Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Rays Funds Discussion

Raising money for the academy has been questioned on the threads and also to me personally over the last few months. There is an opinion that we are in effect raising money for a multi-million-pound business. Added to which this business has outgrown fans groups like FONCY who used to raise money and these groups have folded. It has been suggested that under the circumstances the funds we raise could be better used elsewhere.

When this was brought up after we lost the Dixmar sponsorship the decision was to carry on raising funds for FONCY. After FONCY folded we then carried on raising funds for the academy. But the football club and academy are in a very different place from where they were when Rays Funds started in 2006. At that time the few hundred pounds raised each season made a difference but I''m not sure that''s still the case. Which is why I have some sympathy with those suggesting that we should support a local charity where the money could make a difference.

Thankfully I don''t have to make this decision. I administer Rays Funds on behalf of all the PUPs and I''m happy to go with the majority decision. I think it would be good to have a discussion on the message board and our Facebook group followed by a vote. The way I see it there are three options :-

1. To carry on raising money for the academy.

2. To raise money for a local charity.

3. To split the money raised between the academy and a local charity.

I''m in favour of a discussion because there are many things to consider before we make up our minds and I know there are PUPs with strong views on each of the options. I propose that we discuss this for the remainder of July then take a vote over the first week in August.

Hope you''re all having a great summer but keeping in shape for the long season ahead[;)]

Carve their names with pride.Yankee,4,Fellas,3,P''boro,2,Mr Chops,2,NewYork,2, Inch High,3, Blahblahblah, NCFC_Shaun, 1st Wazzock,3, Fonejacker,3, Norfolkbroadslim, Norfolkchance1,2, Scooby,3, Trent Canary, Cosmic Twin, Graham Humphrey, Leedscanary,2, NcfcStar, Herman, Delia’s Devonshire Dirtbox, Lappinitup, Statto, Mandie Moo, Mr Bump, Kathy, Til1010 yes Norfolkchance1 £2038 for the Academy,so far.

Not involved of course so my vote should perhaps not count, but some ideas would be:
  • Darren Huckerby Trust
  • Hillside Animal Sanctuary 
  • Norwich Foodbank
If I did have a vote then a local charity such as these would make sense. 

I''m hoping you will be involved in the new season buddy. We can discuss which charity if that''s the way the PUPs decide to go. However which way we go is the big decision we have to make which is why I hope we get some discussion on here.

I would support the raising of funds for a local charity.The Darren Huckerby Trust is probably the most "on point" given his illustrious contribution to the football club at a time when things weren''t always so rosy.There is also the Norwich City Community Sports Foundation which may develop some of tomorrow''s academy players.

Great idea to put this up for discussion, and before I go on, Newboy I hope you join in once the season starts!

Personally I think changing to raising money for a charity would be a really good idea. Although its fantastic to raise even a small amount for the academy and be part of what they have achieved, reasonably unless we won every week with a fairly big price accy we aren''t going to make any difference in the grand scheme of things.

I guess the only issue would be how many people would pull out if it wasn''t for the academy, I''d hope none, perhaps it would entice a few more to join in. And then what charity would we go with? There are so many deserving causes even just locally and I''m sure most here will have their own charity or two they feel strongly about.

Also, Nutty I''ll PM you soon as I''ve had a few ideas that may help get a few more contributing and keeping the number of picks up every week (and keeping them on time).

I only just joined the PUPs at the end of last season, and found it to be friendliest group on any forum. I certainly am looking forward to joining up properly this seasons regardless of the charity supported.

My vote for a charity to support would be East Anglian Children''s Hospice or the air ambulance. Both long established and work over a large area of our supporter base.

Whatever decision is reached will have my support. Only a few more weeks till we get some proper footy matches to tip (hopelessly!)

Very fair points Nutty and all very well put, i hope the thread remains and people get behind whatever the majority verdict chosen by the pups is. As you''ve said the landscape has changed as regards NCFC''s status and their academy funding. I would still like something connecting the club to a charity - maybe one of the ones that have been on the shirts such as EACH or the railway cildren.

