McLovin

Fabio Quagliarella

I think all we will do is show him the place, tell him what we''re trying to build and what wage we can offer him and hope he thinks it''s more exciting than sitting on the bench in Italy.  He has the chance to become a cult hero here but I guess that doesn''t mean anything if you''ve never heard of the club.

Quick maths on internet rumours about his wages makes him roughly on £35k a week. Affordable?

There is no throwing away money here. This is a class act, assured with the ball at his feet and no question would be a player that many around the league would fear.

Those are the players we are looking at not the elite players that the top 5 or 6 look at but the players that can terrorise a team in mid table and become headline writers. Fabio is a technically gifted player who we have not had since mark robins. He and rvw would be a strike force that is a million miles away from our strike force in the last two years.

This is why the summer is so good, you can look at options of improvement and improvement is not the right word for an acquisition like canio or the players we have brought in it is raising us to new levels.

He''s a really gifted player but has just been unlucky with injuries and other class players being ahead of him.

Quite right.How dare we spend some of our 60 million this season on getting a world class player into a club playing in the top division in Europe.Some of you need to wake up.  We are at the top table now and unless you invest, sensibly as we seem to be, then you end up in the Championship.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I have to ask whether it is worth City throwing away their sensible wage structure for Fabio Quagliarella? The guy must be on at least £50,000 at Juve.[/quote]

wages in italy are not so high, and quag was rumoured to be on high 30s pw - not much more than holt and certainly less than holt and say jackson or martin combined...

exciting times, and we still have two loan spaces to fill yet, which may also open the door to some precocious talent to give a further alternative

we are being linked with a player of considerable international pedigree who has won some of the highest honors in the game... and some of the fans are worried about us "upsetting the flow" "Spending our wage structure" and "bringing in too many players"Little Norwich mentality at its finest... i ask all of those fans would you be happy playing Exeter, Brentford, or even Ipswich town ever again? or is taking 6 points of of the last 9 against Manchester United more of your thing?

Loads of rumours flying around we have agrees a £6m fee and a 40k a week deal with them and the player!! Would be awesome if true.

[quote user="Mervmeister"]Loads of rumours flying around we have agrees a £6m fee and a 40k a week deal with them and the player!! Would be awesome if true.[/quote]

I think we should simply bask in the warm glow of being linked with such a quality player. After having been dismissed as a Premiership force the last two seasons, the fact that the media see this as plausible is a nice shift in attitude towards our club. I suspect we are being used to flush out a bid from a bigger club, but its nice to rub shoulders with some of these names.

I was assuming this rumour would die, yet it still has legs it seems.

My thoughts are that this does not add up as a decent transfer. £7.5mill for a 30 year old supersub who has spent his entire career in the Italian Leagues. If he was mid twenties and we could get him for that money and on the same wage as RVW then fine. But he isn''t, he''s going to want a 3-4 year contract and will have no resale value. In four years time would we really want a 34 year old who''s always struggled to score a lot of goals draining our cash?

It seems there is much better value out there. This guy is not who we need in the second striker berth.

[quote user="Jonzey"]I was assuming this rumour would die, yet it still has legs it seems.

My thoughts are that this does not add up as a decent transfer. £7.5mill for a 30 year old supersub who has spent his entire career in the Italian Leagues. If he was mid twenties and we could get him for that money and on the same wage as RVW then fine. But he isn''t, he''s going to want a 3-4 year contract and will have no resale value. In four years time would we really want a 34 year old who''s always struggled to score a lot of goals draining our cash?

It seems there is much better value out there. This guy is not who we need in the second striker berth.[/quote]you assume he would come in as 2nd striker... he''s about 10 times the player of RVW.... there might just be a different player in the 2nd striker role..

The most being quoted at the moment is £6million that I can find.

And people need to really stop banging on about resale value. Perhaps we want him because in reality he won''t be converted by other teams once he has signed? We don wan''t to try and retain some players.

Plus who cares. Would you turn down a chance to have a really good player who has the ability to score goals just because we wouldn''t be able to sell him for a profit in three years time?

What happens if his goals manage to get us into the Europa League? I''d say that he''d have been worth £6million then.

Is he more of a gamble - not really, he''s experienced, he''ll come with an understanding of the game. Perhaps even a desire to achieve something in a league that isn''t in Italy.

But really, all of this resale talk is really getting on my nerves. It''s like people want our players to leave . . . .

Exactly, this IS the sort of player we need, we''ve bought potential in Ricky and Redmond, we also need players of decent quality for our use, not just to develop and sell.

