Sign in to follow this  
FramCanary

Toby Alderweireld update...

That quote was from back in April, when he was questioned about Liverpool''s interest. He said they would be better a better option for him compared to Newcastle (the mid-table club in question).

Since then he has appeared to change his tune a bit, maybe due to a lack of other offers - I wouldn''t write this deal off just yet!

[quote user="Excited Canary"]That quote was from back in April, when he was questioned about Liverpool''s interest. He said they would be better a better option for him compared to Newcastle (the mid-table club in question).

Since then he has appeared to change his tune a bit, maybe due to a lack of other offers - I wouldn''t write this deal off just yet![/quote]

Thanks. That looked the case from today''s story in the Belgian paper, which had the sense not to drag up an old and perhaps not now relevant quote.Sadly it does mean my hitherto total faith in the trustworthiness of the Daily Mail may have to be scaled down.

According to the players agent, he will not be signing!

Toby Alderweireld is not going to Norwich City to work. Ajax reached with the English club agreed a transfer fee of around eight million, but negotiations between player and club faltered. It is unclear what clubs are still in the market. /

"It was not as if the club does not fit with the ambitions of Toby we were just not", assures agent Sören Lerby Saturday in conversation with the newspaper. The contract of the 24-year-old Belgian international with Ajax runs a season. Earlier he seemed on his way to Bayer Leverkusen, but the Bundesliga club did not want to meet the asking price of Ajax.

Norwich City is missing out Alderweireld a raw deal. The ambitious Canaries strengthened itself already including Ricky van Wolfswinkel and Marcus Olsson and are in an advanced stage in the transition from Leroy Fer of Twente to Carrow Road.

Don''t know how reliable caughtoffside website is?

However 30mins ago they posted that we are about to sign Alderweireld and Fer for 11.5m total.

richard askam ‏@richaskam

Norwich should seal Fer deal over weekend but can''t win em all. Informed sources in Holland say deal for Alderweireld has collapsed #ncfc

Very mixed messages out there right now but I''d say if the player hasn''t been over to take a look then it probably won''t happen. He''s obviously holding out for a bigger club. No harm in trying though. I like the new ambition Norwich have shown in trying to sign tis type of player. It''ll certainly improve our reputation.

Seems as though we were unable to reach agreement on personal terms;

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/07/13/4114344/norwich-reputation-not-the-problem-for-alderweireld-says

[quote user="FramCanary"]Seems as though we were unable to reach agreement on personal terms;

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/07/13/4114344/norwich-reputation-not-the-problem-for-alderweireld-says[/quote]

[URL]http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/07/13/4114344/norwich-reputation-not-the-problem-for-alderweireld-says[/URL]

Shame. While he would have been a great signing for us I''m not too upset as I think strikers are more of a priority at this moment.

[quote user="FramCanary"]Seems as though we were unable to reach agreement on personal terms;

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/07/13/4114344/norwich-reputation-not-the-problem-for-alderweireld-says

[/quote]

If true that is potentially very reassuring. It would suggest we are not  willing to break our affordable wage policy in order to attract players.

Never really expected this one too happen, nice to be linked with the player and actually attempting to thrash out a deal. I do wonder how much he must have been after, surely we can better the wages that Ajax are paying him. I expect he will run down his contract and get a very juicy contract offer next season from plenty of clubs.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="FramCanary"]

Seems as though we were unable to reach agreement on personal terms; http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/07/13/4114344/norwich-reputation-not-the-problem-for-alderweireld-says

[/quote]

If true that is potentially very reassuring. It would suggest we are not  willing to break our affordable wage policy in order to attract players.

[/quote]

Agreed.

I don''t get how that is reassuring, to me it appears as though we Aren''t willing to take the next step. Better players will cost more money, and if we want them we will have to pay for them. I mean, if he wanted a stupid wage then yeah thats great! But we''ve got to shift the bar sometime, right?

[quote user="priceyrice"]Never really expected this one too happen, nice to be linked with the player and actually attempting to thrash out a deal. I do wonder how much he must have been after, surely we can better the wages that Ajax are paying him. I expect he will run down his contract and get a very juicy contract offer next season from plenty of clubs.[/quote]

I am asure we can, but other clubs can better the wages wer are offering. It was always likely with the new TV deal that agents would demand higher wages from English clubs. The danger was that we would throw out the prudence part of prudence with ambition (I know it was Doncaster''s mantra but the new regime have quietly kept to it) in a bid to attract the next leel of player.

[quote user="Stig"]

I don''t get how that is reassuring, to me it appears as though we Aren''t willing to take the next step. Better players will cost more money, and if we want them we will have to pay for them. I mean, if he wanted a stupid wage then yeah thats great! But we''ve got to shift the bar sometime, right?

[/quote]

The lower leagues are littered with clubs who tried to take "the next step" but couldn''t really afford it. If we have a wage structure in place then we have to adhere to it. Whilst we''re in the best financial position we''ve ever been in, it doesn''t mean we should start paying stupid money to attract players. That''s only going to end badly for us. 

Realistically, whilst we''re self sufficent and don''t have outside investment we have zero chance of breaking into the top 6/7, if that means we have to attract the type of player who wants to prove his talent, rather than one that already has, then so be it. I''ve got no issue with the likes of Fer and RVW coming in, proving themselves and moving on in a couple of years for a hefty profit. That''s where we are at the moment and it''s a damn lot better than where we were 4 years ago.

The father of Toby Alderweireld, Vic, emphasized in the Antwerp Gazette that his son has not rejected the offer from Norwich City but on hold is put. The title of the article in the Belgian newspaper is that Norwich ''is put in the waiting room. "

AjaxFanzone.NL

"We think it''s too early now to go into an offer. The transfer period will last six weeks. We have not rejected the offer, but it is set to ''on hold'', says dad of the footballer.

Simon Black Cross, journalist Soccer International, told VI Radio on Monday that the interest of Everton and Liverpool for Alderweireld has become concrete.

---------------------------------------------------------------

that''s a rough translation.

"We think it''s too early now to go into an offer. The transfer period will last six weeks. We have the bid not rejected, but it is set to ''on hold'', says dad of the footballer. Simon Black Cross, journalist Soccer International, said Monday in VI Radio that the interest of Everton and Liverpool for Alderweireld has become concrete.

So then does that mean he''s gonna fish around for 6 weeks then if all else fails come to us?I''d be happy that we had him, but he doesn''t seem to want to come here very much