Sign in to follow this  
Cerberus

Junior Hoilett Part Ex?

Probably just another another silly season rumour, but one of the apparently better connected posters on the main QPR board (WATRB) claims that we may be swapping Becchio for Hoilett. IF, this is even remotely true, I would be interested in the Blackburn version of Hoilett who always looked good against us. Anyone else heard this? QPR are shipping out high wage players and Harry will know that Becchio has scoring pedigree in the Championship.http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/showthread.php?165027-lucciano-bechhio

Would be amazed if this was true.That said, I would like Hoilett here, I think he could be developed into an excellent attacking player and would be more likely to get near the first team than Becchio, who is looking like one of our strangest signings.I hope one day someone reveals the full story on Morison/Becchio, a transfer swap that really didn''t work out for player or club.

Hoilett will be on silly money at QPR. I can see him taking a massive pay cut to come here.

End of last season when he was leaving Blackburn I would have been excited by him. However he has been infected with QPR disease and no one yet knows if there is a cure.

Reading - it''s never been the same since the open sewer at the back of the Barclay was replaced. On the subject of Hoilett, this isnt teh daftest of rumours as QPR will want to shed his wages, he wont want to play in the Championship and it doesnt look like Hughton has too much trust in Becchio. We also need pace and he always looked like a a dangerous player against us. If, and I stress, IF there is any truth in this QPR may accept a lower fee (i.e. a straight swap for Becchio) than the circa £5M value that Hoilett was typically mentioned at previously. If we are not paying a fee, then a wage £40K per week (a guess on my part) could be affordable on a three year deal. Depends upion how hungry teh lad is for Premiership football and there wont be many takers in teams above us in the percieved pecking order.

I think QPR was Hoillet''s chance to prove he was going to be a big player earning big money.   Unfortunately, for whatever reason he did not live up to that - and that is why we shouldn''t have him at Norwich imo.    We don''t want players who have failed at other clubs.   He didn''t do well individually  at QPR and the team didn''t do well.   That does not look good on his cv.   There are plenty of other options around who may be able to offer more.     

Am I the only one who rates Bechio? Well I''m sure Hoots does from his comments at the latter part of the season.

The lad is good in the air has good vision and for the few chances he has had I''ve been impressed.

Hoillet may be a good shout but not to sacrifice Bechio, at least not as it stands with the striker line up we have at the mo.

No-hoper Hoillett? Please God that this is just another rumour with no foundation in fact. He''s as effective as a chocolate fireguard!

"We don''t want players who have failed at other clubs"

What a ridiculous statement.

Our whole squad is built of players who have failed at other clubs, gone elsewhere and rebuilt their careers.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]"We don''t want players who have failed at other clubs" What a ridiculous statement. Our whole squad is built of players who have failed at other clubs, gone elsewhere and rebuilt their careers.[/quote]

What ????? [:^)]

Agree with ReadingCanary. I don''t want any money wasted on Hoilett thank you very much. I don''t care how good a player may be rated, but 2 successive PL relegations in 2 seasons does not strike me as someone with the confidence of general qualities that we would want.

At the very least, you need to be bringing in players whose confidence is high, it lower than a snakes belly.

Ruddy "Failed" at Everton, Russ "Failed" at Posh, Seb "Failed" at Spurs, Johnson "Failed" at Arsenal, Bennett "Failed" at Wolves, Pilks "Failed" at Old Trafford etc etc

Just because it doesn''t work out for a player at a particular club at a particular time it doesn''t mean he can''t make it elsewhere.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Ruddy "Failed" at Everton, Russ "Failed" at Posh, Seb "Failed" at Spurs, Johnson "Failed" at Arsenal, Bennett "Failed" at Wolves, Pilks "Failed" at Old Trafford etc etc

Just because it doesn''t work out for a player at a particular club at a particular time it doesn''t mean he can''t make it elsewhere.[/quote]

Ruddy was waiting for an opportunity.   Seb had been injured and was waiting for a chance to get back into the first team.  Russ failed? Never.  Johnson didn''t make it and rebuilt his career at a lower level.  Bennett was young, as was Pilks.Hoillet so called "made it" at Blackburn, but got relegated with them, didn''t make it at QPR and got relegated with them - there''s a message there isn''t there?   Unlucky?  Maybe, or maybe not able to live up to his reputation.  Some players take their chance when they get it, some spend their careers jumping from club to club never quite living up to their hype. Hoillet may be one of those.      Sometimes you have to ask why a player has failed at a particular club and look beyond his skill level to his personality.    He may get another chance at the premiership - and I hope he succeeds, for his sake -  but  I hope its not with us.   As for "ridiculous statement" ?   No - but it all depends how you class "failure" I suppose.  Every case is different, but in Hoillet''s case - no thanks.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Ruddy "Failed" at Everton, Russ "Failed" at Posh, Seb "Failed" at Spurs, Johnson "Failed" at Arsenal, Bennett "Failed" at Wolves, Pilks "Failed" at Old Trafford etc etc

Just because it doesn''t work out for a player at a particular club at a particular time it doesn''t mean he can''t make it elsewhere.[/quote]What a load of old bo lloxRussell Martin joined Posh, was made club captain and played in every game in his first season there and pretty much the rest until he joined City.

