Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Could we become an Arsenal?

[quote user="OT-F-BC"]TheNewBoy - I think you know that you probably deserved some of these ridiculous replies, considering the name of the thread.

But on the whole, I agree 100%.

I thank GOD that David McNally shares our enthusiasm for progression and development.

Do people really think McNally is going after MULTIPLE £8m+ players if he wants us to finish 11th?[/quote]
I firmly believe that my title and OP, however sensationalist, were nowhere near as ridiculous as the person who stated that we should aspire to be a Fulham or a Stoke. That comment in particularly was depressing, even more so considering the poster used his real name I think, which means he really meant it. 
Thankfully you and I are not the only positive ones, have been a few others chirp in with some self belief and confidence in the club and their ambitions. We just have to hope that some of the other glass half empty types are given reason to gain confidence, through results on the pitch come August. Cheers. 

You only have to spend 5 minutes searching the web and social media networks just to see the buzz that the club is creating.

The well written article that recently appeared on the Sky Sports website about our ambition etc will not be the last one of the transfer window.

The fans that need 6 months of our best ever football to see this growth and development - please, step aside. There are a young generation of fans that want to see an evolution of NCFC chomping at the bit to get ahold of your ST.

[quote user="OT-F-BC"]You only have to spend 5 minutes searching the web and social media networks just to see the buzz that the club is creating.

The well written article that recently appeared on the Sky Sports website about our ambition etc will not be the last one of the transfer window.

The fans that need 6 months of our best ever football to see this growth and development - please, step aside. There are a young generation of fans that want to see an evolution of NCFC chomping at the bit to get ahold of your ST.[/quote]

With due respect, many of those fans to whom you suggest to "step aside" have kept their STs during the Roeder and Gunn era, and provided invaluable financial/moral support to the club in its less glorious days.

If we had similar transfer dealings this forum would have melted down weeks ago.

[quote user="OT-F-BC"]You only have to spend 5 minutes searching the web and social media networks just to see the buzz that the club is creating.

The fans that need 6 months of our best ever football to see this growth and development - please, step aside. There are a young generation of fans that want to see an evolution of NCFC chomping at the bit to get ahold of your ST.[/quote]But not for cup game tickets it would seem

ps any chance of a translation of this gibberish -"The fans that need 6 months of our best ever football to see this growth and development " ?

"Le Juge knows a lot about football then"

At least I''m not the one who thinks I''m Jose friggin Mourinho with pretentious nonsense like this:

"They are necessary, because they denote the basic layout of a side (but nothing more) it is on this formation foundation that we lay our strategy, our approach, and how fluid we expect to be within that notation"

I wonder how a young singer songwriter from Lowestoft with no apparent football experience felt qualified to deliver something so profound.

Ironic that your response to my recent negativity towards the club was to bump something overtly optimistic. Damned if you do and damned if you don''t.

I guess I''m still searching for that happy median, I suspect that you are too though, comments like this:

"This idea of Hughton playing ''negative football'' is a complete and hilarious myth. We are a passing, progressive team"

Would suggest deep denial of the truth. Comments like this:

"I can''t talk football with pretty much anyone Norwich fan. The only respect I have for the majority of my fellow Canaries is because they support Norwich. If you want Hughton out at this moment in time, then you and I will never be able to talk football- and that suits me just fine."

I''d have to question precisely why you would want to try and evoke any sort of response from me, because that would involve communication with somebody who 100% certainly wants Hughton sacked immediately.