I haven''t posted a nap in ages, I am not sure if it was this season or last that I last posted one. 
I do feel that the club no longer needs the few hundred pounds that the PUPs raise over the course of a 40 week season. I think the club and the Academy are past the stage where every pound they can get will make a difference. Having achieved the top category for our academy which will be costing hundred of thousands a year if not a million plus a couple of hundred is a drop in the ocean.
A local charity on the other hand could benefit from the money that is raised. If the choice is made that we do go down the Charity route I will take partnext season and through a scheme at work I can double any winnings up to a maximum of £400 (£800 goes to the Charity).
How you choose a charity is the tough part.
Davo

I''d fully support any winnings going to charity, and I would echo other posters sentiments regarding the current status of the Academy.

My own personal preference would be a local charity with a link of some sort to the club, i.e. EACH or the Huckerby Trust etc. That said I''d be more than happy to go with the consensus.

I think whilst it has been good fun to give the club, as you say, our contribution is now somewhat swamped by TV rights and all that jazz. The academy is now world wide with the highest possible status.

It would be a shame for the PUPS to fold, and we should rightly carry on for a good cause. As Davo says, what charity to choose in the big question.

It would be nice to keep it connected to the club in some way, maybe it if worth getting in touch with Darren Huckerby, who I''m sure would be interested in working together in some shape or form for his charity

Happy to go with the majority vote here, just want to see this keep going!

I think Mr Chops'' suggestion of the Norwich City Community Sports Foundation is excellent.

I''d like to suggest Darren Eadie''s depression charity - we''ve helped the youngsters for a few years, maybe there are some old pro''s that would appreciate some help

Will be back next season Nutty. I missed so many weeks.

I am with the majority on this. A local charity would benefit more from an cash raised by the PUPS.

As has been mentioned a charity with a strong City connection is the best imo, Hucks''s or similar.

I''d like to start doing this - it''s something I just haven''t ever got round to joining.

For sure, the club is very much in a different place now (no way I''d forego my rebate now given the tv £millions!) and it makes sense for the money raised to go to a local charity -I''d suggest that a sport based one or one with an NCFC connection makes most sense.

Nutty you and I have had many disagreements BUT I have always admired your unselfish work for the Quidenham Hospice.

Why not use Ray''s Funds for that very worthwhile cause?

You could have my £10 any day towards that.[:D]

As a thought if it is agreed that the money going to a local charity is the best way forward, could we not follow the club and donate the money to who ever is on the shirt for that particular season?
Davo

I also vote for a charity only.

I also agree that Chops'' second suggestion of the Norwich City Community Sports Foundation is an excellent one.[Y]

I think that any charity should be a local one and one that is at least sports related if not football related.  I feel that the NCCSF would be in keeping with the reasons why Ray wanted to set this up in the first place.

I am not local, so I don''t really know what other charities (if any) would fit with the above?

So to clarify -

Charity only and one which fits in with Ray''s ethos[:)]

Right with you SLIM...

I think we are in a situation where the club doesn''t really need our small contribution.  I think its been a great group to be part of for the last few years, and I really enjoy reading and posting views on the weeks betting.

Just a thought, is it worth contacting the club?  Whilst the club may be celebrating new found fortune, I''m sure they would still be disappointed to hear that we feel that our contribution is not worthwhile.  Didn''t Ricky Martin or someone else fairly high profile come to a few of the end of season do''s?

I think if we go with donating to a charity, something local and something connected to NCFC, so the club can still be involved on presentation nights, is the way to go. 

Once again, I''d like to take the opportunity to say thanks for all the work you put in to keeping the free bet going Eddy, you''ll have a tenner off me in a few weeks for the new season.  [:D]

[quote user="Leedscanary"]Happy to go with the majority vote here, just want to see this keep going! I think Mr Chops'' suggestion of the Norwich City Community Sports Foundation is excellent. I''d like to suggest Darren Eadie''s depression charity - we''ve helped the youngsters for a few years, maybe there are some old pro''s that would appreciate some help[/quote]

These two charities have my vote but I think as far as Darren Eadie''s is concerned I must point out that as for helping old pro''s  Kathy has now accepted that it is over between her and Grant and has moved on with her life. [;)]

Seriously though I think Eddie was initially testing the water with regard to whether we continue with giving our profits to the club or move in the direction of charity. It appears that everybody so far thinks charity is the way forward and a decision as to which charity is for discussion further down the line.

