Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Becchio breaks his duck.

Not had a fantastic start to his career at Norwich, for whatever reason, but a new season means a fresh start and it was good to see he has scored his first goal for us.   Murphy too, but Becchio''s goal could be the more significant, especially if he has a big part to play this season, either in the team or from the bench.    A glimpse of his class in Howson''s goal v. WBA and now a goal, albeit in a friendly.   Sometimes the best things are worth waiting for and  now Holt has gone, maybe he will emerge as the player most likely to partner RVW, or at least offer a good alternative.

At first look, I thought the thread said he had broken his back, so glad I read that wrong.

Maybe not had a fantastic start to his career, but was he given the chance...nope.

Seems he is getting his chance in the USA and so far so good...long may it continue...and improve.

Be interesting if he is played with RVW in the next friendly and how they compliment each other.

Can''t wait.

He''s just not had a chance, I think he can do a job for us as part of a team of strikers, he knows where the back of the net is!

putting him in the shop window......... ;)

feel a bit sorry for him i cant see him being anything but 3rd or maybe 4th choice again by the time the window shutslikely to be 1 up front again and you would expect us to get at least another striker, he might not even get on the bench too often

Maybe no surprise that he linked well with Howson for "that" goal and Snoddy for this one. You would think he could find form with a lot of the same players that helped him with his tally at Leeds!

Give the lad a break guys, hardly had a chance to prove himself yet, 18/19 goals in first half of last season in a avg leeds side, I think/hope he can do well for us this coming season.

Some on here seem to forget that Ruddy, Turner, Howson,and Ryan Bennett didn''t set the world ablaze straight away - in fact many were wanting rid off them (me with Ruddy)Yet the club seemed to know what they were doing - and I suspect that Bechio was brought in to replace Holt rather than partner him, so maybe give him timeIf he had been playing regularly and not been up tp it then fine - however we are in a far longer timecframe than previously. Players are in various stages of development as with us seeing the club sign a young 18 goalkeeper when we already had Ruddy, Bunn and both Rudd and Steer in the wings.I think some fans totally misunderstand what is going on at the club. If you think that the past two seasons in the PL have been good then my suggestion is ................ you ain''t see nothing yet !

The goal he score in the pre-season friendly was reminiscent of Holt - quickly getting in front of you marker, and putting you head there powerfully. Well taken, even if the opposition was poor.

I agree with comments - his career at Norwich has had a difficult start, possibly not helped by a not very good command of English, - to judge from his interview from the US. How long has he been in England?

He''s a good player. A better player than Kamara but there was a bit more buzz around Kamara because of the story around him and stuff, plus he popped up at the right time to score that goal against Everton.

I wouldn''t like to compare them overmuch as they have different attributes, but I would prefer KK.

As the so-called "third" striker their main role would be impactful  and I feel that Kamara has the edge in this respect being more of a nuisance to defenders and more likely to make things happen.

KK is gone though, but I''m glad he came.

I have been able to quite take to Becchio in the same way if the truth be known. A pity really because poor old Luciano has not really had too much of a chance and has done nothing wrong at CR even though there was a hint of a bit of an Argey Bargey at Elland Road towards the end, if Warnock is to be believed. 

I wouldn''t really want him as anymore than an infrequent performer from what I have seen and one goal in a pre-season friendly doesn''t change that view much.

Edit::

"Unable" to take to Becchio in the same way.

Has CH a similar dilemma, I ask?

He always preferred to select Kamara, yet LB is the one who remains at Carrow Road. Strange.

not at all strangewe have a pattern of developing players and it''s most likely that Bechio was not u to what they wanted early oncertainly looked the part latergive him a chance, he''ll come good

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

I wouldn''t like to compare them overmuch as they have different attributes, but I would prefer KK.

As the so-called "third" striker their main role would be impactful  and I feel that Kamara has the edge in this respect being more of a nuisance to defenders and more likely to make things happen.

[/quote]

Hmm. Kamara is great at winning things in the air and he''s obviously quicker across the turf than Becchio (not that he put that to use as often as he maybe should) but Becchio is just as much of a nuisance, if not more.

