Sign in to follow this  
......and Smith must score.

Twitter Ye Not. ( O/T sort of )

This whole Twitter thing is hilarious if only for the stupidity of some people using it who should know better.OK, footballers and air-head celebrities messing up you might expect but when it comes to trainee accountants and the OH of the Speaker of The House of Commons making themselves look complete pillocks it''s pretty ridiculous. Quite how Emma Way thought she could brag about knocking a Norfolk cyclist over and then not expect to have to do the rounds grovelling on local TV and radio stations I''ve no idea. Even accompanied by a solicitor she still doesn''t seem to think it matters and is only trying to save her own skin. Problem there is she has alleged previous form over motoring offences so she''s some hole to dig herself out of on that one.Likewise the suposedly intelligent Sally Bercow who the High Court has today decided did libel Lord McAlpine over sex abuse allegations. She could have settled the matter earlier but now faces paying out even more substantial damages. Maybe I''m missing something here but shouldn''t people like this not be on Twitter in the first place ?

Thought the young lady in question did herself no favours on Look East last night, clearly coached by her brief (I looked in my rear view and assessed the situation). I think what your examples show is that it is very important to think before you tweet, FB etc.......

I think people are so use to Facebook - which is a semi-secure environment (you have a lot more control over who sees what you post), they forget that Twitter is open to everyone and anything you tweet, even those things meant as a conversation, are published to potentially millions of people.

Also, some people are just stupid and don''t have that barrier between their brain and their mouth - this isn''t so bad in a conversation, but deadly on Twitter.

I would add that this isn''t a new thing due to the digital age - how many politicians or people in the public eye have said stupid things whilst on the TV or radio, and they knew it was being broadcast to 1,000s of people at the time.

The difference is that now all of us can say things that are broadcast to anyone who wants to read them.  Like this forum for example.  Go back 20 years and unless you were famous, you couldn''t put anything in the public domain.  Now we all can, and do.

And the thing about twitter is that it''s meant to be instant so people do tend to tweet whatever comes into their heads without engaging brain.

It and the Sally Bercow thing are a reminder that the same rules about defamation apply to everything we put out in public.

Alright the driver in question did make a stupid tweet that she must regret doing now.  But it was one remark in the heat of the moment, so personally I''d cut her some slack - it shouldn''t ruin her life.

Cut her some slack ICF? You must be joking

I would say that the biggest regret she had was (knowingly) knocking someone off their bike and sodding off without checking how they were, not pressing the ''Send'' button for her tweet

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

Thought the young lady in question did herself no favours on Look East last night, clearly coached by her brief (I looked in my rear view and assessed the situation). I think what your examples show is that it is very important to think before you tweet, FB etc.......

[/quote]I noticed that.  Before speaking to the solicitor it was "definitely knocked a cyclist off his bike earlier", after finding out that she could be convicted of diving without due care and attention, failure to stop and failure to report an accident - which would likely result in a lengthy ban - she speaks to a solicitor and it becomes "I stopped the car, looked in the rear view mirror and assessed the situation...I did not see the cyclist fall off his bike"

I also like the summary on this page... http://www.thegrindstone.com/2013/05/23/work-life-balance/emma-way-bicyclist-fired/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+b5media%2FTheGrindstone+%28The+Grindstone%29 "The lesson here is not “watch what you tweet,” although, obviously, do

that. The lesson is “don’t hit cyclists with your car, and if you do,

stop and help like a human being.”"

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

Alright the driver in question did make a stupid tweet that she must regret doing now.  But it was one remark in the heat of the moment, so personally I''d cut her some slack - it shouldn''t ruin her life.

[/quote]

It shouldn''t be the tweet that she should regret doing. It should be the hit and run the stupid b!tch!

The arrogance of her got me, some of these kids nowadays are spoilt and think their untouchable, this young lady is no exception

She could have killed that cyclist, she wouldn''t have known and she still would have bragged about it on twitter!

Daddy''s paid for her solicitor so she''ll probably just get off with a ban, I was hoping she would be tweeting at her majesty''s pleasure but I doubt that will happen

"The tweet and the incident are completely different, it doesn''t relate to the accident," she said.

What????

''Definitely just knocked a cyclist off his bike...''

Smilie users beware, the libel case rested upon the inferences drawn from the innocent smilie, the question itself was inoffensive as demonstrated albeit inadvertantly by Judge Tugendhat himself during these proceedings to much laughter, when he himself asked "Why should someone living in Italy in obscurity for 15 years, why should he be trending?" [:|]

Just seen the look east interview, did her brief really say ''poor old emma'' ???!!!

The girl deserves everything she gets