Sign in to follow this  
SYG

Grant Holt going down under...

That''s the latest rumour...

http://www.camdencourier.com.au/story/1535574/heart-chase-another-scorer/?cs=12

Considering he''s just moved his family to Cumbria for educational and stability reasons, I think we can quash this one!

His family might be more tempted by moving to Australia though. Holt is reaching his "Huckerby moment" in his career with City. A true legend who might still have a lot to offer, but whose role/place in the pecking order is becoming uncertain. I actually would be happier to see him having fun in a place like the A-League or the SPL than being reduced to cameos as third choice. If he leaves I wish him best, and hope he''ll gets the send-off he truly deserves.

I could see Holt accepting an offer from down under if it arrived. The US gave Huckerby a great period at them end of his career with us, and I think that Holt would gain in the same way.

He was never blessed with pace, and RvW is likely to limit his chances and it seems likely that we shall try to sign another striker, to judge from our alleged interest in Weimann. Holt never had great pace, and may have slowed a little. His body takes a battering in some games as opposing centre backs attack him. I could see him enjoying a year or two out there with less battery at the end of his career, and presumably well paid.

This is a surprise, but as a press report rather than a twitter then there might be some basis in it. I very much doubt it though and would be no less surprised had it said he was going to the Moon to play. Apparently, they pay more there too.

I had envisaged one more season for GH at Carrow Road with a less predominant role on the pitch and then a ''soft'' sale to a lower northern club. Possibly even Carlisle.  

If there was any truth in this I would have thought that it is something that would have been arranged a good time ago. Therefore I would also think that it would have been stage managed so to speak so that the fans were aware and he got given the send off (no pun intended) he deserved at the westbrom game.

If he is going then I wish him all the best of luck, he has been immense for us.

[quote user="Wiz"]Pure fantasy I reckon.[/quote]

Agreed

Well, if he does go, best of luck to him and thanks for some wonderful memories.[Y]

i can''t see this happening unless he is willing to take the whole family with him. and that seems unlikely from his actions to safeguard his kids schooling.

Do these Australian teams have much money? How much would they pay for him, surely anything less than £3M is relatively worthless to us.
 I would be very surprised if they have made an approach for him without any indication from the player/his agent that he would be up for a move to the other side of the world. Holt seems like a very random purchase for an Australian team, i expect there is interest from both parties here. 
Holt has made it fairly obvious this season that he doesn''t see his career at Norwich for much longer, if this brings in most of the cash for a deal for someone like Hooper, then I will be pleased.

[quote user="priceyrice"]Do these Australian teams have much money? How much would they pay for him, surely anything less than £3M is relatively worthless to us.

I would be very surprised if they have made an approach for him without any indication from the player/his agent that he would be up for a move to the other side of the world. Holt seems like a very random purchase for an Australian team, i expect there is interest from both parties here. 

Holt has made it fairly obvious this season that he doesn''t see his career at Norwich for much longer, if this brings in most of the cash for a deal for someone like Hooper, then I will be pleased.

[/quote]

Wouldn''t be surprised if the club let him go on a free transfer - his contract is probably worth £2m - £3m so just him leaving would be worth that.

Also basic supply and demand - who is realistically going to be interested in Grant Holt? Few Champ teams could afford his wages and Celtic won''t sign a 32 year old - I feel for Grant his choices will probably be Australia, America or Norwich.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Wouldn''t be surprised if the club let him go on a free transfer - his contract is probably worth £2m - £3m so just him leaving would be worth that.

Also basic supply and demand - who is realistically going to be interested in Grant Holt? Few Champ teams could afford his wages and Celtic won''t sign a 32 year old - I feel for Grant his choices will probably be Australia, America or Norwich.[/quote]

It does beg the question as to whether or not the supposed 4m+ offer from West Ham last summer would have been worth taking in hindsight doesn''t it?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Wouldn''t be surprised if the club let him go on a free transfer - his contract is probably worth £2m - £3m so just him leaving would be worth that.

