Sign in to follow this  
FramCanary

Toby Alderweireld update...

[quote user="chicken"]I think the lull may be more to do with the ongoing transfer sagas at Liverpool and Spurs.

Both of which stand more of a chance of a top 6 finish than us or Everton realistically.

What does baffle me a little is how people perceive Toby to be a jolly good chap and that it is understandable that he is holding on to see of other, more successful teams come in for him with the possibility of European football. But they don''t see Toivonen in the same light.

To me it is exactly the same situation. Both players have not said no - so far as we know. Both players have aspirations to be playing as high up any given league as possible and so both are holding out for what could be a great deal, and possibly one of the biggest moves of their careers.[/quote]

It is just the same, chicken. The mistake Toivonen made was saying he didn''t sit around all day watching football on television. Not least because he hadn''t chosen to have whatever satellite channel it was that broadcast the English games. This either embarrassed, unnerved or baffled fans. I remember one poster insisting Toivonen had to know all about us because we were on his TV eight or ten times a season. Actually no. We might be on the poster''s TV but not Toivonen''s. And not on the TVs of most people on the planet. But this was in football fandom terms a gaffe equivalent to Graeme le Saux admitting to visiting art galleries.

Despite their initial lack of enthusiasm about the club, or perhaps to be more polite initial caution, if either or both signed then they would be great assets and everything would be quickly forgotten if they got stuck in and start producing the goods. you cannot blame either for being cautious we are 4th favourite''s to go down[, though how that can be is a load of bull] and are not yet a premiership household name outside the UK

The truly silly thing about the whole situation with either player is that if we hadn''t known about these bids beforehand, we wouldn''t have had any problems with their signings, but because it''s public knowledge, the criticisms are coming out because they''re taking time to make a decision rather than instantly signing on the dotted line and rushing off to buy a Norwich scarf...I couldn''t care less if it takes them 5 minutes or 5 weeks to make a decision as long as when they do come (if they do), that they give 100% and play to the best of their abilities, and if they do that, then seriously WTF do we actually have to complain about? (Aside from them not already being closet Norwich fans who have been sat by the phone for years dreaming about our call...)

I think that we need to stop dwelling on players that we tried to sign and begin to appreciate the players that we have signed, we''ve made some excellent signings and it won''t be the end of the world if we don''t sign a single other player. I''d like one or two, but there is always January. 

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="lappinitup"]

4h

Spartak Moscow have made a bid for Toby Alderweireld. Negotiations have started and Overmars thinks they can agree a deal.

[/quote]Bit disappointing if after all this he chooses money over a decent league.[/quote]

Yorkshire: If he said that, then it is strange. In which case, it may mean that, although Ajax agree a fee, Toby opts for something else.

Nevertheless, the Russian league is very good and there are a fair few of his Belgian team-mates there already and flourishing. Spartak are something of a slumbering giant, with serious ground to make up on CSKA and Zenit. Looks like they intend to make up that ground!

Be interesting to see if he goes there.

Newboy total tosh

We waited for the jan window last season, we waited for the jan window when we brought in Ashton.

You do not go into a season saying we can rely on the jan window.

I am sure we will look to have additions now, I expect a player in January even if we go get that striker and centre half now. But I would say we need a striker and a centre half. Today''s injury to hooper proves what nonsense some of our fans who I have said we don''t need another striker with hooper stretched off we. Are left with. Two. We always needed that other striker And not a youngster, but genuine quality. Lets hope the work continues on our targets in haste.

Hooper had a whack on the shin and was taken for a scan as a precautionary measure. Seb was also interviewed after the match and said that he will play in the U21 match on Monday and may feature against Everton.

[quote user="Militant Canary"]Nevertheless, the Russian league is very good[/quote]Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there MC.The Russian league is about as good as the Championship overall at best (with 1-2 prem level teams), and more like League 1 level at the lower end IMHO.They only average about 12k in attendances across the league, and were it not for clubs like Anzhi who suddenly came into a lot of money in recent years, the league would probably be dismissed as being fairly poor to average, and arguably behind other leagues such Belgium or Portugal...

