McLovin

Fabio Quagliarella

Quag played less than the other players today.One of the Juventus execs apparently said it just happened to be Fabio who played less minutes than the others, but it does seem a bit of coincidence.

I for one think this would be an amazing coup if we could pull it off. One of the most exciting we have been linked to in some time, could become a Canary legend.

I agree BarclayBoy - must admit out of the names linked, this is the one I really want to see happen.

If it''s true about the clever sales pitch that Hughton put to Quagliarella then I''m sure it''ll have given him plenty of food for thought - we may not be able to give him Champions League next season but we and other English clubs can offer not only the Premier League but also the FA Cup too - a competition that may not be quite what it was in this country, but would definitely be an additional draw for foreign players who have won everything else domestically - it is still seen as the biggest and most revered domestic cup competition in the world, and Quag might fancy a few shots at winning it. Hopefully the fresh challenges we can offer overall will appeal...

[quote user="Alex "]I agree BarclayBoy - must admit out of the names linked, this is the one I really want to see happen. If it''s true about the clever sales pitch that Hughton put to Quagliarella then I''m sure it''ll have given him plenty of food for thought - we may not be able to give him Champions League next season but we and other English clubs can offer not only the Premier League but also the FA Cup too - a competition that may not be quite what it was in this country, but would definitely be an additional draw for foreign players who have won everything else domestically - it is still seen as the biggest and most revered domestic cup competition in the world, and Quag might fancy a few shots at winning it. Hopefully the fresh challenges we can offer overall will appeal...[/quote]

So say the FA - but no one else has ever said that or particulary believed it. Quagliarella would probably struggle to name the competition, the same as most English players wouldn''t be able to name its equivalent in Italy.

If Quagliarella comes to Norwich over other teams who can offer European football, the reasons will be the promise of first team football and cash. (Not that I have any problem with that, but let''s not try and kid ourselves with talk of the FA Cup).

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Alex "]I agree BarclayBoy - must admit out of the names linked, this is the one I really want to see happen. If it''s true about the clever sales pitch that Hughton put to Quagliarella then I''m sure it''ll have given him plenty of food for thought - we may not be able to give him Champions League next season but we and other English clubs can offer not only the Premier League but also the FA Cup too - a competition that may not be quite what it was in this country, but would definitely be an additional draw for foreign players who have won everything else domestically - it is still seen as the biggest and most revered domestic cup competition in the world, and Quag might fancy a few shots at winning it. Hopefully the fresh challenges we can offer overall will appeal...[/quote]

So say the FA - but no one else has ever said that or particulary believed it. Quagliarella would probably struggle to name the competition, the same as most English players wouldn''t be able to name its equivalent in Italy.

If Quagliarella comes to Norwich over other teams who can offer European football, the reasons will be the promise of first team football and cash. (Not that I have any problem with that, but let''s not try and kid ourselves with talk of the FA Cup).

[/quote]

Copa Italia....

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

Is it really that unknown, Bethnal? I say this because I''m certain I''ve read many an interview with foreign players saying as a boy they''d grow up dreaming of playing in an FA Cup final? It''s the oldest club competiton in history as far as I''m aware and believe it''s famous worldwide but am happy to be stood corrected, I respect your depth of knowledge of the game is far greater than mine, just thought it was common knowledge it''s not only English players that dreamed of walking up the steps of Wembley and picking up an FA Cup winners medal. Either way, I''d love to see Quagliarella come to Carrow Rd this summer!.

[quote user="Alex "][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote] Is it really that unknown, Bethnal? I say this because I''m certain I''ve read many an interview with foreign players saying as a boy they''d grow up dreaming of playing in an FA Cup final? It''s the oldest club competiton in history as far as I''m aware and believe it''s famous worldwide but am happy to be stood corrected, I respect your depth of knowledge of the game is far greater than mine, just thought it was common knowledge it''s not only English players that dreamed of walking up the steps of Wembley and picking up an FA Cup winners medal. Either way, I''d love to see Quagliarella come to Carrow Rd this summer!.[/quote]

I agree that many interviews will have players saying that, but those interviews are often carried out either by the FA or by a television company who are about to show a FA Cup game - players are fed the right lines to say for the mutal benefit of the FA/TV Company/Club (clubs that cooperate with TV companies tend to get more of their games on TV).

