McLovin

Fabio Quagliarella

I''ve said this before and i''ll say it again. Why do we have to sign players who want to move on?! Why can''t they sign, fall in love with the club and stay?

Keelansglove wrote -

1, "I''ve said it before and I will say it again, Don''t want him !...."

2, "He has made no noises of having any interest in us..."

3, "Never sign a player that thinks he is doing you a favour....."

1, Fortunately it''s not your decision.

2, He has not made any noises at all, certainly not verifiable direct quotes.

3, Are you a mindreader?

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]

I''ve said it before and I will say it again, Don''t want him !

The Difference between him and all the other players you mention is that they are on the way up and have something to prove and potentially another move to play for.

He may give 100% in Serie A terms but not sure what the exchange rate is to EPL but the two leagues couldn''t be further apart in style.

He has made no noises of having any interest in us and if we did sign him I would think it would only be because no other team would come up with the cash, at least someone like Toivonen might think he is too good for us and try and prove it for a season to get another move.

Keep the money and buy a quality Attacking midfielder.

Never sign a player that thinks he is doing you a favour.

[/quote]

There is so much wrong with this post it''s unreal!. In your mind your opinions have become fact - well, none of us on here know what Quagliarella is thinking so well done for already labelling him a mercenary etc - for all you know he may well genuinely fancy a shot at playing in the Premier League. And FYI, as well as failures, there have been many success stories with Italian forwards in the Premier League - Zola, Ravanelli, Vialli etc but hey don''t let that get in the way of a good story ;-)

3) Ah yes I''m getting something from the other side..... Have you got a cat named Dave ? Ok maybe not.

This site is all about opinions and for tuppance heres mine.

There is no greater rule in football management than number 3 many managers have fallen putting too many eggs in the wrong basket.

1) We of course have to yield to the far greater knowledge of both football and particular players of our football club.

2) Ok so I fall into what might be called the "Toivonen" trap of attributing tiny snippets of badly translated newspaper title tattle and believing its true (I was one of the people mocking others for the same re Toivonen and now I am very ashamed)

I believe the word Prima Donna is Italian is it not ?

So if he signs saying that its his life long dream to test himself in the Premier league and can think of no better way than helping take Ncfc to the next level I will take my slice of humble pie like a man, but the thought of signing him still fills me with dread rather than the excitement I feel for the others.

Maybe I do have a 6th sense ??

Ps just back from my hols in Italy (not sure if that''s relevant)

Agreed I have addressed a number of your points in my last post Alex but don''t you think quoting successes that haven''t played in the Premier League since the turn of the century rather undermines your point ?  

For me, that fact that this is being so dificult, and this player (and others) is having problems making up their mind if they want to come to Norwich just proves that we are going for the right kind of player.Would you prefer to be picking up rejects from other premiership clubs, and free transfers? We''re looking for quality players to increase the quality of our squad. I''d rather be just getting or just missing out on quality players, than having players not good enough jump at the chance to play in the PL.Of course high quality players are going to be aprihensive about coming here. We''re Norwich. 4 years ago we were in the 3rd tier of English football. If I was a footballer, I''d be doing my due diligence as well.This may come as a surprise to people, but playing for Norwich City isn''t exactly a dream move for quality footballers Fabio Quagliarella or Ola Toivonen. We will sometimes miss out on players of this callable. Doesn''t mean we shouldn''t be trying to sign them, or get put off when it gets hard.

Can''t agree on the first point, if someone needs that much convincing to come to a premier league club then let them go to West Ham.

Of course we want to sign quality player but quality players that buy into what we are trying to achieve.

For the record I was/am very keen on Toivonen, and not very keen on Quagliarella (for the fees being put about without doubt a bigger risk than any other signings this summer)  

If you take the Italian league rather than just Italians that have played there then you have quite a few more players that have made the transition happily.

Henry, Viera, Hernan Crespo for example.

There are also other big name players that made their name in Italy such as Ibrahimovic, who have the class and ability to make the transition.

I don''t think you can rule any player out or in simply because of the league they have played in. As I have said countless times before, teams have signed a seemingly great signing from our own leagues before now only to see it not work out for whatever reason.

As for being a ''mercenary'' or ''journeyman'' I think you need to look into who signed him and how. Until he signed for Juve it looks like he was co-owned by a few teams which means he played for both of the teams. Having said that he has played for six with a couple of loans out making it 8, when he was a youngster.

