Sign in to follow this  
CanaryDan

Team for Everton

Hi all, if we didn''t make anymore signings, what would everyone''s line-up for the first game be? Mine would be:

Ruddy, Olsson, Bassong, Turner, Martin, Pilkington, Fer, Tettey, Snodgrass, Hoolahan and v. Wolfswinkel

Ncfc 2002

Not a bad starting XI, though Bradders for Tettey everyday of the week, for me; Redmond to come off the bench sounds good.

Hopefully we''ll have a couple of other new guys, Hooper/Quag off RvW might work nicely.

Carrying on from last season - attack, attack, attack, SHOOT and yes, I would like to see us play 4-4-2 at home and no I don''t agree that 4-5-1 can be ''as attacking'' at home. On that basis:

Ruddy

Whittaker Bassong Turner Olsson

Pilkington Fer Johnson Snodgrass

RvW new striker

The will undoubtedly be more signings, however, based on current players...

Ruddy

Martin   Bassong   Turner   Ollson

Johnson     Fer

Snodgrass    Hoolahan   Pilkington

RVW

Subs:

Bunn, Garrido, Bennett R & E, Redmond & Becchio

I think if we struggle to find a goal scoring number 10 we should be looking to develop Howson into being able to play behind RVW. Wes still has a part to play but Howson can be a lot more penetrative, his best performances for Leeds came in that position and he looked threatening towards the end of the season when going forward. Gives us another option other than Wes in there.

Ruddy

Martin, Bennett, Turner, Garrido

Snodgrass, Fer, Johnson, Redmond

Howson

Wolfswinkel

Or swap Howson for Hooper and go 4-4-2.

I think Redmond will start ahead of Pilkington, Garrido ahead of Olsson because of the latter lacking fitness and game as of yet.

Bassong, will be given his time to get fit rather than thrown straight in so I wouldn''t expect him to start vs Everton.

This would be my team for Everton (if Bassong not fit).                   RuddyMartin  R. Bennett  Turner   Garrido E. Bennett  Fer  Howson  Redmond             Hooper   RVW

Attack minded, pace out wide, strong in the centre, two forwards.  Maybe not what CH will choose, but why buy Hooper and RVW and then not play them together?    This team would I believe over run most other teams and get plenty of chances to score.  May concede one or two, but would more than likely score plenty, too.

[quote user="lake district canary"]This would be my team for Everton (if Bassong not fit). 

Ruddy

Martin  R. Bennett  Turner   Garrido

E. Bennett  Fer  Howson  Redmond

Hooper   RVW

Attack minded, pace out wide, strong in the centre, two forwards.  Maybe not what CH will choose, but why buy Hooper and RVW and then not play them together?    This team would I believe over run most other teams and get plenty of chances to score.  May concede one or two, but would more than likely score plenty, too.

[/quote]

100% agree!

Pace out wide!!!

I''m struggling to accept that we''d spend upwards of £14 million on two new strikers and then not play them both-Hooper won''t have come here to play on the bench-and I can''t see that he would have needed "assurances" that he''d be a starter either, you just assume, for the money and desire we showed in getting him that he''ll start.

I''m thinking a 4-3-1-2 with that in mind.

Assuming everyone is fit.

Ruddy-Martin-Turner-Bassong-Olsson-Snoddy-BJ-Howson-Fer-RVW-Hooper

The trouble with messing around with your own team/formation is not so much who is in as who you leave out. The above has no Redmond, Wes, Pilks or Tettey, amongst others. I guess the phrase "everyone is fit" is the telling one-since when do we have that luxury?

Above is a silly guess. Maybe RVW will tuck in just behind Hooper. But can''t see both not starting in most games if they''re both available.

Latest rumour this morning is that Joey Barton is joining Everton in a cut-price, lower salary deal. If so, that could be a fun day on the first day of the season !!!

Not for a minute am I suggesting this, because it never seems to work well at this level (see Wigan) but on paper, I do think we have the players for a wingback system with three at the back.

Martin - is he a fullback is he a centreback? Perhaps he''s the right sided defender of a three.

Bassong, left footed CB who can also play left back - ideal for the left sided CB role

Turner/Bennett ideal for the central berth.