Those of us who helped so generously fund the bets last season money getting donations to Eddie I hope will repeat their help for this coming season.  After all 40 weeks entertainment for only a tenner is good value.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Leedscanary"]Happy to go with the majority vote here, just want to see this keep going! I think Mr Chops'' suggestion of the Norwich City Community Sports Foundation is excellent. I''d like to suggest Darren Eadie''s depression charity - we''ve helped the youngsters for a few years, maybe there are some old pro''s that would appreciate some help[/quote]

These two charities have my vote but I think as far as Darren Eadie''s is concerned I must point out that as for helping old pro''s  Kathy has now accepted that it is over between her and Grant and has moved on with her life. [;)]

Seriously though I think Eddie was initially testing the water with regard to whether we continue with giving our profits to the club or move in the direction of charity. It appears that everybody so far thinks charity is the way forward and a decision as to which charity is for discussion further down the line.

Those of us who helped so generously fund the bets last season by getting money donations to Eddie I hope will repeat their help for this coming season.  After all 40 weeks entertainment for only a tenner is good value.

[/quote]

Whatever happened there ? [:$]

What Kev said or having had a personal connection with Quidenham in the past that too ,but I am happy to go with wharever is decided.

Oh and just to let all my pup friends know I have been on a bit of a diet and have so far shed 3 1/2 stone with the intention of shedding another 3 1/2 by January ;-)

[quote user="InchY van Foxtodger"]What Kev said or having had a personal connection with Quidenham in the past that too ,but I am happy to go with wharever is decided.

Oh and just to let all my pup friends know I have been on a bit of a diet and have so far shed 3 1/2 stone with the intention of shedding another 3 1/2 by January ;-)[/quote]We''ll have to start calling you inch wide...  great stuff.

I''d love to see Ray''s good work continue, I''m sure he would have loved for it to continue even if we changed tack slightly.Charity would have my vote, and personally I think we should still keep some kind of connection to NCFC, so whether that be one of the charities that have graced our shirts over the last few seasons (EACH, Railway Children etc) or the CSF I think they''d all appreciate the work done by the pickers each week.

Again, not involved with this but, as being involved with the Academy, I don''t believe the club would use the money effectively or even appreciate the sums raised these days. think it would be better served to a charity.

Thankfully the most important decision has already been made by you Nutty.

That is the fact that this - the best thread on this board, and most unifying! - is going to continue. Ray''s visionary idea to bring us fans together via this was (and still is) fantastic. 25p a week over the 40 week season is all it costs, and I''d be amazed if you can get more enjoyment for that sort of money!

Everyone seems to be in agreement we go down the charity route, it''s just picking which one!

I''m just happy to be involved with the free bet.

I''m not part of rays funds, I''m considering joining in though, and I have to say that giving to a local charity appeals to me more than a multi-million pound football which, to be honest, doesn''t need donations.

GPele - I look forward to your ideas buddy and thanks for all the help and support you give these threads.

Davo - Your ''Double Bubble'' is exciting if we go down the charity route. Thanks buddy.

Newboy, Branston, Number 9, Coachkemp and BWCat please stick around and help Rays Funds throughout next season. You are all welcome as is anyone else on this message board.

The Butler - Thanks for your kind words. Supporting NCFC and Quidenham have been big parts of my life and it was a proud and special day for me when the two came together and the players had EACH on their shirts. However if we decide to go down that route choosing which charity will be entirely up to our PUPs and my commitment to Rays Funds will not change whatever they decide to do.

Inchy - That''s awesome buddy. Well done! However there is no truth in the rumour that Tilly and I found the 3 1/2 stone you lost!

It''s difficult to say what Ray would have done. I have given that a lot of thought. What I can tell you is that you PUPs were like an NCFC family to him and the money raised was secondary to that.

It also needs to be said that Ricky Martin has always been very grateful for the funds we raise and asks me how things are going every time  I bump into him.

The rationale for raising money for the Academy has disappeared. I did wonder about the 50-50 option, on the basis that interest might fall away if there was no longer a connection with the club. But it seems clear from the responses here that is not a danger. If anything more posters might be drawn in if a proper charity was the beneficiary.As to which charity or charities (we could indeed have a new one each year) I would suggest they should be local (as in killiecanary''s idea of covering our supporter base), dealing with a crucial - probably medical/caring - need, and plainly in need of the money.