Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Mike Phelan

Looks like Mike Phelan has been asked to0 leave united along with their GK coach as the Moyes broom starts sweeping.Some were keen for him to come here after lambert left.I''m guessing you don''t really get much of an input on running things as fergie''s number 2. Do you think he will try and make the big step up, or play it safe as another #2?

At 50, he''s still got plenty of time ahead to get into management if he wishes. He''s probably learnt an awful lot in his time under Fergie!

It''s a difficult one, sometimes people are just born to be number #2s, look at Brian Clough and Peter Taylor. Like you said, probably didn''t have a giant say in things under Fergie, but then we aren''t to know are we.

absolute no brainer to try and get him back to carrow road, no reason not to try it, would be a massive coupyears of experience at the top as understudy to one of the greatest of all timewell worth a punt

[quote user="iron_stan"]absolute no brainer to try and get him back to carrow road, no reason not to try it, would be a massive coup

years of experience at the top as understudy to one of the greatest of all time

well worth a punt
[/quote]

In what role? My brains are switched off today.

[quote user="iron_stan"]absolute no brainer to try and get him back to carrow road, no reason not to try it, would be a massive coup

years of experience at the top as understudy to one of the greatest of all time

well worth a punt
[/quote]

Just great so let''s sack Hughton and replace him with someone who is ''worth a punt''. Words fail me. [:''(]

It depends on so many issues; just because someone was close to Sir Alex it doesn''t automatically follow he would be able to replicate anything remotely similar. Ask Bryan Gunn!

Mind you, Steve Clarke did pretty well stepping up from #2 to become a successful Prem Manager!

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

It depends on so many issues; just because someone was close to Sir Alex it doesn''t automatically follow he would be able to replicate anything remotely similar. Ask Bryan Gunn!

Mind you, Steve Clarke did pretty well stepping up from #2 to become a successful Prem Manager!

[/quote]True, but for every Steve Clarke there''s a Steve McLaren - or even a Peter Grant...

The same Steve Mclaren who took Middlesborough to a league cup win, UEFA cup final Won the dutch league with Twente for there first time in 50 years and managed England yeah right failure he was..i wish i''d done half as well in football management! still time i suppose ha

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[/quote]I''ll wait until next season before I class Clarke as ''successful''.He did have a free scoring goal machine on loan from Chelsea as a major plus point and I don''t think he will be available to them next season.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Just great so let''s sack Hughton and replace him with someone who is ''worth a punt''. Words fail me. [:''(]

[/quote]

words clearly do fail you

where does it say replace hughton ?

pillock

I think it''s more to do with how long they remain a number two. Mourinho was no2 to Bobby Robson, and AVB was no2 to Mourinho. Their ambition, character and confidence in themselves meant that they did not remain long in those positions. Phelan has been too long a no2 IMO.