Right, let''s just digest this all. On the face of it, it sounds great! Hoilett is a pacy winger, equally comfortable both sides, just what we need. Becchio is a forward who struggled for game time in a weak strikeforce last season. Straight swap... yes please!

So... let''s scrutinise. Why would this not be any good? Well... Hoilett £50k a week, Becchio, £25k a week, that''s a million extra a year on wages alone, double that for extra fees like sign on and agent.

In addition, it could be argued that Becchio had a better year last year. Smashed 20 in for Leeds and then got a move to us where after 15 chances to play, he started only 2, played another 8 and generally made no impression, not even a negative one.

Low and behold, he played a couple of sub appearances towards the end of the year where he finally looked decent. Why ruin that?

What would i expect of Becchio this season?

Well, it''s clear we need 4 proper striking options, at least one with pace, one with intelligence/ strength and one with finishing/ movement that leads to goals.

RVW provides the latter, Holt provides the intel/ strength and for the moment until we upgrade, Vaughan provides the pace. Becchio on this would be surplus, but would provide a decent mix of all 3 to play 4th choice.

Speculation over Holt... Should he leave, then keeping Becchio becomes paramount. He''s a very similar player, and would then provide the only reliable source of striker we have with previous english football experience. Something clearly in need for a team looking for consistency in results.

In conclusion... Becchio currently is 3rd choice and with the likely arrival of Hooper, will be cemented 4th choice as Vaughan will probably leave. This means he is needed in the squad, but not essential. He would need replacing (a big inconvenience) but would not effect the first 11 at first at least.

What would Hoilett do?

Well, i''m assuming Redmond signs, we then have 4 wingers, a promising newbie with pace (redmond), a stalwart with everything but pace (snoddy), an enigma who sometimes worldbeats and sometimes plays like a league one player (pilks) and a pacy lad who lacks the ability/ confidence to make the step up (bennett)

Well Hoilett is fast (no debate there), he is experienced in playing well int the prem recently (bburn 2011/2012). He was linked with FC Bayern last summer due to this.

He has confidence he has shown in his Blackburn days.

Where he does fall down is a cross between Pilks and Bennett. He is inconsistent (perennial young player trait no matter what ability they have) and he maybe lacks confidence.

How would he likely do for us?

I''d imagine he''d have to settle for a place on the bench to start with. In my opinion, he''d fit in well with the lads here, which would be refreshing for him to see so many young and hungry pros on a modest wage, looking to grow.

Houlett has seen the big time (with wages at least) and you would have to hope this year has not poisoned him. He is now in limbo, in 1 fell swoop of a season, he''s gone from talk of Bayern Munich to fans of Norwich not being sure if they''d want him.

Time at QPR: Well, he wasn''t great, but then who was? I don''t blame him for taking the money of QPR over supposed better money elsewhere, some really great players on paper also signed up. He had a few good games but ultimately from an advanced wide position, was helpless while QPR needlessly conceeded sloppy goal after sloppy goal. I bet the strikers he was providing were providing much of an effort to bust a gut to get on the end of Hoiletts balls in.

Julio Cesar escaped with credit so why not Hoilett? Yes he played well, but he is responsible for his defence surely? Hoilett likewise should take part responsibility fot the midfield failing as a whole.

What we''d expect: After a few games of sub appearances to stop crying about his QPR year, he''d be back to his devestating Blackburn levels which killed us in both the games he played for them against us that season. Peerennial starter and serial threat constantly bummed by watching journalists who write QPR off as a blip that wasn''t his fault.

Age: He''s about 23 now, so still young despite loads of experience. He seems to have lost confidence rather than fitness and as a Norwich player, he could easily get back the former with the positive vibe around the place and a willingness to succeed. I just worry if he''d keep his head should we realistically find ourselves in a relegation battle. Should he fail, we drop him and sell him on for nothing, should he succeed, his value sky rockets to an 8 figure fee.

In conclusion:

Whilst he appears to have been massively overrated from his blackburn days, it is fact that FC Bayern only a year ago seriously considered him. His season at QPR saw him play enough, just with the wrong team and it is debatable as to whether Hoilett can be held massively accountable for QPR''s demise. Had he not had the awful season, then as a club, Norwich would be nowhere near his signature (think Zaha). This ''blip'' has made him less of a demand.

As the player, i''d take him, but while we try and improve the quality of our squad without affecting the integrity and togetherness of our squad, Hoilett may prove a bit disconcerting.

Therefore, a deal in which we only lose our 4th choice striker would be a good move for us, as i think Hoilett would be one to work back his confidence rather than expect it to land back on him, the only stipulation i''d put on him would be a performance related deal to cover us if we were relegated/ if Hoilett got fat.

Here''s my deal Junior: Direct swap for Becchio, 3 year deal with half the £50k he gets up front and the other half depends on success of the team, him and also international caps. Extension of deal with a £10k payrise formerly agreed depenent on our top flight status.

