Sign in to follow this  
FramCanary

Toby Alderweireld update...

Google translation:

The father of Toby Alderweireld, Vic, emphasized in the Antwerp Gazette that his son has not rejected the offer from Norwich City but on hold is put. The title of the article in the Belgian newspaper is that Norwich ''is put in the waiting room. "

AjaxFanzone.NL

"We think it''s too early now to go into an offer. The transfer period will last six weeks. We have the bid not rejected, but it is set to ''on hold'', says dad of the footballer. Simon Black Cross, journalist Soccer International, said Monday in VI Radio that the interest of Everton and Liverpool for Alderweireld has become concrete.

Bye then.

Get yourself a tacky shellsuit, huge tash and join a scouse club.

Ey ey calm down we need strikers more any how.

Hope you get ya car nicked by a young scally.

I suspect our interest in him is over and we have already moved on, same as Toivenon. Can''t afford to wait for these spoiled brats to make up their minds, we have a league to conquer!! (sorry, been watching Game of Thrones again....)

I for one don''t think less of a player for keeping his options open, because I''m sure I''d do the same thing in his position. If anything, it''s better that he does that then he joins us and regrets it.

[quote user="sgncfc"]I suspect our interest in him is over and we have already moved on, same as Toivenon. Can''t afford to wait for these spoiled brats to make up their minds, we have a league to conquer!! (sorry, been watching Game of Thrones again....)[/quote]

Why do you equate mulling over a job offer, when he has a good job already, with being a "spoiled brat"? It doesn''t make any sense and I''d love to hear your argument.

I don''t understand why people have such a problem with people taking time to decide what they want to do with their lives, and waiting to see what other options may arise.

If I was him I''d hardly be jumping at the chance to leave European football (Champions League most likely) for a mid table Premier League side

I ask myself, would I go and work in another country without given it full and proper consideration? The answer to that question arrived reasonably quickly. 

[quote user="Webbo118"]I ask myself, would I go and work in another country without given it full and proper consideration? The answer to that question arrived reasonably quickly. [/quote]

Really? I work in an industry where moving to the US for a few years is something that may further my career- I know I would be off if the right opportunity arose. I love England and living here but my ambition for myself and my family is to go as far as I can, so I would jump at the chance to move to another really big league for a bit.

That consideration has already been made and the conversation has been had with my wife and it is not something that I expect to do for a few years yet! Logistics and whether it was the right oportunity would be the only questions that would need answering- that is a couple of days to a week I''d think.

And a lot easier when not having to cope with different languages.

Less of a problem with a Belgian player like this (and for Dutch and Scandinavian players), but could be a big problem for Quagliarella, who has never played outside Italy and may have little or no English.

Yes of course- I just mean that where its a possibility or likelihood as it is in my industry and football I think most people tend to have given it serious thought before it gets to the stage where the decision is upon them.

I expect that all the players we are looking at will have thought about moving to the Premier League before this transfer window opened,

We must give players time to see if a more attractive opportunity comes their way, and not attempt to railroad them. I fully understand that Alderweireld has "put us on hold" until then.

But by the same token he can''t expect us to hang around indefinitely, like some lovelorn suitor, in case our desired changes. We have to prepare for another, if not better, player. I suspect that McN has already been doing this. If we find someone, we shall have to give him a "Five o''clock" ultimatum, and put him on the spot.

I don''t expect him to come to CR and, whether it''s Liverpool or someone else, I expect him to get fixed up. The price is so reasonable.

I should clarify that I don''t think it is unreasonable for a player to want some time, I just don''t buy this feeling some on here have that moving to another country etc etc is a huge decision that needs serious consideration, the EPL is a jump forward from most of the other leagues in the world for peoples careers and the thought will not be new to them.Every offer and oportunity has to be weighed up in it''s own right and on it''s own specific merits, but I don''t think that it needs to be any bigger a decision than moving to us from Fulham or Sydney FC really.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]I should clarify that I don''t think it is unreasonable for a player to want some time, I just don''t buy this feeling some on here have that moving to another country etc etc is a huge decision that needs serious consideration, the EPL is a jump forward from most of the other leagues in the world for peoples careers and the thought will not be new to them.
Every offer and oportunity has to be weighed up in it''s own right and on it''s own specific merits, but I don''t think that it needs to be any bigger a decision than moving to us from Fulham or Sydney FC really.
[/quote]

Whilst it is true the Premier League is a step up from the Eredivise, I wouldn''t say Norwich is a step up from Ajax (were Alderwiereld is captain incidently). If he comes to Norwich it is because he found the financial advantages to be greater than the prospect of playing in the Champions League again.

Absolutely- that is why I understand the need for time. On the plus side EPL on the negative side no CL etc etc. EPL at a club where he can expect to play in a world cup year might be bigger than a limited run in the Champs for him but that is bound to be a small margin!I am ONLY talking in general terms about the concept of a move from abroad needing more consideration inherently. I think it does but most players will have thought a lot about the extra considerations long before an offer comes in. I may be wrong- I just compared it to my own situation and thought that surely most people with ambition would be prepared for the opportunities a little in advance.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Absolutely- that is why I understand the need for time. On the plus side EPL on the negative side no CL etc etc. EPL at a club where he can expect to play in a world cup year might be bigger than a limited run in the Champs for him but that is bound to be a small margin!
I am ONLY talking in general terms about the concept of a move from abroad needing more consideration inherently. I think it does but most players will have thought a lot about the extra considerations long before an offer comes in. I may be wrong- I just compared it to my own situation and thought that surely most people with ambition would be prepared for the opportunities a little in advance.
[/quote]

It is all down to the individual and the type of person they are and the family environment they exist in. Some, for example, may feel that four years in Norfolk is more than enough and long for a return to a place nearer home. I know they are playing for large Clubs but Giggs and Gerrard have remained at the one Club whilst numerous others (Owen, Lineker, Gascoigne, e.g.) have tried playing abroad. Each to his own.

