Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Football or what?

Its the summer, football isn''t top of the list. so where do we go for our sport?

My two sports have always been football and tennis, one for winter, one for summer..  I''ve tried cricket and golf and really don''t see the point in them - watching or playing.  The antics of cricketers over the years has put me off.  The list is endless from Gower and co buzzing around in little aeroplanes to Flintoff''s drunken melees, not to mention the fixing scandals.  Golf is so tedious to watch and play, better just go for a walk.

So what does anyone else do?  Running? Endurance sports? Arm wrestling?  [:^)] 

Cycling for me, and I''m always watching the f1 but little else in between. It''s tough without regular football when I have very little interest in other sports over the summer.

I follow the cycling during the season quite a lot as well as the football, and the NFL during the winter as well

.......and footballers antics are obviously so many better than cricketers.

If you ''get'' cricket, then there''s nothing better on a summer day: to have it on either engrossed all the time or on in the background while doing other things. Watching the best over I''ve ever seen when Flintoff had Ricky Ponting petrified with every delivery is a completely different excitement to that of football, but still fantastic sport.

Cricket for me and it''s a comforting contrast to the pressures my heart is put under watching the yella fellas.

I am, however, like a spare doo dah at a thingy until footie starts again

Sports I take part in are Distance/ Road Running & Squash and 5-a-side footy throughout the year. Sports I watch are Rugby, Athletics, Boxing, Cycling (only Olympics & Tour of France, come on Frome !) Grand Prix, Cricket, Golf and of course Football !

"Excited Canary"Off to the first 2 days of the Ashes!!

How many years in advance do you have to get tickets?

Big Nba fan as well. Don''t really follow much else. I generally watch all the big sporting activities like the ashes,wimbledon and lions tour and look for the odd result in various sporting events. Though thats as far as i go.

I''m unlucky that the only other sport I have a genuine interest in (gridiron football) is all finished by February and won''t start again until September. Until then, I''ll watch whatever association football I can find (MLS is still in season, and the Women''s Euros start soon) and pro-wrestling (more sports-entertainment than pure sport, but I enjoy it all the same).   

Yeah I am planning on wearing it! Trent Bridge is just up the road for me so I go quite a bit. Went to the Ashes test there back in 2005 when I think we won by 3 wickets chasing a very small score!

Lovely ground.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Its the summer, football isn''t top of the list. so where do we go for our sport?

My two sports have always been football and tennis, one for winter, one for summer..  I''ve tried cricket and golf and really don''t see the point in them - watching or playing.  The antics of cricketers over the years has put me off.  The list is endless from Gower and co buzzing around in little aeroplanes to Flintoff''s drunken melees, not to mention the fixing scandals.  Golf is so tedious to watch and play, better just go for a walk.

[/quote]Cricket''s my favourite sport & always has been, possibly because I was quite good at it.  Also have a growing love for Baseball.I run 3-4 times a week, 5k up to 8 miles on Sundays.  Mostly because I spend too much time in front of a keyboard.Surprised "the antics of Cricketers" has put you off cricket, but sexual abuse and violence towards women by footballers hasn''t deterred you.  I think you might as well just say you don''t like cricket rather than looking for lame excuses?

1. Cricket - It''s better than football for too many reasons but primarily because you support the game itself before your team.2. Cricket3. Cricket4. NHL Ice Hockey (which won''t start again until Sept)I also love cycling (although I get overtaken by everyone). I have a meeting at 11 and then at 12 tomorrow. I could cry. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]Its the summer, football isn''t top of the list. so where do we go for our sport?

[/quote]

I can understand why you might find golf tedious. It''s difficult to master and you will always run into someone that''s better than you. Not your cup of tea at all. Of course, when one is able to throw ego aside and embrace the absolute discipline required even to achieve a reasonable level of proficiency then, and only then, does the person who is unafraid of being called a "duffer" learn to enjoy the absolute fascination and challenge that golf offers.

Apart from my love for golf ( walking, of course ) I run 3 miles three times a week, go to the gym for weight training and swimming three times a week, do the gardening and housework and sleep like a baby every night. 

In terms of doing, walking. In terms of watching, nothing. In terms of following, cricket, the greatest game, and the Tour.

Nothing compares to football. Summer is pretty much a sport-free zone for me. I get mildly interested if someone I want to win actually Hudson: Well that''s great, that''s just fuckin'' great, man. Now what the fuck are we supposed to do? We''re in some real pretty shit now man...

Hicks: Are you finished?does. I can''t be bothered with the ashes really tho I''d prefer us to win. I think a day of cricket produced about 5 minutes of watchable highlights (on an exciting day). But each to their own.

Sorry my footer got copied into my post somehow and I think it probably is an improvement. Sorry for the strong language - I blame the iPhone.

I''m happy to try any sport, but it is mainly Tennis and Cricket for me - the latter being the main one, I used to be a Kent member (effectively a season ticket holder) but let it go a few years ago when we had kids....they are sadly rather crap at the mo so not a lot lost! Is a shame there''s not a lot of it on (non Sky) tv as getting my boys interested is damn hard.