McLovin

Fabio Quagliarella

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]That is indeed the Wes conundrum PC. You have to make concessions to team shape and pattern of play for Wes. This often means he is Inherent to creation, often meaning that if he is stifled we are too little of a threat. It can also be observed that others are not always sure what he will do and tend therefore to be a little passive in my view, rather waiting for him to conjure something. Wes does not instinctively shoot early, or indeed often not at all, this is an issue, as a number 10 is ideally much more of a goal threat. Without the pace to link and burst beyond a target 9, Wes is a nightmare to mark, but doesn''t really regularly threaten goals or fast, penetrative assists to PL defences. He is excellent at holding the ball in or near the final third and pulling defences (initially) out of shape as a consequence. I think he is a super player though, as a coach, he does need his particular skills moulded into a functioning unit. The diamond is ideal for him , but this is a huge trade off and much of its success for Norwich was in lower leagues against weaker opposition, where turnover transitions and fast breaking counters were rare on a windy night in Stockport. Our hard won defensively solidity cannot be jeopardised. It allowed us to achieve notable points against top six sides who are on paper better than us. The 4231 shape morphing to 4123 in possession does not really allow the luxury of a centrally focused 9 , (threatening) 10, plus a Wes. 4321 is a strong shape and one I like, though Wes would have to be left of the 2 and I don''t like his tactical discipline drifting wide. He needs a central role, whereby any tactical or defensive work he does is a welcome bonus. As we attract increasing numbers of technically and tactically multi-functional players who give the opposition a clear and ongoing technical threat that they have to counter and do doing lose some of their own potency (Quagliarella dropping deep and shooting, RvW in behind with darting runs, Hooper predatory box finishes), Wes will be a wonderful, impish addition when chasing a game and a wild card can be played.[/quote]

Thanks for that interesting analysis. I am entirely not sure about Quagliarella; there is a chance he won''t transplant from Italian football to what is still a different culture. I really would like to be convinced, having always been  fan of Italian football, as decade in, decade out, the best. Even in the ultra-defensive days of catenaccio, when I saw some classic 1-0s and 0-0s while on holiday. It was grown-up football, tactically fascinating. Being at Carrow Road when we beat Arsenal 1-0 was like being Tardised back to see Inter in the late 1960s.

[/quote]

I''ve always had an affinity for Italian football too. The mixture of passion, flair, power and tactical prowess is fantastic. Would love to see Quagliarella at Carrow Road. I have a tiny trace of Italian blood in me too so I guess that''s another reason why i''m finding this rumour extra exciting!

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]If you ask me he''s too old.

I would love to be proved wrong though..[/quote]Thanks Wiz.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]If you ask me he''s too old.

I would love to be proved wrong though..
[/quote]

Thanks Wiz.
[/quote]

I''m not gh3yc.................but I do agree with him, we made little effort to keep a 32 year old PROVEN Premier striker/captain in Holt, but we are prepared to risk £7 million on a 31yr old unproven one.

Madness!

[quote user="Wiz"]
I''m not gh3yc.................but I do agree with him, we made little effort to keep a 32 year old PROVEN Premier striker/captain in Holt, but we are prepared to risk £7 million on a 31yr old unproven one.

Madness!

[/quote]
But was Holt really "PROVEN" in the formation that clearly Hughton wants us to play?? Also Quag is 30 plus I think his record speaks for its self even though he has not played in the premiership to say that he can have success. 2012-2013, 35 game, 13 goals, 5 assists and 18 of those games he came off the bench, also 7 of those games were in the champions league and he scored 4 goals......
Bloody Madness indeed that we would want to improve our squad with such a player........ #tool!

[quote user="YellowBlood"][quote user="Wiz"]

Madness!

[/quote]

But was Holt really "PROVEN" in the formation that clearly Hughton wants us to play?? Also Quag is 30 plus I think his record speaks for its self even though he has not played in the premiership to say that he can have success. 2012-2013, 35 game, 13 goals, 5 assists and 18 of those games he came off the bench, also 7 of those games were in the champions league and he scored 4 goals......

Bloody Madness indeed that we would want to improve our squad with such a player........ #tool!

[/quote]

Wow!..20 million years in the making and you manage to come up with his.................get back to twitter or where ever else you children hang out![:S]

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="YellowBlood"][quote user="Wiz"]

Madness!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow!..20 million years in the making and you manage to come up with his.................get back to twitter or where ever else you children hang out![:S]

[/quote]
Is that the only way you can come back at me? not even trying to defend your point that you think it was madness that we let Holt go, even though he clearly was not 100% suited to the way Hughton wanted to play which even the big man himself admitted when we started to play that formation. Also you think Quag is a risk to buy over letting Holt go, I would like to hear why you think this, and to say that Holt was proven and Quag is not is not really a very good argument, there are many top top quality players out side the prem yet this does not mean they don''t have the qualities to play in it.

