Sign in to follow this  
pete

Villa wil struggle again

Teams prenially down the bottom eventually go a la Wigan.  This season Villa at bottom for almost all season in and out of bottom three and season before that finished dangerously close to the drop.

But they have Lambert who has so impressed the playing staff that Weimann has not signed new contract and Benteke wants to enhance his career prospects, never mind his agent saying he was misquoted.  If Spurs come calling with £20m he will go.  Will Randy Lerner give it all to Lambert to reinvest seems unlikely, need to find another gem then eh Paul.  Villa still stuck with that leaky defence.

So another season where Villa will struggle.  What a pity!  

Personally I care, not because of Lambert, but because it''s a team that will hopefully finish below us next season! That and having spent 3 years living in the Midlands I would love to see Villa get relegated!

I care but only in the same way that I can see Southampton have ''second season syndrom'', West Ham struggling without Carrol, Stoke struggling without Pulis, Newcastle just being Newcastle and Sunderland imploding under Di Canio.All sums in the relegation equation without even taking the newly promoted into account!

Villa are the one sides amongst this season''s strugglers who I feel will do better next season. We were not strugglers, just teasers [:)]

They won''t pull up any trees probably, but showed enough good intent and good play coming forward during the last part of the season to suggest that Lambert is building something useful there. Although far from a one man team, the loss of Benteke might cause a step backwards, but the funds will be available to find a useful replacement as well as a couple of well-chosen defenders.

In the end, I think Paul Lambert did well there and the signs are fairly good, although I did spend most of the time keen to see them relegated.

They have a lot of striking power. They have Benteke, leading PL scorer this year and Weimann, let alone Aggy. If the first two are retained, and there is some doubt about this at the moment, then with a young rear-guard rapidly improving they will still be a force. Even if Benteke and Weimann depart, sufficient funds should be received to acquire some good players.

An unknown is how far Villa''s and Lambert''s reputations have been battered by their fading this year. Does history pull players, or does it take money to attract?

I wouldn''t write them off just yet!