Sign in to follow this  
FramCanary

Toby Alderweireld update...

[quote user="Militant Canary"]He never said that he didn''t think we could meet our ambition. He just said the move/terms were not right for him.

No need to put words in his mouth.

I''ll happily retract this and admit my mistake if you can provide evidence that he said "I don''t think they can meet their ambition".[/quote]I''m not sure I can, but it was the Dutch guy off WOTB who keeps in touch with interviews there a lot more than everyone else. He said something like Norwich are a very ambitious club but what if they don''t achieve their aims?

"Marc Overmars says its the calm before the storm at Ajax, as he expects Toby Alderweireld, and possibly Eriksen to leave.""However according to Overmars, two Russian sides and Norwich are the only clubs to officially bid for Alderweireld"

[quote user="lharman7"]After what Hughton has said about Martin being an adequate CB fill in, don''t you all maybe think we may not be in the market now for a CB?

I reckon Hughton may reassess the CB position in the January window.[/quote]

I thought this too. Especially as he then went on to say that Ayala looked god in pre-season and that he wasnt in a rush to offload him.

Nice guy as Mr Hughton is, he seems to be developing quite a poker face. I wonder if these statements are just good man-management (ie keeping players like Ayala happy so bridges arent burned and he isnt backed into a corner) or whether he is just very good at playing things cool. Makes me wonder if these statements are made for the benefit of transfer targets - ie if they''re dragging their heels, making it known we''re not desperate for them.

Tottenham are set to sign Vlad Chiriches and Liverpool are quiet on the Toby front at the moment, do you think we''ll go back in to try again before the window shuts?

[quote user="Stig"]Tottenham are set to sign Vlad Chiriches and Liverpool are quiet on the Toby front at the moment, do you think we''ll go back in to try again before the window shuts?[/quote]wouldnt be surprised. theres little to lose from going in once more with a bid, and clearly the money is there for it as the club has bid already for him.

Id throw everything we have at this now or another defender. After watching the Hull game I am really worried for us if we do not get another CB in, without Bassong in the team we really do not look solid at the back. Martin is OK cover but it is not his best position and if he is getting in ahead of Bennett then it shows Hughton does not have the confidence in him. Yes a good No10 is also needed but IMO a high profile CB is needed even more.
Oh and Hughton needs to sort his tactics out! I don''t care if we play the 4231 formation since it works for many teams but I care that we are so static and don''t pass and move to create spaces and move the opposition around, we are to easy for a team to defend against. SORT IT OUT!..... rant over. 

Yellowblood wrote: "Hughton needs to sort his tactics out"CambridgeCanary wrote: "Totally agree Yellowblood. It was the players'' performances on the day not the tactics or even the lineup"that is not what I regard as total agreement.

[quote user="Kolin Kob"]Yellowblood wrote: "Hughton needs to sort his tactics out"CambridgeCanary wrote: "Totally agree Yellowblood. It was the players'' performances on the day not the tactics or even the lineup"that is not what I regard as total agreement.[/quote]

I thought the same Smile [:)]. But he knew what I meant I think. When I said tactics I didn''t mean the formation but more how he is "training" the players. Nearly every time I watch us play you can see we are to static, we need to pass and move a lot more to create the space for players to run into especially playing against 10 men who are defending for their lives. But it also does not help when so many of our passes were going astray, it really bugs me when a professional footballer makes simple errors. I think a lot of our problems lay on the training pitch and not the formation, for far to long we have looked dull. I understand when Hughton first came in his priority was probably to sure up the defence but we now need to start seeing how he can manage the team as an attacking force but I am also still worried about our defence hence my belief that a CB should be our priority as well as working on attacking movement in training.  

Another defender should be very low priority. Defense was last seasons strengthening- we need a midfield desperately, with a better midfield that can actually keep the ball and work it up the pitch then the defense will be under less strain and we might actually score a goal or two as well.BJ, Tettey, Howson, Snodgrass, Hoolahan, Fox, Pilks- all OK players but not one should strike fear into any prem oposition as they are all missing an element of their game. A midfield made up of those is a Championship midfield, and not a particularly outstanding one.Fer is the only midfielder I consider to be prem quality and he is not yet there. Redmond will be but is still raw in decision making.For my money we need a genuine 10 and a genuine holding DM to play with Fer. I would not be against offloading Hoolahan, BJ, Fox or Tettey while the others can all be good enough around the right spine.

Athletico Madrid have had a bid rejected according to the daily star online

Rejected Liverpool in favour of Atletico. Knew this would never ever happen for us, can''t believe the thread has gone on soo long!!

The Quaglierella one is just crazy!

Toby is not going to happen - new thread for the next link please.
With just three days of the window left at least it will not be a long one.

"August 30, 2013
Frank de Boer on Friday announced his selection for the away match against FC Groningen. Mike van der Hoorn and Davy Klaassen are the most notable names in the squad. Toby Alderweireld and Christian Eriksen missing."Just saying.

[quote user="lappinitup"]"August 30, 2013
Frank de Boer on Friday announced his selection for the away match against FC Groningen. Mike van der Hoorn and Davy Klaassen are the most notable names in the squad. Toby Alderweireld and Christian Eriksen missing."Just saying.
[/quote]Probably because he''s now an Atletico Madrid player and Eriksen is a Spurs player?