In the Everton game Becchio worked very hard for an hour, putting defenders under pressure and chasing the ball down - without ever really being put in a position to score a goal. Kamara then came on and powered in that header. He grabbed the headlines and plaudits for that (fair enough) but Becchio''s hard-working performance was overlooked/forgotten about.

To me Kamara was just too short of ideas when he had the ball at his feet. Quite often, after he''d done well to win it, you could tell he didn''t really know where to go with it.

Becchio knows the ropes much better and is the better footballer, in my opinion.

[quote user="City1st"]not at all strangewe have a pattern of developing players and it''s most likely that Bechio was not u to what they wanted early oncertainly looked the part latergive him a chance, he''ll come good

[/quote]
Agree City 1st not strange.
We are hardly going to take KK on a short loan and not play him. I have also felt that the KK signing also was in part to help promote the Canary brand globally. Created interest in the States and Sierra Leone.
Luciano in for the long haul, so lets judge him when he gets his chance, which he has not really had yet.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]

Hmm. Kamara is great at winning things in the air and he''s obviously quicker across the turf than Becchio (not that he put that to use as often as he maybe should) but Becchio is just as much of a nuisance, if not more.

In the Everton game Becchio worked very hard for an hour, putting defenders under pressure and chasing the ball down - without ever really being put in a position to score a goal. Kamara then came on and powered in that header. He grabbed the headlines and plaudits for that (fair enough) but Becchio''s hard-working performance was overlooked/forgotten about.

To me Kamara was just too short of ideas when he had the ball at his feet. Quite often, after he''d done well to win it, you could tell he didn''t really know where to go with it.

Becchio knows the ropes much better and is the better footballer, in my opinion.

[/quote]

That is exactly right. And with that type of performance - hard-working but not threatening - Becchio will be useful next season - as the fourth striker in the squad. But we need two other strikers (or one and a striker-midfielder) who will provide more of a goal threat.

Fair enough GJP, but I would nevertheless much prefer KK on the bench than I would LB. The Everton game you mentioned is the clue as to why.

Kamara was very  new to the English game, let alone the Premiership and this likely contributed to the lack of awareness you alluded to.

He is gone now though and we have LB. Strange to me.

Beccs biggest problem is that he is awfully slow and not ruthless enough as Holt was for us.

He is good player to have when we are behind as then you just need someone to be in the box as a target, but in a team game in those few opportunities he didnt offer much.

In my opinion his work effort in Everton game just wasnt enough, He was always few steps late or in wrong position. When Kamara came on he ofc had fresh legs against tired, but his energy and positioning was so much better than what Becc offered. Thats why he probably won their battle of being second striker for us.

Anyway as I have been talking about previous season our game plan is now bit more modern than it was under lambert and definently more modern what they used in Leeds and it is not always easy to come middle of the season and try to fit in. Specilly if your game is not based on speed and technique.

Now he has pre-season time to convince coaching staff that he is worth of more than being only tactical choise when we need pure target player.

I still dont see him as a big part of our season, but squad player are no less important for success and I can be horrible wrong and glad if I''m

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Fair enough GJP, but I would nevertheless much prefer KK on the bench than I would LB. The Everton game you mentioned is the clue as to why.

Kamara was very  new to the English game, let alone the Premiership and this likely contributed to the lack of awareness you alluded to.

He is gone now though and we have LB. Strange to me.

[/quote]

But if RVW and the other two strikers we get in offer what Kamara offered, but better, then there is no point in keeping Kamara. I don''t think Becchio is a Premier league striker, but as a hold-up player - and you sometimes need those - he should have a role to play. If we had dumped Becchio and kept Kamara we probably would have felt the need to buy a replacement for Becchio.

Am I the only one to think that Becchio should have been brought on when Hooper was injured, especially with the first game so close. Or is he going somewhere?

Well i heard whispers of a move to spain on loan, but maybe this requires us to get the new no. 10 we''ve clearly after in first.

Becchio is our only other attacking option than RVW at the moment with Hooper potentially injured and likely to miss out the Everton game. Becchio will be at least on the bench on Saturday.

Should Hooper be back next week, and we''ve brought in at least 1 more ''number 10'' then the dynamic may change and Becchio could go.

Murphy bros got a goal each and loza. Bassong played 60 mins. Becchio off injured after clash of heads. Nash and Butterfield both featured.