Sign in to follow this  
 Zak Van Burger

Not a single new Hooper thread today so far.

Did anyone see the Neil Lennon interview on SSN last night? I''m sure that he said Nottingham (meaning Norwich I presume) have made a bid but they turned it down.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Did anyone see the Neil Lennon interview on SSN last night? I''m sure that he said Nottingham (meaning Norwich I presume) have made a bid but they turned it down.[/quote]

That''s mental if true. It''s starting to look like we either don''t want him, or we have indeed set out some sort of ''take it or leave'' it offer.

Apologies, he was actually talking about NFFC;

"I think Peter was speaking to Nottingham today to tell them that he''s not for sale, or if he is for sale they are going to have to come back with a sizeable offer."

Not a single new Hooper thread today so far.

But he''s turned up in the Times Crossword today though.

6. Take the heart out of a Fer, for example, hooray, and come up with a ''will he won''t he'' conundrum. (4,6)

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Apologies, he was actually talking about NFFC;

"I think Peter was speaking to Nottingham today to tell them that he''s not for sale, or if he is for sale they are going to have to come back with a sizeable offer."[/quote]

Lennon misquoted. Looks like the usual poor reporting by some of our English media.  The Scottish Herald says :  "Lennon, who revealed that chief executive Peter Lawwell spoke with

Nottingham Forest yesterday to inform them Kelvin Wilson was not for

sale unless their £1.5m bid was improved substantially, admitted Celtic

would need to play more impressively against Elfsborg than they had

against Cliftonville
."

Someone has scooted through an article and not read it through properly.   Notts Forest interested in Wilson, not Hooper.

Seems obvious to me that QPR have offered enough but he doesn''t want to go there, we haven''t offered enough but he does want to come to us. So there''s an empasse with Celtic refusing our offer and Hooper left hanging. And everyone has a gun to everyone''s head:

Hooper to Celtic - "if you don''t let me go i won''t play for you and you''ll get nothing for me when my contract ends."

Celtic to Hooper - "you''re not going anywhere until we get the offer we want from a club you want to move to."

Celtic to Norwich - "if you want him you have to pay us £5m."

Norwich to Celtic - "if you want to get some money for him before he leaves for nothing, you better sell him to us."

So it''s all about whose gun is firing blanks! If Celtic can financially cope with him leaving for nothing - they are unlikely to have been budgeting for his transfer - they will win out. Once the window is shut, Hooper will have to be bought back in to the fold and will have to get on with it and show he''s a professional. Also, the longer it drags on the more it favours Celtic as we will be moving on to other targets. Which is a shame. As others have said, i''d much prefer him and RvW than someone like Maxi Lopez who seems a very strange target for us!

You might be right a1, but surely all this procrastination is about more than just £1/2m or so?

I think that there might be more to it than that and, for one reason or another, our interest may heave wained somewhat.

Hooper''s demands might be excessive or one or two of the other irons in the fire might be hotter than we realise.

I have always felt that a surprise might be in store and Hooper is anything but a surprise now.   

[quote user="a1canary"]

Seems obvious to me that QPR have offered enough but he doesn''t want to go there, we haven''t offered enough but he does want to come to us. So there''s an empasse with Celtic refusing our offer and Hooper left hanging. And everyone has a gun to everyone''s head:

Hooper to Celtic - "if you don''t let me go i won''t play for you and you''ll get nothing for me when my contract ends."

Celtic to Hooper - "you''re not going anywhere until we get the offer we want from a club you want to move to."

Celtic to Norwich - "if you want him you have to pay us £5m."

Norwich to Celtic - "if you want to get some money for him before he leaves for nothing, you better sell him to us."

[/quote]Norwich to Hooper - "Come play football for us, or I''ll shoot you in the f***ing head"Hooper to Norwich - "Please don''t shoot me, or I''ll shoot you in the f***ing head"....sorry, I just wanted to complete the picture so everyone had 2 guns. It''s more fair, and it would look better on a movie.

@a1canary

You’ve made quite a few presumptions there. Hooper has never said he wants to

go to Norwich, he has never said he wants to leave Celtic, in fact he’s not

said anything at all.

Where we are just now is, there is a

contract on the table from Celtic, he has not signed this. This can only be for

1 of 2 reasons, a) he wants to leave, or b) he wants to stay but is holding out

for a better contract offer.

Celtic accepted a bid for Hooper last

week, believed to have been QPR in the region of £5m, Hooper’s representatives

have been in discussions with them but no deal has been done, either because

the deal isn’t good enough (unlikely since QPR are throwing money at players)

or he doesn’t want to go to QPR/The Championship.