[quote user="Wiz"]

we made little effort to keep a 32 year old PROVEN Premier striker/captain in Holt, but we are prepared to risk £7 million on a 31yr old unproven one.

Madness!

[/quote]
Quagliarella is 30, not 31.
30 is around (29-31) the same age as:
Robin van Persie
Arjen Robben
Carlos Tevez
Dimitar Berbatov
Zlatan Ibrahimovic
I''d take any of those ''too old'' players at Carrow Road if we had the funds.... Not that old really if he can get goals. He''ll have a good 3 or 4 seasons in him yet.
Quagliarella is a better player than Grant Holt.

[quote user="87canary"][quote user="Wiz"]

we made little effort to keep a 32 year old PROVEN Premier striker/captain in Holt, but we are prepared to risk £7 million on a 31yr old unproven one.

Madness!

[/quote]

Robin van Persie

Arjen Robben

Carlos Tevez

Dimitar Berbatov

Zlatan Ibrahimovic

I''d take any of those ''too old'' players at Carrow Road if we had the funds.... Not that old really if he can get goals. He''ll have a good 3 or 4 seasons in him yet.

[/quote]

Hopefully, it''ll never be put to the test here 87''

This is the first time I''ve opened this thread. Could anyone provide me with a summary of the last 45 pages? Cheers. ;^ )

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="87canary"][quote user="Wiz"]

Madness!

[/quote]

Robin van Persie

Arjen Robben

Carlos Tevez

Dimitar Berbatov

Zlatan Ibrahimovic

[/quote]

Hopefully, it''ll never be put to the test here 87''

[/quote]
Personally, I hope it is.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]If you ask me he''s too old.

I would love to be proved wrong though..[/quote]Thanks Wiz.[/quote]

Madness!

[/quote]I know you''re not, I know who it is, it''s CT.  He just models himself you on Wiz.

Pyro

The thread can be summed up as:

He will sign for us, he will never sign for us, he is a great player and he os to old

Wiz

Understand your concerns, however your post ignores the small facts of the desire of Grant Holt to move to the North to be closer to his family (look at the motorway network and take a guess at what the comparative journey times of Norfolk to Carlisle and Wigan to Carlisle are) and  that Quag is not a direct replacement for Holty (I would suggest that is probably another chap with the same initials).

[quote user="Wiz"]

I would love to be proved wrong though..[/quote]Thanks Wiz.[/quote]

Madness!

[/quote]
I half agree and half disagree with this post. There was little point in keeping an unhappy Holt, because we wouldn''t have seen Grant Holt but Grunt Holt. He had to go, and good luck to him. 1 in 1 for Wigan and I hope he scores forty.
I do agree with the Quags signing though. A 31 year old non-English speaker for a significant sum of money who thinks he is a bit above this team that he''s never heard of, probably wanting to be the big fish in a team which now has two very talented high profile strikers, for a big transfer fee.
I''d rather us take a punt on Anthony Knockeart from Leicester, or if the price is right Shaun Maloney from Wigan. 

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]This is the first time I''ve opened this thread. Could anyone provide me with a summary of the last 45 pages? Cheers. ;^ )[/quote]

Something like this:

Rumours of Quagliarella signing

OMG OMG what an amazing signing he''d be

we should never have got rid of Holt

Concrete rumours of Quag bid

Wow this is actually possibly happening

He''s a tad old for £8m

are you mad? how can you even debate the possibility of Quag joining?!

Other teams like Roma and West Ham will trump us

Other teams can''t afford/ don''t want him.

Rumours of a new improived bid.

We should never have got rid of Holt

He''d complete the team (along with a centre back)

He''s a tad old for £8m and what wages does he want.

Hope this one comes off

Pages of useless keyboard warrioresque drivel

Everton are keen (or is it Matri they want?)

This is a long thread.

Quagliarella would be magnificent

is 30 too old?

That just about covers it.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="Pyro Pete"]This is the first time I''ve opened this thread. Could anyone provide me with a summary of the last 45 pages? Cheers. ;^ )[/quote]

Something like this:

Rumours of Quagliarella signing

OMG OMG what an amazing signing he''d be

we should never have got rid of Holt

Concrete rumours of Quag bid

Wow this is actually possibly happening

He''s a tad old for £8m

are you mad? how can you even debate the possibility of Quag joining?!

Other teams like Roma and West Ham will trump us

Other teams can''t afford/ don''t want him.

Rumours of a new improived bid.

He''d complete the team (along with a centre back)

He''s a tad old for £8m and what wages does he want.

Hope this one comes off

Pages of useless keyboard warrioresque drivel

Everton are keen (or is it Matri they want?)

This is a long thread.

Quagliarella would be magnificent

is 30 too old?

That just about covers it.[/quote]
You missed ''Doesn''t speak English''. 

Please don''t see this as aggressive, but I have seen the ''doesn''t speak English'' remark a few times, do you have a link to an article or something that states this?

