McLovin

Fabio Quagliarella

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Twitter suggesting Valencia have bid 10m Euros. Suspect thats game over if true...[/quote]

Twitter isn''t suggesting that - people on Twitter are.

If you could mention who is saying it, and if possible provide links, that would help everyone when working out the veracity of the story.

Still don''t think there is anything in Valencia''s alleged interest.

Unless they are going in a very different direction in terms of tactics and style of play (which I don''t think they are), why would they replace Soldado with Quagliarella?

Completely different types of player and nobody has addressed this fact yet.

Subjunct to previous:

Good negotiating from Norwich who have not increased their (fair to generous) bid. Other major Italian have not come forward (at the price) and Juve Directors having assessed market options are now mindful of (more or less) accepting the existing Norwich bid. They need movement outwards and Quagliarella has been told to move on.

It would not be Bella fights for Quagliarella to drop to a middle tier Italian club - don''t forget he performed well for Juve when called on last year in top level games - and he has warmed to the idea of a move to England, which is a "cool" thing to do in Italian eyes and would not necessarily be perceived as a downwards move (in Italy). Norwich''s bid is a clever one, high enough to put off other Italian suitors, with comparatively generous wages and they are right to remain calm. Quagliarella is a little boxed in, juve want and ned to get things moving and Norwich have positioned themselves out of the reach of the competition and have the money ready. Good play. Hooligan is about to get some serious competition at 10, and he can play 9 if needed. Upgrading Hoolahan, competition for RVW et al, a new idol, European fame for Norwich and a real threat from outside the box against any side for £8m..... Welcome to the big time.....

I''d be happy with either. It''s great to have an insider view from much closer to the action though Parma Ham. Now that Hooper has signed and opened his account (twice) last night, this all seems a little less urgent.

Excellent if those reports are true and the patience and approach is commendable

Certainly I am totally behind our approach a player who can add so much and he would be one of the faces of Ncfc. He can be that catalyst and if course with injuries we would have three quality striker fabio, rvw and hooper, becchio a fantastic fourth choice who will have games and be a sub in games and come on when we are chasing. We have to have cover for injuries. Really interesting how this is developing.

Kangaroo Court wrote - "Can''t see how he''d fit into Hughton''s 4-2-3-1 with Hooper and RvW fighting for a place."

Use your imagination.

He''s the middle one of the 3.

Ideally suited to dropping deep and linking play a la Hoolahan. Though also capable of shooting (and scoring) from distance. He also has the vision to play slide passes bisecting CB and FB for RvW or Hooper.

He is the key piece of the jigsaw linking midfield and attack. In fact he is perfect for our style of sitting deep with a defensive shape, approaching final third carefully with minimum risk (on transition or counter), whilst genuinely threatening from such a deep position. With RvW (or Hooper), stretching defences by playing on the shoulder, space is created for Quagliarella to exploit without compromising solidity in any way. Opposing central defenders will want to restrict space in behind, but will now not be able to leave Quagliarella 30m from goal. This is a simple (Italian) tactic that is easy to repeat and hard to defend (particularly with "flatter" style English defences less willing to move into midfield spaces).

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]He''s the middle one of the 3.

Ideally suited to dropping deep and linking play a la Hoolahan. Though also capable of shooting (and scoring) from distance. He also has the vision to play slide passes bisecting CB and FB for RvW or Hooper.

He is the key piece of the jigsaw linking midfield and attack. In fact he is perfect for our style of sitting deep with a defensive shape, approaching final third carefully with minimum risk (on transition or counter), whilst genuinely threatening from such a deep position. With RvW (or Hooper), stretching defences by playing on the shoulder, space is created for Quagliarella to exploit without compromising solidity in any way. Opposing central defenders will want to restrict space in behind, but will now not be able to leave Quagliarella 30m from goal. This is a simple (Italian) tactic that is easy to repeat and hard to defend (particularly with "flatter" style English defences less willing to move into midfield spaces).[/quote]

So - and this is not a complaint - you would struggle to fit Quagliarella and Hoolahan into the same starting line-up?

I think he would play instead of wes, and offer more goals from that position. This would I believe give us more options to change tactics during the games we play with one striker

Good insight Parma. I thought his role was more a second striker in a 4-4-2 but if he can play as you say then that would be perfect competition for Wes.

