Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Bone - Superstar

Scottish Canaries Team

Seeing the players that we hyave called up for Scotland (Snodgrass, Martin & Whittaker) got me thinking about the great Jocks that have played for us over the years.

For a bit of fun, I''ve picked my all time (since early 70''s), team of Scottish Canaries - have I missed anyone and what would yours be?

In a 4 4 2 formation with a Management team of Paul Lambert and Bruce Rioch:

Bryan Gunn

Steven Whittaker

Malky Mackay

Duncan Forbes

Alan Black

Robert Snodgrass

Peter Grant

Asa Hartford

Kenny Foggo

Robert Fleck

Ted MacDougall

Subs:

Paul Gallagher

Billy Steele

Jimmy Bone

Billy Kellock

Jim Blair

I don''t really remember Jim Oliver as a player either, but he was our next door neighbour after his playing days and when I was a little ''un. My old boy, an ardent Canary fan, considered it a major feather in his cap when Jim moved next door.

I need a bit of time to think about the team, although yours seems to be pretty right.

Shame you didnt go back a little future two of my all time favourite jocks were hugh curran and tommy bryceland  also jimmy bone what a legend why cant we find people like this today.

You miss Martin out of the team altogether and play Whittaker ahead of him who has played a handful of games and one season?

[quote user="chicken"]You miss Martin out of the team altogether and play Whittaker ahead of him who has played a handful of games and one season?[/quote]

He did, but understandable as Martin is actually English, born in Brighton. His Scottish connection must be one of these parental things.

Basically RM doesn''t qualify for this "team." He''s not a Jock.

[quote user="chicken"]You miss Martin out of the team altogether and play Whittaker ahead of him who has played a handful of games and one season?[/quote]

Yes, that does seem strange, especially as the OP does mention Martin in his first sentence. However, does Martin actually count as a ''jock'', as he was born and bred in Brighton? I think all of the players I recognise in the team listed were properly scots, at least from their accents!

I couldn''t bring myself to think of Russell Martin as Scottish, even though he plays for them!

As English as a stick of Brighton rock.

Also, it''s argable whether he would have got in ahead of Whittaker any way.

Not the most technically talented of players but old three lungs, Gary Holt, should get into the second eleven.

Willie Young would certainly liven things up a bit wouldn''t he!

How could I forget old three lungs - he would have to be in there, possibly in place of Peter Grant, Lapps probably on the bench, he''s used to being there and wouldn''t feel out of place.

Great thread!![Y]

Tommy Bryceland is a must before Grant for me and maybe even Gary Holt in front of Asa Hartford but that could be sentiment. But then Foggo and Snodgrass are musts except I want to play Curran, Bone MacDougall AND Fleck!! How do you only select 2 from those 4??? Alan Black.. hmmmmm.. what a legend for putting last minute free kicks straight out of play. The master of the aimless hoof! He''s a bit of a folk hero but could he keep the cultured KOS out of the side?!