Ricky van Wolfswinkel has played for four teams and is six years younger. Hooper has played for five teams and had two early career loans and is five years younger. Bradley Johnson has played for five teams and had three loans to other teams and is four years younger. Garrido has played for five teams.

My point is, he hasn''t played for that many more teams than quite a few of our current squad, are they all mercenaries? Journeymen? It proves very little in the modern game.

The truth is the player has said very little if anything to the press - nor it would seem to us as a club. I say that because all of the indicators so far suggest that a fee is yet to be agreed between the two clubs.

We''ll see how keen he is to come here when it comes down to how quickly he signs after a fee is agreed - or if he doesn''t.

As for Toivonen - give up on that one. If you want an example of a mercenary there you have one. He wants better football and yet no one out there is willing to give it to him - he throws his toys and his agents out of his pram.

I should imagine we have long since given up on him hence our interest in other players. And for what it is worth - the Italian league is of a higher standard than Holland, and we are talking about Juve too.

Can''t agree on the first point, if someone needs that much convincing to come to a premier league club then let them go to West Ham.

Of course we want to sign quality player but quality players that buy into what we are trying to achieve.

For the record I was/am very keen on Toivonen, and not very keen on Quagliarella (for the fees being put about without doubt a bigger risk than any other signings this summer)  

[/quote]I admire your idealism. It''s a tad unrealistic to think quality players around the world are going to "want in" to the "Norwich project" without having a long hard think, playing the other options and a bit of a hard sell.

On reading his Wiki page there is little in terms of stats that impresses me.

His cruciate ligament injury in 2011 is a worry and I think you should probably also be worried by any player that has such a high proportion of overheads in his goals.

I may be wrong but from the goals on youtube he appears to be an out and out striker and not the NO10 we actually need and 1 in 3 for a 30+ player at 6M who has never played outside Italy ? No thanks

I never suggested he was mercenary, I may have inferred we could be his final meal ticket (that Michael Owen did a great job for Stoke last year ?) You cannot compare him to any of our other signings in terms of potential value as all are likely to have a resale value along with a potentially longer career at Norwich. Before somebody else regurgitates the old "buying players is not about resale values" all business are to some degree or other about managing risks on investments and potential resale values are one factor to be included when deciding how much is a calculated risk. 

[/quote]

How anyone on this message board could judge whether a player ''buys into'' Norwich City is completely impossible. I struggle to understand on what grounds you make any such judgement about any of the players Norwich have signed, their name? age? height?

There are examples of players coming from a range of places at a range of ages and either being a massive success or a massive failure. What we know about Quaglairella is he has unquestionable ability and plays in a position that needs additions to. He also puts down a marker for the club, a very real statement of ambition.

I am completely undecided about this one. Neither overly keen on him or Toivonen personally.

Think it''s a big flashy name signing and that''s about it.

Its certainly not idealism the EPL is the richest league in the world and we can probably compete in terms of wages with most clubs in Europe where the players actually pay income tax. The biggest shop window in the world and probably a better chance of playing for a top 6 club in the UK by signing for us than rotting in Chelsea or Man City reserves.

Personally think we should be looking at the best player for the 4-6th best clubs in each league in Europe.

Haven''t read through this thread

completely, so apologies if this has been highlighted already.

Taken

from the official Juve website.
"FabioQuagliarella will be joining Norwich this week.
The Juventus striker really like the Premier League club. There have been a first formal offer by fax to EUR 6.5 million. But Juve think it is not enough.

It is therefore likely that in the coming days, there is a new offer,

more importantly, around eight million euros, which could lead to a

concrete discussion.
Emissaries of Norwich have already contacted the player with the ambitious plans of the club so anything can still happen."

[quote user="lake district canary"]Haven''t read through this thread completely, so apologies if this has been highlighted already.

Taken from the official Juve website.

"FabioQuagliarella will be joining Norwich this week.
The Juventus striker really like the Premier League club. There have been a first formal offer by fax to EUR 6.5 million. But Juve think it is not enough. It is therefore likely that in the coming days, there is a new offer, more importantly, around eight million euros, which could lead to a concrete discussion. Emissaries of Norwich have already contacted the player with the ambitious plans of the club so anything can still happen."

[/quote]

What do you think the ''official'' Juve website is? A link is always polite.