A more impressive signing than hooper would be IMO

30 isn''t over the hill look at teddy sheringham and Kevin Phillips or even another Italian pirlo for examples

Chicken, it''s not just the resale value, that''s a small factor. My main issue is his goal scoring record. It''s not great. And is he going to be happy to come to a much smaller club than Juventus and still come off the bench most weeks?

No, even £6mill is way too much. £3-4 mill sounds about right for a supersub who has never played outside his own country. Anything more and you should be looking for a proper goal scorer, a younger player, or proven quality in your league. Otherwise it''s way too much of a gamble.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]One goal to change a scoreline on the last day of the season to push you up the table can be worth millions.[/quote]

Indeed, wasnt Howson''s goal against Man City supposed to be worth about 3 million?

If this hyappens I''d wheel naked around Carrow Road...............thats how sure I am it won''t![;)]

[quote user="Jonzey"]Chicken, it''s not just the resale value, that''s a small factor. My main issue is his goal scoring record. It''s not great. And is he going to be happy to come to a much smaller club than Juventus and still come off the bench most weeks?

No, even £6mill is way too much. £3-4 mill sounds about right for a supersub who has never played outside his own country. Anything more and you should be looking for a proper goal scorer, a younger player, or proven quality in your league. Otherwise it''s way too much of a gamble.[/quote]
Jonzey, do you know who this guy is, or are you just going off his gaolscoring stats? The man is pure class, to even been linked with this calibre of player is great for the club.
Why on earth do you think he will be a sub. If he joins then Wes is going to struggle to get in the team. Play him in the hole and we now have a goalscoring threat in that position, something Wes does not offer.
Where''s the gamble in buying a world class player who has plenty of experience and played against the best teams in the world in the best competitions? So he has no resale value, if his goals keep us in the league then his fee is paid back. Do you thank Utd were thinking about Van Persie''s future value when they bought him for £18M, or whatever it was

RVW 54 in 119 since 2009.

Quagmire 33 in 101 since 2009.

That gives Ricky almost 1 in 2 and Quagmire almost 1 in 3. No where near.

Ricky is on his way up, Quagmire is on his way down. There''s no comparison. Sorry but if we''re paying our second biggest transfer fee I''d want a much better option than the Italian supersub.

Jonzey, his goalscoring record is consistently about 1 in 3 for all 4 clubs he''s been at (Sampdoria, Udinese, Napoli, Juventus). For Juve, quite a few appearances seem to have been off the bench, so his record may be even better than that.

The main question for me is that, though 30 years old, he has never played outside Italy. There must be a higher risk of him not settling, especially as we have no Italians at the club (well, other than Joe Ferrari?).

25 caps for Italy suggest that he''s no slouch. You don''t play at a team like Juventus upfront for a few seasons if you''re average. He looks quality to me and I don''t see it as a gamble seeing we only have 2 strikers right now.

quote user Jonzey "In four years time would we really want a 34 year old who''s always struggled to score a lot of goals draining our cash?"

I almost chocked on my coffee reading this. This is a guy who has consistently scored 1 goal in every 3 games from a support striker role, which is impressive.

For those choking over the transfer fee, lets put this into context. If we could actually pull this off, and pay the reputed £6m, do we not get an extra £1m per place in the Premier League?

Say for example, we enter the season with Hoolahan or Howson playing the support striker role, and they struggle to score more than 7 goals between them for the entire season, which is quite possible. We finish 11th again.

Or we enter the season with Quagliarella as our support striker. He scores his usual 1 in 3 goals (assuming he adapts to the PL), and scores 12 goals. Not to mention that this is his natural position, so he sets up numerous assists for RVW. His overall contribution helps us climb to 8th in the table, gaining us an extra £3m in prize money.

He repeats his form the following season, effectively paying off his £6m transfer fee.

The point is, he is class and you pay premium for that even at the age of 30. He could be a match winner and pay off his fee within 2-3 seasons.

The only real risk I foresee is whether he can adapt to the pace of the PL....

He is an international goal scorer, simple as.

As I''ve said this is the next level of player we need to look at I don''t understand the negativity about this.

All transfers are a risk, but to me well worth taking, if hoot thinks he''s worth it, it''s good enough from me.

The club wouldn''t offer a finacial package to a player we couldn''t afford so where''s the problem

Goal scoring record?...played in Italy all his career...come on, make the link. What do we know about Serie A - that its notorious for down the years?!

(Due in no small part to that league''s general technical/tactical ability)

I''ve been watching Serie A for more or less 20 years now, and believe me, this guy is a huge talent. I have no doubt he can cut it in the premier league.

If we do sign him, I feel it''s a bigger coup than RVW.

He''s a perfect number 10