Sign in to follow this  
FramCanary

Toby Alderweireld update...

[quote user="Alex "]Interestingly enough AVB doesn''t rate Dawson, but Hughton certainly does. Wages are a problem though...[/quote]

That''s why he made him his captain presumably?

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Alex "]Interestingly enough AVB doesn''t rate Dawson, but Hughton certainly does. Wages are a problem though...[/quote]

[/quote]

Made him captain and then promptly tried to sell him to QPR and then played him for most games last season. A strange state of affairs, but AVB would certainly prefer a CB who is happy with the ball at his feet, which isn''t Dawson''s style so much.

Some quotes on Twitter alleged to be attributed to Alderweireld:

"I''ve said if before: a really nice club has to come to take me away from here. Only if I can make a step forward I''ll leave."

"Ajax is a club with a worldwide reputation. I play football for 50.000 fans every week and I''m assured of CL-football."

Alderweireld says there are still enough goals for him: improving in the CL, 4th title in a row. "I can write history with De Jong&Eriksen."

We''re screwed if he values Champions League football that much (who wouldnt). He wouldnt write history with us either. Best shot we have of getting this chap is convinving him he needs a stepping stone in England to earn a move to a champions league club, but that clearly wont work as he''ll feel he''s proven enough.

Interestingly though, if European football is important to him, that also rules Liverpool out. At least for this season...

We just aren''t signing him. It''s great seeing us attempt to cherry pick in Europe''s top leagues and in some cases succeed (Fer, RvW et al)- but in this case we''ve bitten off more than we can chew.

Holland is hardly one of Europe''s top leagues. I agree though from the outset thought it was unlikely and so it has proven. Would also point out could still do with a centre half unless Ryan Bennett gets a fair bit better

[quote user="pilksfanclub"]Holland is hardly one of Europe''s top leagues. I agree though from the outset thought it was unlikely and so it has proven. Would also point out could still do with a centre half unless Ryan Bennett gets a fair bit better[/quote]

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/index.html

Dutch league is number 9 in Europe according to the official rankings.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]

Made him captain and then promptly tried to sell him to QPR and then played him for most games last season. A strange state of affairs, but AVB would certainly prefer a CB who is happy with the ball at his feet, which isn''t Dawson''s style so much.

[/quote]

You seem to have a very close relationship with AVB.

Seems about right Scotland in at 24. Although I guess this is based on history so likely they will slip a few places now they are at the lowest ebb

Shows nothing about strength in depth though. I bet a league consisting of our lower half premiership teams versus them from Spain, we''d walk it.

Supposedly his agent has come out and said its not true and everton havent made an approach. Follow babette van haren on twitter. Shes an dutch journalist who seems to have good links, especially with ajax.

I would love this player here, would be a massive coup and potentially the best signing of all. 

Looks like the lad may be getting what he wants ie a move to a bigger more established EPL club. Great shame as he would have been one of ourstand out signings in what are already a very impressive list this summer. Not over yet but looking that way

Would have been fantastic but you can understand why he wanted to wait to see what happens, after all he is good enough for one of the big teams and he obviously knows it.
I just hope we have some plan B''s lined up because I fear for our defence if Bassong is missing for any of the games. 

[quote user="Eadie4England"]Supposedly his agent has come out and said its not true and everton havent made an approach. Follow babette van haren on twitter. Shes an dutch journalist who seems to have good links, especially with ajax.[/quote]

1h

Vic Alderweireld,

Toby''s dad: "We''ve heard from various sources that Everton are

interested. Officially, there hasn''t been any contact yet.

1h

possibly Norwich bound I hope

1h

No, he has turned down Norwich.

1h

so in that case the rumours he spent two nights in Norwich were false and that his dad has recommended us to him?

56m

Yes. He has never been in Norwich. Can''t remember this quotes from his dad but Toby said he turned NCFC down.

If you were an oversees player, would you go for what the history of a club (e.g. Everton are more famous than us) or it''s current status (e.g. they have a brand new manager with not exactly a great track record and guarantees they will be successful)Either presents a risk. Has the purposrted everton bid been accepted?

[quote user="Samwam27"]If you were an oversees player, would you go for what the history of a club (e.g. Everton are more famous than us) or it''s current status (e.g. they have a brand new manager with not exactly a great track record and guarantees they will be successful)Either presents a risk. Has the purposrted everton bid been accepted? [/quote]
This is what has been said on the sky sports transfer news page under the "Roberto Martinez: Hopes fans will be patient with Gerard Deulofeu" post.

Ajax defender Toby Alderweireld''s agent Soren Lerby has confirmed that Martinez has made an approach for the 24-year-old Belgian.

"It''s true that Everton have made an approach for Alderweireld," Lerby is quoted in Belgian newspaper Gazet van Antwerpen.

"But there are other concrete options. Toby will now have to decide which team he sees as the biggest challenge."

Did Toby play against us in the friendly v Ajax last summer, i went but cannot remember. It would be ironic if we saw him first game of the season but in an Everton shirt

Don''t forget they are skint (just look at the state of Goodison) until they sell Baines or Fellaini I doubt they coud even compete with us.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Did Toby play against us in the friendly v Ajax last summer[/quote]He was an unused substitute.[url]http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city-fc/photo_gallery_norwich_city_1_ajax_1_1_1466506[/url]

I think that this is what is so impressive about this summer. Fulham wanted Toivonen but could only bid £2m for him. City seem to have moved up the league spending wise, and that in itself is exciting.

About 3 or 4 days ago all the media speculation was about him going to Everton, but since then it has gone dead so far as he is concerned. Everton will do well to hang on the Baines and fellani and possibly Toby and his dad who seem shrewd customers may yet think Everton is a club in slow decline and we are a club on the rise we will see

I think the lull may be more to do with the ongoing transfer sagas at Liverpool and Spurs.

Both of which stand more of a chance of a top 6 finish than us or Everton realistically.

What does baffle me a little is how people perceive Toby to be a jolly good chap and that it is understandable that he is holding on to see of other, more successful teams come in for him with the possibility of European football. But they don''t see Toivonen in the same light.

To me it is exactly the same situation. Both players have not said no - so far as we know. Both players have aspirations to be playing as high up any given league as possible and so both are holding out for what could be a great deal, and possibly one of the biggest moves of their careers.