Also basic supply and demand - who is realistically going to be interested in Grant Holt? Few Champ teams could afford his wages and Celtic won''t sign a 32 year old - I feel for Grant his choices will probably be Australia, America or Norwich.[/quote]

It does beg the question as to whether or not the supposed 4m+ offer from West Ham last summer would have been worth taking in hindsight doesn''t it?

[/quote]

I''m not sure that was ever a real offer or not - but it would have been foolish to sell him without a replacement lined up, especially given how Norwich struggled to buy a striker all season until March.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Wouldn''t be surprised if the club let him go on a free transfer - his contract is probably worth £2m - £3m so just him leaving would be worth that.

[/quote]Was there ever any actual evidence of this supposed 4m+ offer from West Ham? Was it any more credible than any of the other fanciful rumours that fly around during ''silly season''?Even if it were true, to my mind Grant played a vital role in keeping us in the PL for next season. I would hate to be sitting here now ''begging the question in hindsight'' as to whether that 4m+ had been worth taking because his replacement actually failed to help us achieve that.

Absolute pie in the sky in my opinion...

Do we want to sell? Probably not.   Would we take a big fee for him? Probably.   Are we going to get one from an Australian A-League team? No.  Does Holt want to leave? Maybe.  Does he want to uproot his family after just settling them in Carlisle? No.  Does he want to be without them? Probably not, though Hucks did it.  Will an Australian side match his wages? Unlikely.  Can he still cut it in the Premier League and can he still be an important part of our squad and our season? Absolutely yes.

Cant see at all how this one could be a go-er

[quote user="priceyrice"]Do these Australian teams have much money? How much would they pay for him, surely anything less than £3M is relatively worthless to us.
[/quote]http://www.soccerfame.com/transfer_table/l/australia/a-leagueI can''t find the page I was on a while back, but it showed a particular club and I think they''d only paid for a couple of their players.That link shows most recent transfers either being free, loans or our favourite ''undisclosed''. The biggest one I saw on there was less than half a million quid!

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]His family might be more tempted by moving to Australia though. Holt is reaching his "Huckerby moment" in his career with City. A true legend who might still have a lot to offer, but whose role/place in the pecking order is becoming uncertain. I actually would be happier to see him having fun in a place like the A-League or the SPL than being reduced to cameos as third choice. If he leaves I wish him best, and hope he''ll gets the send-off he truly deserves.
[/quote]

What are the Melbourne schools like?

We’re now left with a 32 year old Holty on a good contract and potentially too expensive for quite a other clubs to pick up. And although it might cost a City few quid to unwind this in a move away as a result of his new deal, it is well worth the money in my view.

Back track a year and our star striker who had scored 14 (?) league goals was more than potentially on the move to West Ham for £4m + add ons.

If we had sold him where were City going to get an equivalent amount of premier league goals for the same price? Nowhere I’d wager and as we had to pay the banks back the second tranche of the debt (£10m+) a new contract as opposed to receiving a fee and buying a new striker represented the best use of our limited budget at the time.

The end result; although Holty didn’t have such a good 12/13 as 11/12 he’s made a huge contribution to City staying up and getting their hands on the new TV cash.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]His family might be more tempted by moving to Australia though. Holt is reaching his "Huckerby moment" in his career with City. A true legend who might still have a lot to offer, but whose role/place in the pecking order is becoming uncertain. I actually would be happier to see him having fun in a place like the A-League or the SPL than being reduced to cameos as third choice. If he leaves I wish him best, and hope he''ll gets the send-off he truly deserves.[/quote]

What are the Melbourne schools like?

[/quote]No clue.  No idea about Mrs. Holt''s mindset either. I''m simply allowing for the possibiliy that she might see relocation to the south of England as nuisance, while a temporary move to down under as an adventure. But I might easily be wrong.

He''s under contract and our best proven goalscorer so would be stupid to let him go until we know whether we have a proven adequate replacement. This is a no-goer.... maybe later but certainly not now.

If his OH thinks Norfolk is '' down South '' she''s in for a shock if this one goes through.Still, fair play to Holt......a couple of years of laying around on sun-drenched beaches while the little lady freezes her butt off back home looking after the kids.Result ! [:D]