''at this moment in time''. Things change.Young singer songwriter. True. From Lowestoft. True.Buys a lot of football books on both management, tactics and historical content thereof. True. Listens to a lot of podcasts (The Footballers'' Football Show to name just one). True. Works as a football reporter for a newspaper up here at York Uni, and watches as many televised games as I can in between assignments and exams, again true.All of that without mentioning the jewel in the crown, I''m well good at Footy Manager.It does not make me ''Jose friggin Mourinho'' to work hard in trying to further my knowledge of the beautiful game. I can only offer what I have learned in order to contribute to the discussion. I do not expect those who see such ideals as trying to be ''Jose friggin Mourinho'' to really understand that.Your optimism/ pessimism doesn''t interest me. Only your delusion showcased in the original thread.Neither of us will live to see us become an Arsenal if it ever does happen. I was talking to an Arsenal supporting mate who through having moved to East Anglia a few years ago followed Norwich with interest and he recalled this article during our conversation. I thought it was ridiculous at the time of writing: even more so now.

"Buys a lot of football books on both management, tactics and historical content thereof"

That''s a bit bizarre if you don''t mind me saying so, unless you have an ambition to work in the sport. Our time on this earth is finite, I guess we all have different means of wasting it.

"Works as a football reporter for a newspaper up here at York Uni"

You contribute a few words for a student newspaper mate, that isn''t ''work'', that is doing something to shove on your CV.

"watches as many televised games as I can in between assignments and exams"

In the pub I hope, uni only happens once and you miss it when you finish (you also become much more humble when you realise that you really aren''t the dog bollocks, every industry has far too many graduates, and real life doesn''t allow for being a lazy smelly part-timer).

"Your optimism/ pessimism doesn''t interest me. Only your delusion showcased in the original thread"

Shame you didn''t bother contributing in July then when the discussing was active. Sorry for getting excited about the class of signing that we made in the summer, and I''m sorry for becoming negative having realised that our manager is incapable of getting the best out of any of them.

"Neither of us will live to see us become an Arsenal if it ever does happen"

Glad that you can say that we so much certainty. Chelsea weren''t much 15 years ago pal. If you knew so much about football history then you would know that. You would also know that Man City were in the third tier relatively recently, and that Nottingham Forest, Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds United had their owns spells as the elite teams in this country.

With life expectancy heading towards 100 years in this country, and with you having had no pubes not long ago, and with me having been post-fetus when Nottingham Forest were the best team in this country.... this quote:

"Neither of us will live to see us become an Arsenal if it ever does happen"

Says more about your arrogant belief that you can predict the future than it does about my so called "delusion".

I see no other option than to reconvene in 60 years time (we will both still be alive at that point if we reach a life expectancy of 100) to see how history played out.

Maybe you should tell your mate to stop reading the Pink Un, seems like an odd choice for an Arsenal fan. Neither it is an article, it is a forum thread. As a voluntary blog post writer you should know the difference.

See you in 60 years.

This was the league table from 1953/54, 60 seasons ago:

Wolverhampton Wanderers

West Bromwich Albion

Huddersfield Town

Manchester United

Bolton Wanderers

Burnley

Chelsea

Charlton Athletic

Preston

ARSENAL

Aston Villa

Portsmouth

Newcastle United

Tottenham Hotspur

Manchester City

Sunderland

Sheffield Wednesday

Sheffield United

Middlesbrough

Liverpool

With that in mind, perhaps it would be best if you were to provide a predicted table for the year 2074.

Then we can meet up again on this thread.

Good luck with that.

I''m glad you know my own life better than I do.

I don''t think I''m the dog''s b0llox, that''s why I seek to learn, because you should never stop striving for knowledge.

Been passionate about football and NCFC ever since my nan took me to my first game when I was very young. Why wouldn''t I want to immerse myself in it as much as I can? I don''t need to justify myself, my opinions, or the foundations I am laying in terms of acquiring as many skills as possible (law for engineering management, accounting and finance, analogue and digital electronics) to work in the ever growing and excitingly unpredictable industries of modern technology.

I''m also glad you''re able to belittle me by virtue of being younger than you. If all you''ve got in your locker from your experiences in life is ''I was alive when Forest were good'' then perhaps you should worry more on the years you''ve wasted than those I''ve got to come.

The financial gulf in top flight football decrees that another Forest style scenario is so unlikely that it isn''t worth forecasting.

But then what do I know. I''m not a friggin financial advisor.

