikers last season, but Quagliarella maintained an impressive striker rate nonetheless. The Italian scored nine times in 27 Serie A appearances, only 13 of which were starts, and four times in seven Champions League matches.Considering he only played one full match in the league, Quagliarella’s strike rate is impressive, with the forward scoring a goal for every 128 minutes he played."http://hereisthecity.com/2013/07/18/nh-southampton-and-norwich-city-to-fight-for-fabio-quagliarella/[/quote]Sorry Lapps, but WTF does Quagliarella have to do with the previous comment????

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Sorry Lapps, but WTF does Quagliarella have to do with the previous comment????[/quote]Jeez Indy. I''m blaming it on the sun. [:$]

Sounds like a figure of ridicule in Argentina, where he is nicknamed ''The White Drogba'' (ironically). 
Looks a little bit like a certain Norwich legend here though: http://www.sempreinter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Maxi-Lopez.jpg

Divide his minutes on the pitch by 90 then his stats are (only Italian Serie A as obviously they play crap football in Brasil and Russia);

12/13 Goals 1 in 2.5 : Assists 1 in 5

11/12 Goals 1 in 3 : Assists 1 in 3

10/11 Goals 1 in 4 : Assists 1 in 10

09/10 Goals 1 in 1.5 : Assists 1 in 5

Which is none too shoddy. As the second/Hooper/£5m striker who will probably be on the bench if we play an AM behind RvW I can''t see an issue.

maxi lopez ready to accept 3 year contract at Norwich according to reports in Italy also the fee is 4 million