"What a load of old bo llox

Russell Martin joined Posh, was made club captain and played in every game in his first season there and pretty much the rest until he joined City."

Pretty much the rest until the new manager came and dropped him, hence him dropping down to League One on loan, before making a permanent switch when the transfer window opened. Unless my memory fails me?

My point is still valid. I''m not saying I want Hoilett, but writing a player off because it didn''t work out for him at a particular club is foolish.

I think if this is a possibility, we should try and go for it, but drive a hard bargain. If it turns out he''d prefer to stay at QPR on higher wages than take a pay cut to try and re-prove himself in the Premier League than no.We can''t gamble out biggest wages on him.

Junior Hoilett was absolutely incredible for Blackburn. Any idiots here who define by his time at QPR need to stay out of it.

He''d be a great acquisition as long as his head''s in the right place. Him signing would absolutely sort out our wingers, along with Redmond of course.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Right, let''s just digest this all...SNIP[/quote]Great post Jimmy, but didn''t want to clog up the board by quoting it in it''s entirety.I can''t understand why people don''t think this would be a very good signing.He''s a pacy, skillful player who gives us options on the wing, behind a front man and even as part of a front two, was previously wanted by Bayern and now could be available for a very good price due to QPR needing to cut their wage bill.Maybe he made the wrong choice in going to QPR, but if someone offered you a bumper pay deal, along with the chance to stay in your own country and you were also given assurances about even more spending on well known players - wouldn''t you jump at the chance rather than staying at Blackburn ffs???He was easily Blackburn''s best player that season, and whilst he didn''t have the best of seasons at QPR, he wasn''t awful and suffered from strikers failing to convert the chances he was providing, and also being fair - none of their side really had a good season (apart from Cesar who was let down by the rest of the defence).I would have liked him here before the QPR move, and that one season hasn''t been anywhere near enough to make me change my mind on the guy, so if there''s a good offer on the table and he''s happy to accept sensible wages - sign him up ASAP before we lose the chance!.

I don''t agree that Becchio has made no impression. He''s looked pretty sound the little time he''s had, got a good work rate, he was instrumental in Howson''s blinder against West Brom and would have had a goal if Johnson had laid it off against Man City rather than the silly attempt he made on goal.

For the right money surely a quality signing and a player who does still have something to prove, just the sort of player that seems to thrive at Norwich City........but unlikely this signing would ever happen of course or is it?

I hate repeating myself  ( [:)] ) but I''m going to say it again.   A player who has been  relegated twice in two seasons is not a player I want to play for Norwich.   He may have a lot to offer, he may be fantastic.   But sometimes there is a message there.   Let him fight his way back to the premiership by playing in the championship for a season - he will be a better player for it, imo.   Just handing him another ticket to the big time  will not do him - or us - any favours.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I hate repeating myself  ( [:)] ) but I''m going to say it again.   A player who has been  relegated twice in two seasons is not a player I want to play for Norwich.   He may have a lot to offer, he may be fantastic.   But sometimes there is a message there.[/quote]Oh come on LDC, it shouldn''t be about what team they play for, it''s about how good they are and what they can offer us.If for some bizarre reason Messi played for Blackpool, won the golden boot but they still got relegated and subsequently sold him to Wolves, who then themselves got relegated despite his best efforts and him scoring 30 league goals, it wouldn''t make him any less of a player, it''s simply a great player with the bad luck of being in crappy teams.Hoilett broke through at Blackburn as a younger player and despite his best efforts couldn''t keep a whole TEAM up on his own, then made the arguable mistake of signing for QPR who similarly failed as a TEAM, neither of which is a genuine indication of the player not being good enough, simply the TEAM not being strong enough.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]it shouldn''t be about what team they play for, it''s about how good they are and what they can offer us.[/quote]

Its my personal opinion and I''m not going to change my mind.   There are plenty of good players out there who have not had his negative experiences of the last two or three seasons.    I''m not saying he wouldn''t be a good player for us, I''m just saying I wouldn''t want him - for the above reasons. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]Its my personal opinion and I''m not going to change my mind.[/quote]I wouldn''t expect you to LDC, but I can''t help but express how ridiculous I think it is...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lake district canary"]Its my personal opinion and I''m not going to change my mind.[/quote]I wouldn''t expect you to LDC, but I can''t help but express how ridiculous I think it is...[/quote]"Ridiculous" is too strong.  There are plenty of people who wouldn''t want a player who has been in failed teams, especially twice in a row.  Is not a player part of a team?  [:^)]

[quote user="lake district canary"]I hate repeating myself  ( [:)] ) but I''m going to say it again.   A player who has been  relegated twice in two seasons is not a player I want to play for Norwich.   He may have a lot to offer, he may be fantastic.   But sometimes there is a message there.   Let him fight his way back to the premiership by playing in the championship for a season - he will be a better player for it, imo.   Just handing him another ticket to the big time  will not do him - or us - any favours.

[/quote]

And bassong was relegated how many times before he came to us?