Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

When do clubs start looking at transfers?

Granted scouting is a continual process, and the transfer window doesnt open until July 1st, but when do people think clubs start thinking about targets?

Staff have to have a holiday, which I imagine most of them are on now, so guessing most people are happy to have a real break and want to put transfers on the back burner in general. However, two weeks later, feeling refreshed?

To me it would seem logical that transfers and squad rebuilding would begin to be foremost in the mind after holidays, so Im guessing that would be in about a week?

Obviously some players have been released already and their agents will be ringing around but in terms of players you would pay money for?

Im guessing Hughton and co have a list of targets already, with probably some new names to appear in the coming months, but I think in terms of going out and pursuing them that this wouldnt begin to happen for another week?

Many clubs are managerless at the moment so could also make recruitment more difficult.

Does anyone have any insight into the timetables clubs have for looking at these sorts of things other than my musings? Or are managers on the phone the second the season is over?

Well Hughton tried to sign Wolfswinkel when he was manager of Newcastle...So he''s clearly been keeping an eye on him for yearsIt''s clearly a continuous process.There isn''t a day where teams suddenly go... right guys lets go shoppingThis isn''t Tesco.

No, but theres a point at which window shopping becomes actual shopping. When admiring a girl across the floor of a disco becomes approaching her and asking her out. We may have been looking lustfully at other players for months or years. My question was really, at what point do clubs decide to act on this and make a move?

the only sensible answer is "it depends". There are so many factors in when a player might become available, or a club might decide to put in a formal bid.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Granted scouting is a continual process, and the transfer window doesnt open until July 1st, but when do people think clubs start thinking about targets?[/quote]It''s like any business.  You never stop looking for competitive advantage.

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"][quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Granted scouting is a continual process, and the transfer window doesnt open until July 1st, but when do people think clubs start thinking about targets?[/quote]It''s like any business.  You never stop looking for competitive advantage.[/quote]This

I expect Mcnally to be on the case 24/7

In theory you can sign a player whenever you like they just can''t join the club until the transfer window opens.

Pre-contracts are signed between clubs and players all the time.

They apparently are working on the next transfer window the moment the previous one ends, scouting and coming up with a list of names to replace or fill gaps. Constantly on going... Id imagine this will come together with an updated list to McNally at  the end of season/next season brief of who we Chris wants. That said, I dont think we have a set list and go ''them and no one else'', like others have said if a player was to come onto the market or we were to lose a player then I think we would be flexable enough to act on impulse too.

I believe the club usually waits to see who people would like them to sign by checking messageboards like this one. Then, they''ll compile a list based on who people like when they play FIFA and Football Manager, and then go out and try and get them.Also, they check Twitter to see who we''ve been linked to by the many "player agents" on there with inside information.