That is indeed the Wes conundrum PC. You have to make concessions to team shape and pattern of play for Wes. This often means he is Inherent to creation, often meaning that if he is stifled we are too little of a threat. It can also be observed that others are not always sure what he will do and tend therefore to be a little passive in my view, rather waiting for him to conjure something. Wes does not instinctively shoot early, or indeed often not at all, this is an issue, as a number 10 is ideally much more of a goal threat. Without the pace to link and burst beyond a target 9, Wes is a nightmare to mark, but doesn''t really regularly threaten goals or fast, penetrative assists to PL defences. He is excellent at holding the ball in or near the final third and pulling defences (initially) out of shape as a consequence. I think he is a super player though, as a coach, he does need his particular skills moulded into a functioning unit. The diamond is ideal for him , but this is a huge trade off and much of its success for Norwich was in lower leagues against weaker opposition, where turnover transitions and fast breaking counters were rare on a windy night in Stockport. Our hard won defensively solidity cannot be jeopardised. It allowed us to achieve notable points against top six sides who are on paper better than us. The 4231 shape morphing to 4123 in possession does not really allow the luxury of a centrally focused 9 , (threatening) 10, plus a Wes. 4321 is a strong shape and one I like, though Wes would have to be left of the 2 and I don''t like his tactical discipline drifting wide. He needs a central role, whereby any tactical or defensive work he does is a welcome bonus. As we attract increasing numbers of technically and tactically multi-functional players who give the opposition a clear and ongoing technical threat that they have to counter and do doing lose some of their own potency (Quagliarella dropping deep and shooting, RvW in behind with darting runs, Hooper predatory box finishes), Wes will be a wonderful, impish addition when chasing a game and a wild card can be played.

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]That is indeed the Wes conundrum PC. You have to make concessions to team shape and pattern of play for Wes. This often means he is Inherent to creation, often meaning that if he is stifled we are too little of a threat. It can also be observed that others are not always sure what he will do and tend therefore to be a little passive in my view, rather waiting for him to conjure something. Wes does not instinctively shoot early, or indeed often not at all, this is an issue, as a number 10 is ideally much more of a goal threat. Without the pace to link and burst beyond a target 9, Wes is a nightmare to mark, but doesn''t really regularly threaten goals or fast, penetrative assists to PL defences. He is excellent at holding the ball in or near the final third and pulling defences (initially) out of shape as a consequence. I think he is a super player though, as a coach, he does need his particular skills moulded into a functioning unit. The diamond is ideal for him , but this is a huge trade off and much of its success for Norwich was in lower leagues against weaker opposition, where turnover transitions and fast breaking counters were rare on a windy night in Stockport. Our hard won defensively solidity cannot be jeopardised. It allowed us to achieve notable points against top six sides who are on paper better than us. The 4231 shape morphing to 4123 in possession does not really allow the luxury of a centrally focused 9 , (threatening) 10, plus a Wes. 4321 is a strong shape and one I like, though Wes would have to be left of the 2 and I don''t like his tactical discipline drifting wide. He needs a central role, whereby any tactical or defensive work he does is a welcome bonus. As we attract increasing numbers of technically and tactically multi-functional players who give the opposition a clear and ongoing technical threat that they have to counter and do doing lose some of their own potency (Quagliarella dropping deep and shooting, RvW in behind with darting runs, Hooper predatory box finishes), Wes will be a wonderful, impish addition when chasing a game and a wild card can be played.[/quote]

Thanks for that interesting analysis. I am entirely not sure about Quagliarella; there is a chance he won''t transplant from Italian football to what is still a different culture. I really would like to be convinced, having always been  fan of Italian football, as decade in, decade out, the best. Even in the ultra-defensive days of catenaccio, when I saw some classic 1-0s and 0-0s while on holiday. It was grown-up football, tactically fascinating. Being at Carrow Road when we beat Arsenal 1-0 was like being Tardised back to see Inter in the late 1960s.

I would agree PC and I also have those concerns. As a player he is a round peg in a round hole and perfect for right now. He is expensive for his age , but that''s why we could get him. Could he adapt on a personal level? There is the gamble. Incredible though it is to say it, we can probably afford it in both monetary and playing terms. The times they are a changin''.....

Excellent analysis Parma. With RvW and Hooper now in, any risk involved with Quagliarella is lessened, especially if another AM option can be added (there''s space for that after Surman leaving on loan). Nick Powell on loan from ManUtd has been mentioned and at 19, he wouldn''t even cost a squad place.

If we got Powell on loan then there would be one of those silly "so many matches guaranteed" clauses involved. With Quagliarella, Wes and Redmond all capable of playing the AM/SS role do we need to give another Club''s youngsters game time? Remember that Kane was brought in to play this role last season and look at how that turned out.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11709/8855032/transfer-news-juventus-confirm-two-strikers-set-to-leave-the-club

Not a great deal of info in the article to be honest, but for anyone that hasn''t seen this, Juventus have pretty much confirmed Quagliarella and Matri are being sold imminently. I know that these two being surplus to requirements has been pretty well documented with new boys Tevez and Llorente, as well as Giovinco and Vucinic being ahead of them in the pecking order. However I doubt that the club would confirm this and speak openly about it to the Italian press if deals for them weren''t almost sewn up.

Yeah, he''s a right old Grandad at 30, isn''t he - i''d be surprised if he wasn''t incontinent or something, too! In the real world, he will probably be good for 3-4 years or more, which is more than enough: after all, any player can have his career ruined by injury at any point, signing 21 year-olds doesn''t take the risk away.

Have not read all 44 pages of this, but you seem to talk sense, are you making a calculaed guess here or do you have some information ?

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]I''m going to stick my neck out here and say that he will be introduced (non-playing) at the game on Saturday.[/quote]

A bold prediction JG. I hope you turn out to be correct.[:)]