Warren Hill,

Looks like it not sure how that happened.. Cardiff are one in mid-table somewhere not sure about the other.

"And as for your predicted table, I''m not the airhead who mused on us becoming an Arsenal. That''s your argument to substantiate, not mine"

I said all that I needed to say on this thread in July, it was you who bumped it and I''m not entirely sure why.

But I''m always willing to absorb new knowledge so perhaps you can tell me.

"I don''t need to justify myself, my opinions, or the foundations I am laying in terms of acquiring as many skills as possible (law for engineering management, accounting and finance, analogue and digital electronics) to work in the ever growing and excitingly unpredictable industries of modern technology."

Good god it is cringeworthy. You know, I have lots of friends in business who won''t employ a fresh graduate - they wait until they have tasted the real world for a few years first, and you epitomize the reasons why. I hope you realise that you need a 1st in this climate, a 2:1 won''t do anymore.

I''d perhaps recommend focusing on your studies and putting the books on football tactics aside.

"on the years you''ve wasted than those I''ve got to come"

Alright enough with the babble, I''m only 32, and trust me it won''t be long until you are too.

I got a 1st by the way. Was a waste of time and money, I make five times more than the typical graduate in my field and I haven''t used my degree at all.

But good luck.

You act like I''m one of these people who floats through life expecting it to come to me. I know my degree won''t be enough. I''m not naive, despite what you think.

I''d have thought someone with the experience and qualifications you claim would have more respect for someone who wants to learn. I was wrong to mock your whole football knowledge on the basis of one claim, but I firmly believe it to be a completely ridiculous one. I never said a 2.1 would be enough.

Look mate, you bumped a thread started in July to ridicule me and now you are getting upset because I''m not worshipping the ground that you walk on because you are one of the 40%+ kids who go to uni these educationally devalued times?

People don''t need to go to university to learn. But when I said good luck I meant it.

You sound like a very bright kid, well done for pursuing your dreams and aspirations, York is an excellent university with a great environment to not only learn but to network and build friendships and associates. I know that because two of my best friends studied there.

When I said good luck I meant it. It is tough time to be graduate, for reasons beyond your control, and I''m sure that with your self belief you will do just fine.

And you don''t need a 1st, that was unfair. What you need most is personality and drive. In fact getting 1st can make your life that little more difficult, when being interviewed by somebody who doesn''t want to give you a job because they think you will steal theirs.

Hopefully though you will make it as a singer songwriter and you can become Lowestoft''s favourite son (instead of Justin Hawkins), and Norwich can add another individual to their growing roster of celebrity fans.

Yes my OP was ridiculous. I genuinely got too excited about Fer, Van Wolfswinkel, and Redmond.

Their inconsistency, or in the case of RVW complete failure to make an impact, is disappointment to me and probably is to you too.

Cheers.

How is this becoming an Arsenal thing coming along?

Genuinely still puzzled how you could believe this. Also you should stop being petty it doesn''t really make you look any better.

"Genuinely still puzzled how you could believe this"

It was obviously a hypothetical question with no timescale applied, something which I made pretty clear in this thread.

It is going pretty rubbish, obviously. Van Wolfswinkel isn''t our Van Persie, that''s the biggest problem.

He is the new Bosko Balaban,

Even if he was our RVP we wouldn''t be able to keep him that was the fatal flaw. Other issue is it isn''t going rubbish as we were never going to become a big club on the back of these signings. If we were to establish ourselves in the top 10 these signings would have to be big successes and when we inevitably sell them their replacements like wise.

Even with no timescale this is very unlikely Arsenal pre Wenger were a very big club. Something Norwich never really have been.

Thanks mate. This has all become quite civilised and un-Pinkun like. I don''t expect a slap on the back for going to Uni- that''s not what I meant, and it can be argued that wanting to learn and going to Uni aren''t always similar, given what you can ''study'' these days. Anyway that''s another debate for another day..

Bosko Balaban eh?

Expect a bump....