Sign in to follow this  
Gaz06

Hierarchy of the club

Obviously there''s David McNally as the Chief Executive who is in charge of running the club, but what does our chairman Alan Bowkett actually do? As at other clubs such as Stoke the chairman is in charge of appointing a new manager and the day to day running of the club.

Our chairman may be non-executive whereas theirs may be executive (does some of the hands on work). I guess Bowkett keeps the board room meetings going and keeps David McNally in check.

McNally is answerable to the board as a collective, I should Imagine Bowkett is his main contact on the board, essentially his "boss"

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Our chairman may be non-executive whereas theirs may be executive (does some of the hands on work). I guess Bowkett keeps the board room meetings going and keeps David McNally in check.[/quote]

Isn''t McNally a director himself now?[:^)]

Don''t know the ins and outs but McNally is the director of football isn''t he? Basically means he knows the footballing ways to run a football club whereas the board know the finance and community and other side of things.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Don''t know the ins and outs but McNally is the director of football isn''t he? Basically means he knows the footballing ways to run a football club whereas the board know the finance and community and other side of things.[/quote]

No. Not in the sense that some clubs have that position. Ie - usually - a former footballer who oversees the bigger picture footballing stuff - often including transfers - while the manager is more of a coach who works with whatever players the director of football has provided.McNally is a director and he has a footballing background, but not on the playing side.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]He''s massively involved with negotiation of transfers though isn''t he?[/quote]

But not - I assume - in terms of identifying the targets. Hughton - helped by his coaching staff and the scouts - will say who he wants the club to buy, then it is up to the board to provide the finance - or as much as they can - and then it will be up to McNally to do the negotiating on behalf of the board and Hughton, trying to fit the targets to the budget. That is the normal way, as I understand it. So it will have been Hughton who said he wanted the club to buy Hooper, for example. The board then, the board set aside money for that and other deals, and then McNally did the negotiating.