McLovin

Fabio Quagliarella

Whilst Quagliarella was impressed by Hughton''s visit, he has concerns about his ability to adapt in England to the life and the football. Juventus are recycling players as they traditionally do and have been surprised by Norwich''s willingness to do business. They are happy to sanction a deal and would like the money in. Quagliarella would ideally like a paid loan to test the water, assess England and perhaps even then move to a more prestigious team. There has been a change in the last couple of days as Napoli have shown an interest. Quagliarella is from Napoli and this kind of prodigal returning son story is much loved. Benitez is a fan of highly technical players and is believed to have liked Quagliarella for some time. They have received an enormous sum for Cavani and other Italian clubs are sniffing around for some of it. Quagliarella agent is doing what he should do and quietly hunting out every conceivable option, stalling any initial suitors including Norwich. Quagliarella is a highly gifted footballer who in coaching terms would be ideally suited to our deep possession , defensively sound (dare I say Italian?) game whereby spaces are locked and a lack of forward pace and expansiveness is traded for solidity and low risk. Quagliarella would be a round peg in a round hole for right now, in that we could continue to be solid and low risk, progres the ball carefully to c35m from goal, but then have two genuinely dangerous options of RVW in behind and Quagliarella dropping deepto receive, but genuinely able to score from such a position with either foot from distance, or slide balls between CB and FB, giving opposition teams a genuine problem, whilst retaining a low risk defensive shape. Very effective. It should also be noted by those questioning the value if this player, that Juve fans would desperately not want him to go to another club and mention the likes of Milan as somewhere they would not like him to end up. We have impressed both club, player, agent and the market with our ambition .

Phgm I think you hit the nail on the head for me that this a player that could fit into that position we are looking for. I love the ambition and confidence to approach in a professional manner. We should not be detracted from such signings as we obviously are routing out quality and impressing.

Lets see what happens, it is a little slow with us in the USA but I also believe we are doing a lot of ground work so far we have been incredibly successful and I feel we will add some genuine quality to add to rvw, that position in the hole and possibly out wide.

It does seem some are far too ready to jump on the ''player turned us down'' thing, when it appears to be far from the case; sometimes things take a little time. It is interesting to see the much fuller context in phgm''s post.

PHGM - that is a really good insight, thank you. Are you based in Italy? Do you have contacts, as that is quite a detailed post. Is this is what is being published through Italian media?

There are a few which are dragging on like this, only to be expected when we coveting players of this quality, with little novel to offer them (and by this I mean no European football, no big stadium, no big reputation, no big bucks - before anyone gets sore)

I really wonder how many of these may well complete ultimately. Toivonen seems dead, but Alderweireld and Quagliarella keep rumbling on. Will be very interesting to see in a few weeks time. Think both players are probably holding out for a bigger club, but that may not materialise, and in a few weeks we may remain the best offer on the table.

I dont think we should be upset about that or sore the player didnt immediately jump at the chance. We are going to have to be as patient and persuasive as possible in order to court this type of quality. It may ultimately pay off - and we should be excited if any of these players eventually come. We shouldnt get upset that they took their time.

Exciting transfer window!

I think its clear whilst some moves are dragging. As of yet the big money top club moves havent kicked off, well at least in the premier league.

One move that has been tooted is Agger to one of the big Spanish teams. If that happens Toby could be the replacement hence the interest but no swoop yet. You can''t blame a player for being patient.

Its more than likely the same for other players who want to see the lay of the land before comitting. We are not the only club experiencing this either.

Subjunctive to previous:

Juve have circulated a list of players that they are prepared to sell to a number of key agents in Italy. The list includes Quagliarella. As stated previously there is a desire not to sell Quagliarella to (subjective) direct rival and some directorial contact has taken place with Roma who have bought early and well. Roma have Quagliarella ascacsencond option as a back up to a deal for a Uruguayan striker (Bueno) which should go through. Quagliarella will leave Juve in this window. The club are very happy with "the Norwich solution" and Playing in England is now a la moda in Italy for top stars and confers status. Impressing others drives many an Italian decision...

There are real and valid concerns though - if Fabio is worried about his ability to adapt to life in England than so am I. There''s no point spending several million on a player who wants to move home after a couple months. I''m glad he won''t be making the decision to come lightly if he does come.

Perfection is not on offer. Quagliarella has enormous talent and technical ability, beyond anything we could previously have aspired to. He would fit our playing methodology (evolving) perfectly. An ideal bridge between what it has been and what we''d like it to be. Quagliarella is a southern Italian and very Italian, moving country would be a challenge for him. This is indeed the counterpoint and the risk on our side. His suitability for our number 10 role and the sheer dramatic effect of signing such a player (he is well respected right across European leagues and in coaching circles) would offset this risk ( but not eliminate it naturally). His talents and effectiveness will dwindle less with age less than most, he may even improve as an idolised playmaker of a team (hughton''s sales pitch to him in Italy)

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]Perfection is not on offer. Quagliarella has enormous talent and technical ability, beyond anything we could previously have aspired to. He would fit our playing methodology (evolving) perfectly. An ideal bridge between what it has been and what we''d like it to be. Quagliarella is a southern Italian and very Italian, moving country would be a challenge for him. This is indeed the counterpoint and the risk on our side. His suitability for our number 10 role and the sheer dramatic effect of signing such a player (he is well respected right across European leagues and in coaching circles) would offset this risk ( but not eliminate it naturally). His talents and effectiveness will dwindle less with age less than most, he may even improve as an idolised playmaker of a team (hughton''s sales pitch to him in Italy)[/quote]Take that as a '' yes '' then.....[:D]

Wow, it is amazing that this thread has come on so well with some really good, in depth knowledge - be it on point or not. Amazing what sticking with a thread can do hey?

Thank you for all the input on this, has got me excited about the potential move now.

I think we will get our man, more chanc of this then hopper.. Especially if Hughton has been out there to talk to him, let McNally and the team work the magic!

I might be more confident of that magic being worked if they weren''t all out in the USA at present!

[quote user="birchfest"]I think we will get our man, more chanc of this then hopper.. Especially if Hughton has been out there to talk to him, let McNally and the team work the magic![/quote]

Space or Dennis?

He is in their squad, they played two games with two different teams, he captained one of them.

Make of that as you will

[quote user="SYG"]He is in their squad, they played two games with two different teams, he captained one of them.

Make of that as you will[/quote]A final goodbye

[quote user="SYG"]He is in their squad, they played two games with two different teams, he captained one of them.

Make of that as you will[/quote]Okay note to self Twitter ain''t so reliable then.

Interesting comment and reactions to Quagliarella captaining one of the teams, here:

https://twitter.com/juventus_fc_fan/status/359785225099821056