For a professional footballer a year is long time when you consider they have about 5 or 6 seasons at which they are considered ''desirable'' - many larger clubs now will only sign players over the age of 26 in exceptional circumstances. For the average person on this thread their professional life will last 40 odd years, so a year or two in America or where ever isn''t that significant, for a footballer the wrong choice of club at the wrong time can result in them never reaching the highest potential for them.

This is even more relevant for a player considering a move to a Premier League club - due to the large TV deal there are very few teams left in the world outside of England who would have the financial power to get Norwich to sell. If he came to Norwich and did well, there is no way the club would sell him for less than £15m, which would servely limit his potential to get a move in the future.

Going back to comparing this to someone who isn''t a professional footballer, if most of us went to work abroad for a while but soon found we didn''t like it, we would be easily able to move back - if Alderweireld move to Norwich and found it wasn''t working out for him he would be stuck here until his contract ended, at which point it might be too late for him to get the move to a Champions League team or he will have missed out on some great oppurtunities.

I think you are right Webbo.

I don''t see any relevance to what I was saying in your post but I think you are right.

Unless you thought I meant that people will eventually come to the conclusion that to move is best? I would but others would not- as you said. I only make the point that it is not a new concept to be thought about from scratch every time a move is on the table or most likely even when the first move is offered only the specifics of the deal are new.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

For a professional footballer a year is long time when you consider they have about 5 or 6 seasons at which they are considered ''desirable'' - many larger clubs now will only sign players over the age of 26 in exceptional circumstances. For the average person on this thread their professional life will last 40 odd years, so a year or two in America or where ever isn''t that significant, for a footballer the wrong choice of club at the wrong time can result in them never reaching the highest potential for them.

This is even more relevant for a player considering a move to a Premier League club - due to the large TV deal there are very few teams left in the world outside of England who would have the financial power to get Norwich to sell. If he came to Norwich and did well, there is no way the club would sell him for less than £15m, which would servely limit his potential to get a move in the future.

Going back to comparing this to someone who isn''t a professional footballer, if most of us went to work abroad for a while but soon found we didn''t like it, we would be easily able to move back - if Alderweireld move to Norwich and found it wasn''t working out for him he would be stuck here until his contract ended, at which point it might be too late for him to get the move to a Champions League team or he will have missed out on some great oppurtunities.

[/quote]

That is just as true if a player is at Monaco or Macclesfield though isnt it Bethnal?

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]If it didn''t work out for him with a mid Premier team like Norwich it isn''t going to work out for him at a bigger club. If he made a success here then a top 6 team would be confident enough of his abilities to pay the appropriate price. The  only thing that would limit his future potential would be that he wasn''t good enough to cut the mustard.

Not necessarily true, ricardo, the profile of a player due to the club he joins can greatly impact his career. Just ask various dodgy Liverpool players how many England caps they have!

I am with Ricardo on this. Basically we will always be a "stepping stone" club. It is naive to think that somebody like say RVW views us as a long time prospect, if he bangs in a load of goals I have no doubt that an EPL club further up the "food chain" will snap him up, his goals would have benefited us, he commands a decent fee, we re-invest the money in another decent prospect and so the cycle begins again (hopefully!!).

To be honest the only thing that Liverpool can offer Toby Alderweireld this season is more money, they have not qualified for Europe, the big question is will they guarantee him games, my view is only if Liverpool sell one of their established CB''s. I would suggest we could offer him guaranteed football and a chabce to shine in the EPL, if he performs well he can then take the next step up the ladder and as Ricardo says if he does not shine at Norwich it is very unlikely he will do so elsewhere

[quote user="Dr Crafty Canary"]Everton are now claimed to be interested in Toby.[/quote]Bless them, probably still pi$$ed off over The Bouncer.

TRANSFER TALK - For Siem de Jong, Christian Eriksen and Toby Alderweireld would the necessary interest from other clubs. Thus goes this summer talking to these players in particular transfers.  "I did not want anything to" give Alderweireld against AT5.

"We contender here (De Lutte ed.) perfect facilities, it is a fun week.  I have set myself a deadline for a transfer, I did not want everything. Jan (Vertonghen ed.) also left until the end of August to Tottenham. Ajax has obviously been Mike (van der Hoorn eds) removed, and may have my successor already in the house. Maybe Ajax lost me.  For a good price I think everyone is happy.  If nothing is there is an option to renew, "says Alderweireld.

[quote user="Alan_Grey"]Not necessarily true, ricardo, the profile of a player due to the club he joins can greatly impact his career. Just ask various dodgy Liverpool players how many England caps they have![/quote]
That only seems to ring true with English players though. Germany are happy to pick Robert Huth, Holland are happy to pick Ron Vlaar, the Brazil keeper was playing for QPR.
Only for England could you be a reserve player for a top four team and get picked ahead of somebody playing week in week out for a mid-table side. It''s something that seriously needs to be fixed. 

"Alderweireld currently plays for Ajax, but has long been associated with a departure. Previously showed Bayer Leverkusen and Norwich City all interested, but Liverpool preys on the Belgian defender"