I suppose the real test will come if

Norwich make a bid that matches Celtic’s valuation of the player.

Celtic have accepted a bid from QPR... I think we''re going to lose out. I''m dissapointed.

Nothing new Stig. Hoopers still targeting the premiership. If he goes to QPR, it''ll be because we''ve decided we didn''t want him.

[quote user="NCFC TIll I die"]I thought QPR already had a bid accepted but hooper was struggling to agree terms.[/quote]
That what I thought as well. Maybe it was just paper talk? Although this is just ''sky sports sources'' which is far from an official conformation. 

Reports claimed a bid had been accepted, but it then emerged it wasn''t true.I think this bid probably means he is going there, unless someone else steps in last minute

If QPR have had a bid accepted after Lennon said a few days back he would hold talks with Hooper over his future I wouldn''t mind betting he has indicated he would be willing to join QPR.

I''m disappointed because I really wanted him at CR but I can really see him joining them now.

Gutted.

Management really couldn''t have fancied him that much.

I really hope we are confident in our other options or it could get messy.

All I''m saying is, between quagmire, Lopez and Hooper it doesn''t seem like our attacking prospects are grtting any better. Hooper as it stands currently would fit into our attack because we only have two others... Please let us not squander this chance because McNally is such a ''badass''...

Heard it in various threads that we should stump up that extra £1m and just get the job done and bring him in. Wonder if it is just because its the club money that people think that £1m (or approximately 25% on what we are reported to be offering) should just be shelled out without a second thought?

If you were looking to buy a house that was worth £250,000 but the sellers wanted more, would you think "sod this lets just pay another £50,000"?

My point is that we have done well to get out of the hole that we were in debt wise. Lets not allow ourselves to be held to ransom by Celtic, the same way that we didn''t allow ourselves to be held to ransom by Peterborough for CMS.

The moment that we start to think the £1,000,000 isn''t a lot of money to our club is the moment that we get ideas above our station. And we don''t want to head in that direction again.

Only my humble opinion of course....

It''s hardly being "held to ransom". He''s our player, if you want him, you pay what we value him at.

I know exactly what you are getting there Dan as I lean towards frugality with NCFC''s money more than I do my own.

However it works both ways. We reportedly were uninterested in a reported £5m+ of Chelsea''s money for Ruddy after all. We have also cashed in on some players this Summer as well, what with £2m+ plus for Holt and £1m+ for Vaughan, whilst it is reported today that Doncaster are to pay £1m for Barnett.

Now bring the vast sums that the Club will be earning next season from all sources and that £1m pales into insignificance, especially when the rewards for success are duplicated for as long as we can achieve it.

A Club like Norwich City will always need to walk a tightrope between income and expenditure, but the powers that be seem to be making a pretty good job of it so far 

Paul - if you think that is how simple transfers are dealt with, then you are being naïve.

Try using the ''selling your house'' analogy

All this is predicated on the assumption that we still Hooper, or rather that CH still wants him.

It did seem that a few weeks back we did in fact make a bid, but apparently much lower than that of QPR. We have had opportunity to increase the bid, perhaps to £5.5m, which would apparently satisfy both Lennon and the player. If so, why haven''t we?

Are we playing a game of poker, testing out Lennon? This could be self-defeating, as Lennon keeps saying that he wants Hooper with them for one more season. Does he really, or is he playing games? He has already signed another striker, wouldn''t £4m help towards that?

What is clear is that things have changed since January at both ends, but mainly at ours. In January there was a real panic, "Sign a striker, any striker. We are not scoring goals!" We may have offered as much as £7m. At present we have found a goal scorer, - RVW and possibly Fer, and we have money to acquire  a very good striker or two from Europe or elsewhere. The names we have heard as interesting CH are surely able to offer more than Hooper, who is a good goal converter but little more.

So is the situation that our apparent valuation of £4m for Hooper is an indication of what we now think that he is worth, and we are not interested in at even a few hundred thousand more. Or could Hooper become a target in a month from now, if he is still at Celtic, and we have drawn blanks everywhere else? In this case presumably we shall have to match the QPR bid, and Lennon has won, or if he gets slightly panicky we get Hooper at the lower figure and McN''s poker has won. 

I''m disappointed if that proves to be the case. Given we arguably need three strikers before the window closes we are indeed involved in a high risk game.

If you are selling a house that you value at £250,000 and someone offers you £200,000 ... do you just accept it? Here''s the latest from BBC journo "QPR big thought to be in the region of £5m. Norwich still keen and could yet make a late bid"