I''m always outstanded about how little interest in football, footballers tend to have. Very few watch many games from outside their own league (unless it is things like Barcelona v Real Madrid) and many couldn''t tell you who won leagues from around Europe or cup competitions

Reading between the lines of PHGM''s posts I get the impression that Quag is uncomfortable with the idea of leaving Italy more than anything else. Given that Juve do not want to sell him to a rival Italian club once again we have a dilemma.
It is a big ask to sell Quag not only NCFC but also a life in a different culture, different language etc. 

Have a read of Aggassi''s autobiography, its very interesting. It''s a different sport I know but just because you play the sport doesn''t always mean that you love it all of the time.

I can recall interviews with various players when they retire and when asked what they are looking forward to a lot mention foods they havent had in years.

I''m not making it out to be a hard life - its not but you can perhaps understand that some players opt not to do 24/7 football.

[quote user="chicken"]Have a read of Aggassi''s autobiography, its very interesting. It''s a different sport I know but just because you play the sport doesn''t always mean that you love it all of the time.

I can recall interviews with various players when they retire and when asked what they are looking forward to a lot mention foods they havent had in years.

I''m not making it out to be a hard life - its not but you can perhaps understand that some players opt not to do 24/7 football.[/quote]
I remember Neil Adams a few years back (can''t remember if it was during his Canary Call years). When during his playing time for us.  He claimed we had a player of whom he didn''t name. Didn''t particularly like football, he did it just because he was good at it and was paid very well for it.
Sounds mental doesn''t it, but imo it can''t be that rare. It could well explain why some players are perfectly happy to get paid to bench warm and play reserve football.  And can''t be arsed to go out on loan when the opportunity arises.

I understand there are plenty of footballers who have fallen out of love with football (if they were ever in love with it at all) but their level of ignorance about the game they play, and are surrounded by everyday, can still shock me. It''s one thing not really enjoying it, it''s another thing to not know about it.

Lee Briscoe ex Sheff Wed, and scorer of this goal against Arsenal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9fKSE5ANRc (2.18)Is a friend of the family. He had to retire prematurly due to injury.At a wedding I asked him if he had any plans to move into coaching/management He said no and that he hated football. Says it was something his dad made him do when he was younger because he was good at it and he was now looking into property development.

Its strange but what Mr Mullins posted reminded me of a lad i grew up with, he had an absolutely incredible talent as a footballer but had to be pestered into playing as he found it mundane, he played on leaving school in various teams but only briefly as he just had no interest.

He was offered contracts with two north west sides but didnt bother it wasnt what he wanted to do, the strange thing was his brother did become a pro but even he would admit his brother was way more talented.

I guess for those of us who would love to do it for a living it just makes no sense......

Very few of you will know vast amounts about the history or the actualite'' of the industry you are in. The truth is that the daily fri d of training is remarkably mundane. Football can also be a rather low -brow, aggressive, unfriendly environment where talent, intelligence or other interests are resented. If you are younger , those in possession will not necessarily welcome or help you, sometimes the opposite,and the luxury of riches is (still) very much in the top couple of leagues. In Italy the 3rd division is an (almost) irrelevance.

In truth, while I hope he would be a great signing, part of me just wants another signing which makes fans of other teams say "How did NORWICH get HIM?"

This guy is sheer class, would be the biggest signing in our history!

If he comes here, of course

Wow and I thought the 8.5million on a 30 year old thread had caused meltdown! I look forward to full blown hysteria should that figure be true!

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]The Juventus guy reckons we bid £10million[/quote]

If he reckons that he reckons wrong.