We had a bid of about £6m accepted, it was the player that turned us down. The Evertons of this world do not seem to be falling over themselves to bid I would love him to come here I suspect if it was going to happen it would have done by now. That said we don''t seem to be linked with another good CB and I am convinced we are looking for one

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Militant Canary"]Nevertheless, the Russian league is very good[/quote]Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there MC.The Russian league is about as good as the Championship overall at best (with 1-2 prem level teams), and more like League 1 level at the lower end IMHO.They only average about 12k in attendances across the league, and were it not for clubs like Anzhi who suddenly came into a lot of money in recent years, the league would probably be dismissed as being fairly poor to average, and arguably behind other leagues such Belgium or Portugal...[/quote]

What!!!

Absolutly disagree with you.

The Russian League and National sides have some technically brilliant players. They have 4-5 real good sides and their National side is Superior to Englands.

As much potential as the Belgium side as on paper, non of the players play in Belgium. Portugal barring Porto and Benfica is worse than the Russian League.

To call the rest of Russian League, League One standard is a joke and you either dont watch any Russian football or your''re clueless.

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Militant Canary"]Nevertheless, the Russian league is very good[/quote]Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there MC.The Russian league is about as good as the Championship overall at best (with 1-2 prem level teams), and more like League 1 level at the lower end IMHO.They only average about 12k in attendances across the league, and were it not for clubs like Anzhi who suddenly came into a lot of money in recent years, the league would probably be dismissed as being fairly poor to average, and arguably behind other leagues such Belgium or Portugal...[/quote]

What!!!

Absolutly disagree with you.

The Russian League and National sides have some technically brilliant players. They have 4-5 real good sides and their National side is Superior to Englands.

As much potential as the Belgium side as on paper, non of the players play in Belgium. Portugal barring Porto and Benfica is worse than the Russian League.

To call the rest of Russian League, League One standard is a joke and you either dont watch any Russian football or your''re clueless.[/quote]
Obviously I agree that the Russian league is stronger than the Belgian league (complete no brainer), but think the Portuguese is a little stronger. Both leagues have a few very strong teams and then lots of teams who are Championship at best, but the record of Portuguese clubs in Europe speaks for itself.
In the past ten years we have seen Zenit (2008) and CSKA (2003) win the Europa League / UEFA Cup, but during the same period we have seen four Portuguese teams reach the final.... Porto (2003), Sporting (2005), Braga (2011), Benfica (2013) with Porto winning it. 
There have been no Russian teams in the Champions League final during that period, but Porto won the Champions league in 2004. 
The Russian league has improved and continues to improve but the Portuguese league has always been strong and it has been weakened a little by Sporting''s decline but the simple fact remains that Portuguese teams have won the Champions League four times and no Russian team has ever reached the final.
That league is definitely one for the future and wouldn''t surprise me if it ends up one of the best leagues in Europe but it is a push to try and compare it with Portugal considering recent history, not to mention the quality of players to come out of Portugal (Cristiano Ronaldo for a start). 

Spurs interested now so I sense we can forget this one now,supposed £15m bid for him  and Erikson, much more logical destination than others mooted, but we still need a good CB as back up

It means nothing, unless they follow this up.

Spurs this morning are linked with about 4 players. Again we have done our work, we have worked solidly and even after blips we will be in communication and dialogue.

We must be in a position now to begin to hasten a few discussions, in the two positions of centre half and the forward line.

I have every trust but I also know we cannot be of the view of waiting to January.

In regard to this news means nothing unless they follow up that one of many rumours up. Again I feel we are in a good position if we want to follow up as we have done the groundwork.

AJAX confirm Toby Alderweireld bid from unnamed teamhttp://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tottenham-target-toby-alderweireld-offer-2151686?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Sky Sports News reported this a few minutes ago:

Ajax defender Toby Alderweireld, who has been linked with Everton and Tottenham, could be set to miss out on a move to the Premier League and instead head for Russia with Spartak Moscow. The Belgium international has, however, made no decision on his future as yet.

''I now understand that they [Spartak] have made Ajax an offer for me. Only when the clubs are granted permission (to talk to me) will I think. I’ve always said that I will seriously look at each option. Those who know me, know that I will never choose just for the money but for the image and history of the team.''

[quote user="HerefordCanary"]Those who know me, know that I will never choose just for the money but for the image and history of the team.''[/quote]If it''s "history" he''s after, Then 1p5wich is the place for him. That''s all they have........

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="HerefordCanary"]Those who know me, know that I will never choose just for the money but for the image and history of the team.''[/quote]

If it''s "history" he''s after, Then 1p5wich is the place for him. That''s all they have........
[/quote]

But he also mentioned the ''Team'' word, so that rules them out