Sign in to follow this  
Nicko

This is unlikely but nice to think about...

Thomas Vermaelen. Not wanted by Arsenal. Available for around 5m. Do you think think the club is at a stage where we could attract a player like this?

£5m? Is that it? I reckon we could afford him, even if he did want £60k but he''s a player that should be a regular in the champions league. Where have you read about his £5m price tag?

It was on the radio and I''ve been reading up on the Arsenal forums. I think he would take a small wage cut for first team football? Very versatile!

Alot of Arsenal fans think Mertesacker and Koscielny are their best pairing and that vermaelen isnt good enough!

[quote user="Nicko"]Thomas Vermaelen.  Do you think think the club is at a stage where we could attract a player like this?[/quote]

I doubt it these days.  With so many clubs involved in either Champions or Europa Leagues if his agent has anything about him he should be able to get him a better deal than we can offer, though not necessarily in the UK.

Hope I''m wrong though.

Vermaelen is one of the highest earners at Arsenal and contracted until 2015, but his performances over the last 6 - 8 months have been pretty poor and Wenger is set to spend big this summer, including bringing in a couple of new defenders. This will push him down the pecking order a little further (he''s currently 3rd choice) - Arsenal would rather not have their 4th choice defender on one of the most expensive deals at the club so a transfer will be possible. The quoted price of £5m is probably a bit low, but I think a club outside of the Premier League might be able to pick him up for around that (this represents that anyone signing him would have to cover his wages).

At 27 Vermaelen won''t be looking to make a step-down to a smaller club in the Premier League and I imagine he will either move to a team in Germany or Italy - there has been a rumour linking him with Napoli.

He is a superb player, its merely a case that his form has been **** over the last 6 months or so.He hasnt stopped being a top player however and given that he is 27 he could easily have another 5/6 years in the top leagues. For that reason I think he is out of our league, not price wise but I think he has far too many options available to him. How about Kolo Toure if we want an experienced centr half?

[quote user="coachkemp"]He is a superb player, its merely a case that his form has been **** over the last 6 months or so.He hasnt stopped being a top player however and given that he is 27 he could easily have another 5/6 years in the top leagues. For that reason I think he is out of our league, not price wise but I think he has far too many options available to him. How about Kolo Toure if we want an experienced centr half?[/quote]
I''m also a superb player, unfortunately my form has been **** for the last 22 years or so! I''m not convinced he''s champions league quality to be honest, but would certainly be superb for us. Very very unlikely to happen though, for the reasons above. 
Kolo Toure linked with Liverpool as Carragher''s replacement, will be on extremely high wages, also fairly overrated in my opinion.

Wouldn''t want to come here, and would want too much in wages.

I also doubt he''ll move for £5million, they''ll want more than that

Reading through this forum is so cringeworthy.1. He would not come to us.2. Anyone who thinks he might, are totally deluded.3. People saying ''I wouldnt want him here''........Belgian international and vice captain, Arsenal Club captain etc etc, you obviously dont understand football.We are Norwich City, In little ol Norfolk, not some big rich powerhouse in London / Manchester / BrumGet real people

[quote user="Aggy"]

I''m also a superb player, unfortunately my form has been **** for the last 22 years or so! [/quote]

Hello Titus...