So basically go for the likes of El Sharaawy, Soldado, Niang, Belhanda, Martinez etc? Because I can''t see us being able to afford any of them.

I understand your concerns Keelan but why not give Quags the benefit of the doubt, he''s said to be interested in playing for a Prem team and if we can match his ambition (which I think we are) then there''s no reason why he won''t be dedicated to putting in 100% for us.

At the end of the day we are a medium sized club that has seen unbelievable success in recent years, we are not a big name that can attract all manor of footballers we will have to work hard to convince them. I''d rather have players that need to be convinced than others that blindly join just because of a bigger wage packet.

Its certainly not idealism the EPL is the richest league in the world and we can probably compete in terms of wages with most clubs in Europe where the players actually pay income tax. The biggest shop window in the world and probably a better chance of playing for a top 6 club in the UK by signing for us than rotting in Chelsea or Man City reserves.

Personally think we should be looking at the best player for the 4-6th best clubs in each league in Europe.

[/quote]Gareth Bale?

If Juv only want €8m and we previously offered €6.5m then I see no reason why we shouldn''t match their asking price. Really hoping this one come off.

Oh and ldc I couldn''t see anything on their official site but was it on a fan page or their official forum?

As I said earlier in the thread I am more than happy to eat a very large slice of humble pie should he sign and be a success with us. All I a saying is IF I were in charge he is not the kind of player I would go for considering the Age/Price/Injury/stats/wages/residual value.

Where''s he going to play?..because I can''t see him being happy to park his rear end on the bench, likewise GH or Wolfy.

I think we all know RvW is starting as our main man and personally I think it''ll be up to Hooper to prove himself from the bench as I could see Quags starting with/behind RvW in the Hoolahan role. I may however e wrong and we may go back to the diamond with all three playing.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Agreed I have addressed a number of your points in my last post Alex but don''t you think quoting successes that haven''t played in the Premier League since the turn of the century rather undermines your point ?  [/quote]

Actually, it''s quite the opposite - if anything it only strengthens my point because you''ve actuallly highlighted why Quagliarella would have a better chance of making it in Englands top tier 10-15 years on - the game is becoming more and more continental in style thanks to Premier League clubs employing so many more playing staff and managers from around the world than what we did back then, hence this will give the likes of FQ a greater chance to succeed. Only my opinion but if we signed him and Alderweireld our starting 11 would be quite formidable, and would certainly make people sit up and take notice...

I have watched a number of videos of Quagliarella and he doesn''t seem to play like a number 10 to me more an out and out striker.

Italian football is still as far as you can get away from the style of the EPL, played with no pace and little attacking intent (as always has been the case) Alderweireld on the other hand would be an amazing signing (even with the very strange name)

PS I really hate Italian football and would rather watch Ipswich Town.

Link reference below:http://www.juventus-fr.com/quagliarella-norwich-pret-a-augmenter-son-offre/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=quagliarella-norwich-pret-a-augmenter-son-offre

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]As I said earlier in the thread I am more than happy to eat a very large slice of humble pie should he sign and be a success with us. All I a saying is IF I were in charge he is not the kind of player I would go for considering the Age/Price/Injury/stats/wages/residual value.[/quote]

Age - 30, not a young player obviously, but with only Hoolahan the only regular starter from last season who is over 30 a bit of experience wouldn''t hurt. Same age as Zola when he moved to Chelsea.

Price - £5.6m - £6.9m, not cheap but not a huge transfer outlay (would imagine that it also has a bunch of clauses relating to apperances etc.) to pay a little more for Quagliarella than Hooper seems good value to me.

Injury - One nasty injury two years ago (which he missed around 6 months football). He was given a new, longer, contract by Juve on his return to fitness - they obviously weren''t to concerned by it.

Stats - Quagliarella scored one goal every 128 minutes played for Juve last season - thats one goal every 1.4 games (1153 mins played, 9 goals)

Wages - Currently on £34,000 a week at Juve (Italian clubs have to declare their wages per player). That is slightly higher than average Premier League wages. Would be out of Norwich''s budget.

Residual Value - Whether it matters or not is an interesting point. Norwich obtain value through the player''s performances, not as an asset or investment. Quagliarella will maintain value in Italy - where he is highly respected, for a couple of years yet. It is not like Italian teams are afraid of older players. If his performances help Norwich achieve longer cup runs and higher league positions that is also a benefit.