Wingback options - Olsson and Garrido, both very capable of playing that left sided role. Snodgrass and E Bennett both excellent in their defensive contributions, wingers who can defend and have the work ethic, both could be excellent in that role. Whittaker also very well suited, arguably on either side.

That would allow us to play two up front with one in behind, which could be Hoolahan (always more effective with two striking options in front of him) Howson - most effective here rather than CM (ask Leeds fans) Butterfield (if he''s in CH''s plans this season) Redmond (considered by Hughton as an option here) Pilkington (two-footed and an eye for goal, sure he could be very effective here) Both Snoddy and Benno have played here too - Fer is also an option.

On paper looks good, and I think we have the players suited to the system, but in reality I think we would get killed with that system in the Premiership! Im just suggesting that this is the system on paper that would allow us to harness the talents in our squad. I dont think we have any wingers who couldnt be used effectively in other positions

We haven''t sold Bradley Johnson have we? One or two people above give him no mention at all in their chosen line-ups.

We already have the prospect of being without Holt''s on-field presence for the new season so, IMO, to do without Bradders would be very unwise.

We all know Johnson''s weaknesses, let''s not forget his strengths.

Ideally:

Ruddy

Martin Turner Bassong Garrido

Howson Tettey

Snoddgrass Redmond

Fer

RVW

Perhaps the two new strikers will play together with RVW in the ''hole'' and Hooper leading the line or vice versa. If Hughton only plays one striker he risks a lot more criticism than last season, and the answer really is in his own hands.

I think Hughton will start cautious to avoid a repeat of last seasons opener. it was a long time ago, but didnt we start with 2 up top in that game? jacko and holt?

Ruddy

Martin, Turner, Bassong, Garrido

Snodgrass, Fer, Johno, pilks

Hoolahan

RVW

subs of: redmond, hooper and howson.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

We haven''t sold Bradley Johnson have we? One or two people above give him no mention at all in their chosen line-ups.   We already have the prospect of being without Holt''s on-field presence for the new season so, IMO, to do without Bradders would be very unwise.   We all know Johnson''s weaknesses, let''s not forget his strengths.

[/quote]

You can''t spend the money we are spending on players and still have players who can''t pass reliably playing with them.  We are either upgrading or we are not.  Johnson has to improve if he wants to stay in the team.  On paper he does look  weaker than some of the others.  They can''t all play, so Johnson may be one that loses out.   

Before you have seen at least 1 friendly where our strongest side plays with 2 forwards majority of the time dont even think about we would do it in Everton game.

At the moment without seeing any of our pre season games and knowing who has been fit and whose not.

Ruddy

Whittaker - Martin - Turner - Garrido

Fer - Johnson/Tettey

Snoddy - Hoolahan - Redmond

RvW

Anyway at this point we can tell nothing about Hughton plans except he is still using 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1 as his primary tactic. Last of friendlies will tell a lot more where players stand in pecking order.

[quote user="lake district canary"]This would be my team for Everton (if Bassong not fit).                   RuddyMartin  R. Bennett  Turner   Garrido E. Bennett  Fer  Howson  Redmond             Hooper   RVW Attack minded, pace out wide, strong in the centre, two forwards.  Maybe not what CH will choose, but why buy Hooper and RVW and then not play them together?    This team would I believe over run most other teams and get plenty of chances to score.  May concede one or two, but would more than likely score plenty, too.[/quote]

Agree except Snoddy for Benno,  I think Howson is much more suited to an old school central midfield roll and it looks like Fer can be everywhere ! Hopefully we can play this at home. Still not sure about number 10 in a 4-5-1 don''t see Butterfield , Benno or Howson being the answer and I think Wes was probably one of the biggest reasons for limited  goals last year.

Maybe this away

Ruddy

Martin R Bennett Turner Garrido

Johnson  Howson

Snoddy Fer Pilks/Redmond

RVW

Or if we do sign a number 10 drop Fer back alongside Johnson/Howson

1 more player would certainly give us a huge amount of options Or maybe Hooper/RVW in there could be the answer, time will tell.

Hopefully we will start to see some signs in the remaining friendlies. 

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]This would be my team for Everton (if Bassong not fit). 

