Sign in to follow this  
FramCanary

Toby Alderweireld update...

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="ReadingCanary"]Toby Alderweireld plays Champion''s League football for AjaxYou can''t exactly blame him for turning down Norwich when we can''t offer him anything in Europe.Especially during a World Cup year.The guy has been entirely respectful to our club and his dad has as well.Don''t see how you can possibly slag the guy off for being apprehensive about joining us.[/quote]
He''s a Belgian Ajax player who doesn''t play for us, one who will never read this thread (unless he has far too much time on his hands), so why are you so worried about me slagging him off? Man crush? 
[/quote]Because I am entitled to my opinion on the matter.In all the interviews I have read he has spoken of how he is impressed with our ambition and league position.However he also voices his fears that we could be relegated (which is of course a possibility - 3 clubs have to go down and there are lots of situations which could occur, injuries, suspensions, bad form etc)At the end of the day, especially in a world cup year, we cannot offer players of Toby''s ilk the European football they are used to.They want to prove themselves not only in domestic leagues, but in tournaments as well.It''s therefore unsurprising he has turned us down (he also turned down Bayer Leverkusen so we are not alone in the matter)When I go for a job interview, I choose the job based on multiple factors, I generally do not apply for a position which would not advance my career, and Toby clearly see''s Norwich as being below Ajax, something we must respect.It doesn''t mean he dislikes our club or thinks we are awful, he just wants something a bit more reminiscent of what he is achieving now.[/quote]
You keep saying that you are entitled to your opinion, but your so called ''opinions'' are only criticisms of mine! I respect your opinion, you are welcome to them, but you don''t seem to welcome me to mine even if they are the opposite to yours! 
My opinion is that he is welcome to his opinion and reasons, but he and his dad don''t need to keep giving a soundbite to every journalist that asks for one. He turned us down, fair enough, but I don''t want to keep hearing about it..... and if it weren''t for him and his dad, we wouldn''t be, because these constant reminders aren''t coming from McNally or anybody at our end.
He is keeping his name in the limelight and using those little soundbites in an attempt to evoke solid interest from other clubs. That''s why I am feeling bitter, he should pipe down and stop using this saga for his own agenda.
My opinion, you don''t have to share it. 

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="Alan_Grey"]Well ReadingCanary, New Boy has just stated that he is exercising his right to be irrational, and like any irrational viewpoint it is pointless to even engage in conversation after it becomes clear, as logic and reason have been consigned to the dustbin.[/quote]
And Reading Canary is just stalking me like he has been for a week now in an attempt to provoke me into conflict, yet refuses to reply to a private message in which I ask him why he is doing so. 
[/quote]I don''t read my private messages. The honest answer, is you''ve been on the mesageboard for 5minutes and done nothing but troll and take topics off topic, which is not healthy, when we want to simply discuss the issues of our club.[/quote]
That''s absolute rubbish. I took one thread off topic, and it was one that I started. Six times now you have made very obvious attempts to provoke me into arguing with you. I''ve had two arguments since signing up, and they have both been by you. Both started by you. If the moderator wants to peruse my posting history and make a judgement as to whether your statement here is accurate then he should go ahead, he will find that my posts are consistently on topic. 

[quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="Alan_Grey"]Well ReadingCanary, New Boy has just stated that he is exercising his right to be irrational, and like any irrational viewpoint it is pointless to even engage in conversation after it becomes clear, as logic and reason have been consigned to the dustbin.[/quote]
And Reading Canary is just stalking me like he has been for a week now in an attempt to provoke me into conflict, yet refuses to reply to a private message in which I ask him why he is doing so. 
[/quote]I don''t read my private messages. The honest answer, is you''ve been on the mesageboard for 5minutes and done nothing but troll and take topics off topic, which is not healthy, when we want to simply discuss the issues of our club.[/quote]
That''s absolute rubbish. I took one thread off topic, and it was one that I started. Six times now you have made very obvious attempts to provoke me into arguing with you. I''ve had two arguments since signing up, and they have both been by you. Both started by you. If the moderator wants to peruse my posting history and make a judgement as to whether your statement here is accurate then he should go ahead, he will find that my posts are consistently on topic. 
[/quote]
Ignore, thank you for the PM. 

[quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="Alan_Grey"]Well ReadingCanary, New Boy has just stated that he is exercising his right to be irrational, and like any irrational viewpoint it is pointless to even engage in conversation after it becomes clear, as logic and reason have been consigned to the dustbin.[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t read my private messages. The honest answer, is you''ve been on the mesageboard for 5minutes and done nothing but troll and take topics off topic, which is not healthy, when we want to simply discuss the issues of our club.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just as a matter of interest, what name(s) did you previously use?

[quote user="Alan_Grey"]Starting a thread doesn''t give any kind of ownership or extra rights to control on/off topic-ness.[/quote]
That is correct, you are quite right. 
But that thread got swiftly back on track, is currently right at the top of the front page, and is 13 pages long and 195 posts long. 
So it all worked out OK. 
Besides, there is no shortage of off-topic stuff which gets thrown into this black hole: http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="Alan_Grey"]Well ReadingCanary, New Boy has just stated that he is exercising his right to be irrational, and like any irrational viewpoint it is pointless to even engage in conversation after it becomes clear, as logic and reason have been consigned to the dustbin.[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just as a matter of interest, what name(s) did you previously use?

