McLovin

Fabio Quagliarella

Holy s***e that was a goal. Just imagine what could have been...

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1036388470346924032

[quote user="Ian"]Holy s***e that was a goal. Just imagine what could have been...

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1036388470346924032[/quote] FQ''s reaction was every bit as good as the goal; casualness elevated to art.

This goal is discussed in yesterdays 5 live football daily podcast, but spends more time discussing the impact a Napoli stalker had on his career, with a twist that must have inspired Jed Mercurio in his plots for Line of Duty.

For those, like me, that were not aware this this part of his story its worth spending 6 mins listen to, starting around 8 min 40 in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06kgrd4

Fab has scored again today meaning he's scored in each of the last nine games, joint top scorer with Ronaldo! What might have been!!!

Edited by Miss Demeanor
  • Like 1

On 11/03/2019 at 15:49, Drazen Muzinic said:

Nah, wouldn't get in the team!

Would have done in our hour of need though.

To be fair our ridiculous interest and pursuit of the Quag was symptomatic of the recruitment issues the club has battled until recently. Nice to think if he joined, but if I remember correctly we also tried to lure the likes Alderweireld (2015) and Koulibaly (2013). We ended up with the likes of Mulumbu(2015) and Yobo (2013). 

Thank Christ we have a better recruitment set up now...

Edited by CanaryChris

Does it though Chris? At the time we were trying to lure alderweireld and koulibaly they were still young and not well known and we could offer them premiership football, we were positioning ourselves as a stepping stone. If I remember rightly with the Q hughton went over and talked to him as well, so the agent must have made encouraging sounds on that front too (even if it was just to add weight to their bargaining position). The only ridiculous part of our recruitment attempts was not having suitable back up options hence having to sink as low as we did...

Edited by cornish sam

You're right wcork we did but as he ended up at southampton he was probably a more realistic target.

Sam, Alderweireld said it was not status but personal terms that ended our negotiations. He ended up at Tottenham. It was status. Why the heck koulibaly would leave Napoli for us?? And while terms appeared settled for Quag he opted to stay with a much larger italian club. I just think too much effort and too many resources were poured into targets that were never realistic. It meant that when these inevitably fell through we were rushing to get someone upright with a pulse.

Edited by CanaryChris

Ok Chris, so we were close to getting alderweireld and quag and according to BYG we were rejected pretty quickly by Napoli (he might have left there because at the time was not getting matches and wanted to try his hand at the prem). So it doesn't actually seem too ridiculous an approach. We were taking a risky strategy, but that sometimes works (e.g. Bolton when they had jayjay et al)... I'm not saying it was the correct thing to do and I'm not saying that it wasn't damaging in the long run, but at the time it wasn't as ridiculous as it may now seem...

Fair enough sam. It is only my opinion anyway. I felt that at the time and in fact pretty much every time we have been in the prem I think our recruitment approach has been haphazard to say the least. The only season I can remember this was not the case was Lamberts season. Even then we brought in a heap of players just not expensive ones.

I haven't used this messageboard in nearly three years. I just did a quick search for this thread to see when it was last updated, and lo and behold, every one of his achievements from this season has been listed.

36-years-old and he still keeps getting better. This thread has got some serious mileage in it yet.

As his name is being cited on a few threads, I think we have to be realistic...he is in our price range ... but is about to call it a day on his carreer... Any other Italian has beens ,being linked to us?

Dubio Fusilli is highly rated as the next Italian superstar fully intent upon wending his way to Norfolk.

Watch this space. He has a lean and hungry look for sure.