I have looked up his Twitter feed and there are plenty of English statements that feature on there. Not overly complicated ones but at least a suggestion that he knows more English than none at all.

The New Boy wrote - "I do agree with the Quags signing though. A 31 year old non-English speaker for a significant sum of money who thinks he is a bit above this team that he''s never heard of, probably wanting to be the big fish in a team which now has two very talented high profile strikers, for a big transfer fee."

31 year old? - 30 actually.

Non-English speaker? - Got proof of that?

A bit above this team that he has never heard of and wanting to be a big fish? - That''s just a negative assumption on your part.

I would rather have three very talented, high profile strikers than two. It''s a long season and we need to factor in injuries, suspensions, rotation, tactics and rest.

Making three good strikers all play enough would be difficult and possible not beneficial. We don''t play in Europe and thus probably don''t need a 3rd one or at least one who could be expensive.

[quote user="The New Boy"]
I do agree with the Quags signing though. A 31 year old non-English speaker for a significant sum of money who thinks he is a bit above this team that he''s never heard of, probably wanting to be the big fish in a team which now has two very talented high profile strikers, for a big transfer fee.
I''d rather us take a punt on Anthony Knockeart from Leicester, or if the price is right Shaun Maloney from Wigan. 
[/quote]
[quote]A 31 year old[/quote]
He''s 30.
[quote]non-English speaker[/quote]
Becchio and Garrido hardly speak perfect English.
[quote]who thinks he is a bit above this team that he''s never heard of, probably wanting to be the big fish in a team which now has two very talented high profile strikers[/quote]
Any basis for this? Not seen it mentioned anywhere.... Seems to be conjecture (made up).
[quote]Anthony Knockeart from Leicester[/quote]
Bottled it in the playoff semi-final. Also a winger, different type of player to Quagliarella.
[quote]Shaun Maloney from Wigan[/quote]
Relegated for a reason. Would reportedly cost more than Quagliarella, and is the same age.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]31 year old? - 30 actually. [/quote]
30 years, 6 months and 5 days actually. 

[quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]31 year old? - 30 actually. [/quote]
[/quote]
So he''s 30 and a half, that still isn''t 31.

He won''t be signed to primarily compete with Hooper and RVW, he''ll be signed to challenge Hoolahan and provide more of a goal threat than Hoolahan can from attacking midfield.

[quote user="87canary"]
He''s 30. [/quote]
He''s 30 years, 6 months and 5 days. 
[quote] Becchio and Garrido hardly speak perfect English. [/quote]
[quote] Any basis for this? Not seen it mentioned anywhere.... Seems to be conjecture (made up).[/quote]
1. I know what conjecture means.
2. Yeah because he seems dead keen don''t he. 
[quote] Bottled it in the playoff semi-final. Also a winger, different type of player to Quagliarella. [/quote]
He missed a penalty which he won by diving. Hardly ''bottled it''. Penalties get missed, he had the balls to take it. His best position is second striker, he is being played out of position at Leicester. In France he was a second striker for Guingamp and is a second striker for France Under 21''s. 
[quote] Relegated for a reason.[/quote]
Oh that little nugget again. What wonderful insight into a players abilities. He was relegated so he must be sh*te. Let''s look at our own little collection of players relegated from the Premier League: Bassong, Turner, Olsson, Bunn. Clearly all rubbish. 
[quote]  Would reportedly cost more than Quagliarella [/quote]
1. Reported by who?
2. I said "if the price is right"
[quote]  is the same age [/quote]
5 days younger actually. Adds at least 50 pence to his transfer value. 

[quote user="87canary"][quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]31 year old? - 30 actually. [/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Well it isn''t 30 either is it? It is 30 and a half. 

how many champions league games, League Titles, cups and International appearences have the players you mentioned from Wigan and Leicester got New Boy?

I look forward to seeing your answer, such illustrious and decorated players they are.

Canarygirl wrote - "Did you see my previous post JG?"

Sorry, I have now though ;-) .

Just having an educated and hopeful guess using the bits and bobs that we have;

1, Currently in the Guinness Tournament but looks like Juventus won''t make the final day so presume that they will be flying back Wednesday. That gives him Thursday and Friday to come over here for a look around Colney. Presumably CH and McNally have already done a lot of selling to him and he would be aware of the package available.

2, Juventus want to sell two strikers, him and Matri are the favourites to go. We are getting towards the sum required so a little bit of haggling may still be needed but I''m sure that this has been in progress for a while.

3, Other clubs have dropped out - Valencia and West Ham, I don''t think the rumours of Everton being interested held any weight.

4, Other rumours that he (and his partner) would not be averse to a move here.

5, The kudos of being able to unveil him at half-time during the Panathanikos (sp?) game would be massive.

[quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="87canary"][quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]31 year old? - 30 actually. [/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Well it isn''t 30 either is it? It is 30 and a half. 
[/quote]
Well he''s still a week younger than Shaun Maloney....
If you want to split hairs