Sign in to follow this  
FramCanary

Toby Alderweireld update...

He''s been quoted before as saying he ''wants to make history'', so the history comment could be lost in translation a bit. Im not sure he means a club must have a history to be considered, if we could persuade him the club was going places and he could be part of that future then its not impossible. He could certainly be a club legend, but I dont think that would be enough for him if he considers the club insignificant in footballing terms.

Only chance we have of getting him is to be last offer standing

If Norwich are the last club standing, he''ll stay at Ajax - he has made that pretty clear when he spoke to Norwich and rejected the offer and then said he had no problem staying at Ajax another season.

He isn''t coming and had come out and said it. There really isn''t anything to add to this regarding Norwich.

Agree with that, Bethnal.

We tried to sign a player and he didn''t want to come. It happens all the time and there is no shame on our part - of course, the large number of city fans with an inferiority complex will see it differently.

The big question is: if not Alderweireld, then who? A CB is required, I think we can all agree. Who will it be? Get thinking.

Someone on the football 365 blog it was mentioned Toby is apparently after €3m per year which is about £50k per week. If that''s true then I''m not surprised we couldn''t agree a deal!

I wonder why Hughton wasnt interested in Curtis Davies, when he seemed a perfectly acceptable option 6 months earlier if the media were to be believed.

I wonder if this is simply a statement that this season we''re thinking bigger and better, so now only players of the calibre of Alderweireld will be targeted. Id be really disappointed if we made a panic buy before the window shut.

According to the express Newcastle seem to be the only club interested with the big stumbling block being his wage demands. It would seem he wants NET £2.5m a year.  If you count that the employer is expected to pay the tax to net £2.5m then he would want about £70 000 a week , no surprise we did not agree terms with him and it would seem may others are having second thoughts

Looks like he''ll have to go play in Russia for that sort of money... Good luck to him! Bass and Turns it is!

The more i think about it, someone like Mancienne would be a better option anyway. Not saying he''s a better player, but fills a missing gap (pacy centre back to play alongside/ back up Bassong) and won''t cost a lot, leaving a big chunk for the number 10 we''re missing or to save for January.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Looks like he''ll have to go play in Russia for that sort of money... Good luck to him! Bass and Turns it is! The more i think about it, someone like Mancienne would be a better option anyway. Not saying he''s a better player, but fills a missing gap (pacy centre back to play alongside/ back up Bassong) and won''t cost a lot, leaving a big chunk for the number 10 we''re missing or to save for January.[/quote]

Can this thread be locked now?........................please.

"Mancienne fills a missing gap (pacy centre back to play alongside/ back up Bassong)"

Wasnt that the centre-back partnership when Wolves got relegated? That would make me very nervous - though I see your point on paper...

I have a hunch no more than that that this story is not dead yet. Norwich have not come out at all and said the deal is dead, they could easily have said they are looking at fresh targets. today he has come out and said he would much prefer the EPL to Russia and is keen to develop his game at a higher level. True Spurs, Everton, Newcastle and Liverpool are all rumoured to be interested, but why have non of them put in a bid yet. The lad said he would think about his options after the Belgium v France game in which he got rave reviews. Would we change our wage structure to give him what he wants, I suspect not, but if we get Elmander on a free and free up the fee we were prepared to pay on a striker then we could up a joining fee for Alderweireld but keep him in our wage structure. He always said he turned Norwich down due to the terms not the club and our perceive stature in some quarters

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]I have a hunch no more than that that this story is not dead yet. Norwich have not come out at all and said the deal is dead, they could easily have said they are looking at fresh targets. today he has come out and said he would much prefer the EPL to Russia and is keen to develop his game at a higher level. True Spurs, Everton, Newcastle and Liverpool are all rumoured to be interested, but why have non of them put in a bid yet. The lad said he would think about his options after the Belgium v France game in which he got rave reviews. Would we change our wage structure to give him what he wants, I suspect not, but if we get Elmander on a free and free up the fee we were prepared to pay on a striker then we could up a joining fee for Alderweireld but keep him in our wage structure. He always said he turned Norwich down due to the terms not the club and our perceive stature in some quarters[/quote]Quasimodo had a hunch too.............

May well go to the deadline. If, and it''s a big if he doesn''t get any more offers from the PL and we get off to a flying start in the league he may think that we can further his career more than staying at Ajax will, ie if he perfoms well for us then a big money, big club move in this country would be on the cards. Yes we would be used as a stepping stone, but if he perfoms for us and we make a tidy profit who cares.

Dum dum, dum dum, dum dum, de de daaaaa........ Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water. The return of the Alderweireld thread for no reason what so ever. I hope you''re happy now DTRC?

Keep it going - this thread is already 50 pages behind the Quagliarella thread, so it needs to pull it''s socks up!

Yorkshire canary said alderweireld spoke about the terms ar Norwich not being right.Alderweireld actually said if he was interested in the money he''d have moved to Norwich months ago, but he isnt convinced we can meet our ambition. He also said he''d rather stay at Ajax. Can''t get any clearer than that

He never said that he didn''t think we could meet our ambition. He just said the move/terms were not right for him.

No need to put words in his mouth.

I''ll happily retract this and admit my mistake if you can provide evidence that he said "I don''t think they can meet their ambition".

Just to clarify the lad talked about not moving just for money in the context of Russia. He wants the EPL and is obviously holding out for the best bid. We are the only ones to have agreed a fee but we could not agree terms with the player, he said that was the only problem. Non of the other EPL clubs have bid yet. The warning signal in respect of terms is he has statedhe wants £60000 week net!

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Just to clarify the lad talked about not moving just for money in the context of Russia. He wants the EPL and is obviously holding out for the best bid. We are the only ones to have agreed a fee but we could not agree terms with the player, he said that was the only problem. Non of the other EPL clubs have bid yet. The warning signal in respect of terms is he has statedhe wants £60000 week net![/quote]I''ve seen it was 50k net. But what''s 10k when you''re that high up eh?!

After what Hughton has said about Martin being an adequate CB fill in, don''t you all maybe think we may not be in the market now for a CB?

I reckon Hughton may reassess the CB position in the January window.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Just to clarify the lad talked about not moving just for money in the context of Russia. He wants the EPL and is obviously holding out for the best bid. We are the only ones to have agreed a fee but we could not agree terms with the player, he said that was the only problem. Non of the other EPL clubs have bid yet. The warning signal in respect of terms is he has statedhe wants £60000 week net![/quote]he said if he was moving for the money he''d have moved to Norwich months ago.he said that before any interest from Russia was publicly known about and mentioned Norwich by name. Unfortunately I cant link it at the moment but I''ll have a look if I get time