[/quote]
Le Juge

To get this back on topic.....I wouldnt rule this one out totally. It could be one of those that happens on deadline day. If we start with a couple of wins & perhaps sign 1 or 2 more quality players then he might decide to sign - or maybe in Jan?

I suspect that we have not heard the last of this one. Ajax captain in interview says he expects Toby to move before next season.The only offer on the table at the moment is ours though Liverpool are linked. Betting odds for what they are worth are Liverpool 11/4 and us 6/4 so someone out there thinks this has still got legs

Like I said I think that there are still teams waiting to see if other sales emerge.

For example, Man City are rumoured to be interested in Pepe of Real Madrid. There were rumours floating around that should this deal go through Real Madrid were going to look at Agger as the replacement.

If all of the above is true then you can believe that Liverpool are keeping tabs on Toby - and that he is hanging on to see if that scenario plays out or not.

If we were able to get Alderweireld, what would that mean for Turner?

Clearly Alderweireld would be first choice. Would that see Turner moving on? Cant think he would be happy to be a squad player, especially after the form he recaptured in the second half of the season.

Turner is an out and out centre-back, ie there''s no way he could play anywhere else. Is Alderweireld able to play anywhere else? CM/FB for instance?

Theres no way Alderweireld wont be a starter if we''re paying that kind of money for him, and Im sure he''d want assurances, but if I was Turner, I might stay if I thought I might be able to displace him to another area of the pitch. Otherwise surely he''d want to leave? I cant see him being content to wait for his opportunity in the way Ayala and Bennett will be

If we got him he would be first choice with Bassong imo at CB, with Turner and Bennett in reserve. Last season suspensions and injuries meant that everyone got a chance. I think a sensible EPL side needs 4 good CBs. Barnett has been told he can leave and it think the player to leave if we signed him would be Ayala. Alderweireld would also give us cover at RB

I think this will be on the ''possible pile'' until something happens or the window closes and can understand why these players have to be careful with their careers. If he did sign, that wouldn''t make Turner a ''squad player'', IMO, and I wouldn''t see him leaving.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Is Alderweireld able to play anywhere else? CM/FB for instance? [/quote]Alderweireld plays right back for Belgium.

Belgium or awesome. Mignolet, courtois, alderweireld, vermaelen, vertongen, kompany, fellaini, mirallas, witsel, dembele, hazard, chadli, lukaku, benteke

[quote user="stratton canary"]

No Webbo not yet, but has been spotted in asda, so must be true! lol

[/quote]

It all depends on whose cousin it was who spotted him.

[quote user="Eadie4England"]Belgium or awesome. Mignolet, courtois, alderweireld, vermaelen, vertongen, kompany, fellaini, mirallas, witsel, dembele, hazard, chadli, lukaku, benteke[/quote]

No arguing with that. Noticed quite a while ago that many of the top players these days appear to be Belgian. Why the hell isnt the national team making waves. Dark horses for the Euros when they come around I think, perhaps not the World Cup

Just noticed that Belgium are ranked 10th in the world at present. That said Greece are 10th (mind you theyve won way more than we have in the last 40 years)

Tottenham now rumoured to be interested as the merry-go-round begins following Caulker''s departure. Only on Twitter though.

Interesting to read he is supposed to have turned down a move to Russia, with Zenit St Petersburg, CSKA Moscow and Dynamo Moscow apparently all showing interest.

Would seem that he has the Premiership in mind (if he choses not to stay at Ajax) so this is only good news. Means we could well be the best/only offer on the table when the window is about to close...

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Tottenham now rumoured to be interested as the merry-go-round begins following Caulker''s departure. Only on Twitter though. Interesting to read he is supposed to have turned down a move to Russia, with Zenit St Petersburg, CSKA Moscow and Dynamo Moscow apparently all showing interest. Would seem that he has the Premiership in mind (if he choses not to stay at Ajax) so this is only good news. Means we could well be the best/only offer on the table when the window is about to close...[/quote]

On just on Twitter - Tottenham attempted to buy Alderweireld along with Vertonghen last summer but didn''t have the finances for it. With Caulker being signed Spurs obviously need another centre back, and although they are bringing in Ciriches they could easily bring in 2 centre backs as AVB isn''t a massive fan of Dawson.

Alderweireld to Norwich is an incredibly long shot, I think that there will always be another team interested that is more attractive to the player than Norwich.

He would be a fantastic signing for us but I agree the chances of our getting him may depend upon the interest of others in the premiership. That said our signings to date this season have been a talking point and testimony to the ambition and hopefully direction of travel of the club. That said little to no chance of getting him if the likes of Spurs or Liverpool want him

Interestingly enough AVB doesn''t rate Dawson, but Hughton certainly does. Wages are a problem though...

bookies continue to think we have a chancer putting us at favourites at 2/1, followed by Liverpool at 3/1 and Spurs 6/1. I know it does not mean a lot but there must be a feeling that the deal is not yet dead

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]I suspect that we have not heard the last of this one. Ajax captain in interview says he expects Toby to move before next season.The only offer on the table at the moment is ours though Liverpool are linked. Betting odds for what they are worth are Liverpool 11/4 and us 6/4 so someone out there thinks this has still got legs[/quote]

Furthermore Liverpool are being reported as offering £22m for a Brazilian striker and are after a left back. So unless they sell Suarez (which they continue to refuse to do) are they going to have enough money to buy another CB. given their level of debt? 

Thus I agree with those who think a transfer may happen near the end of the transfer window.