Ruddy

Martin  R. Bennett  Turner   Garrido

E. Bennett  Fer  Howson  Redmond

Hooper   RVW

[/quote]

Agree except Snoddy for Benno,  I think Howson is much more suited to an old school central midfield roll and it looks like Fer can be everywhere ! Hopefully we can play this at home. Still not sure about number 10 in a 4-5-1 don''t see Butterfield , Benno or Howson being the answer and I think Wes was probably one of the biggest reasons for limited  goals last year.

Maybe this away

Ruddy

Martin R Bennett Turner Garrido

Johnson  Howson

Snoddy Fer Pilks/Redmond

RVW

Or if we do sign a number 10 drop Fer back alongside Johnson/Howson

1 more player would certainly give us a huge amount of options Or maybe Hooper/RVW in there could be the answer, time will tell.

Hopefully we will start to see some signs in the remaining friendlies. 

[/quote]

Pace goes when Snodgrass comes in!

Why are far too many people still caught up n this two striker malarkey?

Most of the top clubs in the world only play one up front. It''s modern football. Two strikers can and does work, but considering how even clubs that do play two up front, tend to have one (sometimes both) spend more time out wide/coming deep, and the amount of one up front sides, surely people should realise formation has little to do with how attacking a team is.

It''s about personal and tactics, Hughton could play 5 up front, doesn''t mean we''d be any more attacking or score more goals if the tactics were defence minded, and the players weren''t right.

[quote user="Michael Bates"]Ruddy

Martin, Bennett, Turner, Garrido

Snodgrass, Fer, Johnson, Redmond

Howson

Wolfswinkel

Or swap Howson for Hooper and go 4-4-2.

I think Redmond will start ahead of Pilkington, Garrido ahead of Olsson because of the latter lacking fitness and game as of yet.

Bassong, will be given his time to get fit rather than thrown straight in so I wouldn''t expect him to start vs Everton.[/quote]

I''d agree with that MB. The only possible change being Whittaker instead of Martin, with Martin on the bench to cover CBs and RB.

It will be interesting to see how close we are. Hopefully we''ll be attack minded and not too defensive.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Why are far too many people still caught up n this two striker malarkey?

Most of the top clubs in the world only play one up front. It''s modern football. Two strikers can and does work, but considering how even clubs that do play two up front, tend to have one (sometimes both) spend more time out wide/coming deep, and the amount of one up front sides, surely people should realise formation has little to do with how attacking a team is.

It''s about personal and tactics, Hughton could play 5 up front, doesn''t mean we''d be any more attacking or score more goals if the tactics were defence minded, and the players weren''t right.[/quote]

You are right, we played like that when Holt was in the team, he used to drop deep and wide behind another striker, when we played two.  We did that last season on a few occasions under Hughton too.     But, we have two expensive strikers on the books.  It would appear that they are both going to feature in games, otherwise why pay out all that money. For back up?  I don''t think so.  Certainly home games they should both play and maybe even away, although one may have to be content with coming on from the bench, away from home.     442 or 4411.  Makes no odds, like you say, but I still think they will both be in the team against Everton.

Ruddy

Whittaker Martin R Bennett Garrido

Fer Howson

Snodgrass Hoolahan Redmond

RvW

Subs Bunn, Turner, Olsson, Johson/Tettey, Pilkington, E Bennett, Hooper

[quote user="Pabs"]

Ruddy
Whittaker Martin R Bennett Garrido

Subs  Turner [/quote]

Is Turner on the bench because he''s not fit or because you think the defence would be better without him?

[quote user="Lavanche"]At the moment without seeing any of our pre season games and knowing who has been fit and whose not.

Ruddy Whittaker - Martin - Turner - Garrido Fer - Johnson/Tettey Snoddy - Hoolahan - Redmond RvW

Anyway at this point we can tell nothing about Hughton plans except he is still using 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1 as his primary tactic. Last of friendlies will tell a lot more where players stand in pecking order.[/quote]

Turner has not featured at all in pre-season and whilst he may be "ready" he will be a possible 6 games worth of fitness behind R. Bennett and R. Martin. For me it would be

Ruddy

Whittaker       R. Martin     R. Bennett      Garrido

Snodgrass      Howson         Fer           Redmond

Hooper

v. Wolfswinkel