Sign in to follow this  
Waveney Canary

Gary hooper

[quote user="Orford65"]They''re playing Hibs ffs![/quote]True. But the goals have been absolutely brilliant.The header especially was class.

[quote user="Orford65"]They''re playing Hibs ffs![/quote]Agreed and hence also my caution on RVW that I expressed earlier in the week.   

[quote user="AJ"]Great player. Not sure he''s prem class though[/quote]Only experience would confirm it.Players like Holt / Hoolahan / Snodgrass etc have all been able to make the step up form lower leagues.Barnett / Tierney / Jackson etc have not.It would certainly be a gamble. I''ve watched him in the SPL and he looked class, then in Europe it''s a mixed bag. Some games he seemed to be everywhere, other games not on the pitch.It would certainly be a gamble !

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Orford65"]They''re playing Hibs ffs![/quote]Agreed and hence also my caution on RVW that I expressed earlier in the week.    [/quote]I also am a bit worried about the notion  that Rip Van will solve all our striking problems.Not sure about the standard of the Portuguese league, but I watched him in last season''s Europa comp and I did''nt think he was all that.Am confident though that Hoots knows what he''s doing and am sure that he will be bringing in other quality players for support.

[quote user="Orford65"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Orford65"]They''re playing Hibs ffs![/quote]Agreed and hence also my caution on RVW that I expressed earlier in the week.    [/quote]I also am a bit worried about the notion  that Rip Van will solve all our striking problems.Not sure about the standard of the Portuguese league, but I watched him in last season''s Europa comp and I did''nt think he was all that.Am confident though that Hoots knows what he''s doing and am sure that he will be bringing in other quality players for support.[/quote]In my view,  Portuguese and Scottish Prems are similar to Championship standard.  When we sign players from these leagues we should be insisting on clauses to ensure that transfer fees relate to success in the Prem, otherwise we are at risk of expensive flops. 

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Orford65"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Orford65"]They''re playing Hibs ffs![/quote]Agreed and hence also my caution on RVW that I expressed earlier in the week.    [/quote]I also am a bit worried about the notion  that Rip Van will solve all our striking problems.Not sure about the standard of the Portuguese league, but I watched him in last season''s Europa comp and I did''nt think he was all that.Am confident though that Hoots knows what he''s doing and am sure that he will be bringing in other quality players for support.[/quote]In my view,  Portuguese and Scottish Prems are similar to Championship standard.  When we sign players from these leagues we should be insisting on clauses to ensure that transfer fees relate to success in the Prem, otherwise we are at risk of expensive flops.  [/quote]

Rvw is in the Dutch squad no sure we can say he is a championship player even if he is in a championship standard league

[quote user="Waveney Canary"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Orford65"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Orford65"]They''re playing Hibs ffs![/quote]Agreed and hence also my caution on RVW that I expressed earlier in the week.    [/quote]I also am a bit worried about the notion  that Rip Van will solve all our striking problems.Not sure about the standard of the Portuguese league, but I watched him in last season''s Europa comp and I did''nt think he was all that.Am confident though that Hoots knows what he''s doing and am sure that he will be bringing in other quality players for support.[/quote]In my view,  Portuguese and Scottish Prems are similar to Championship standard.  When we sign players from these leagues we should be insisting on clauses to ensure that transfer fees relate to success in the Prem, otherwise we are at risk of expensive flops.  [/quote]

Rvw is in the Dutch squad no sure we can say he is a championship player even if he is in a championship standard league[/quote]The key thing is though that so many are sure he will score 20-odd goals next season. He may or he may not but until he is tried we won''t know. He had one friendly against Ukraine in 2010 and has been called up for only his second cap this week.... so two caps in three years. Not really that convincing is it ?

I still have the old fashioned view of strikers that if they have that nack of being in the right place at the right time that the best do, and can finish smartly then it doesnt matter too much which league your in. Holt was in league 2 and then last season proved if you get the right service then there is the potential for a good finished to do well, regardless on this aura people seem to have... the goals arnt any smaller in the top flight! Now I know that there are better defenders, keepers and ,apparently, less time on the ball, but to be honest I think to counter that you have better midfielders and improved service. 1 on 1 with any keeper Id fancy a bet on hooper or RVW to put it away, same if it feel to them in a scuffle in the box. These lads are poachers and its that instinct that we need! Id take a punt on Hooper, Id be more concerned if he wasnt scoring for fun in the ''awful'' SPL.

I am sure we will go in for Hooper again and at a lower figure than in January. If we can get RVW for £8.5m then Hooper should be around half that figure and he is sure to want a punt in the premiership with someone

Well in his defence its probably because he knows better after the whole Cody thing to be abit more cynical of relative unknowns, though I think people are still underestimating the quality of the leagues that both RVW and Hooper have come from. Good players have to come from somewhere, they arnt all born straight into a top flight teams academy!

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="AJ"]Great player. Not sure he''s prem class though[/quote]Only experience would confirm it.Players like Holt / Hoolahan / Snodgrass etc have all been able to make the step up form lower leagues.Barnett / Tierney / Jackson etc have not.It would certainly be a gamble. I''ve watched him in the SPL and he looked class, then in Europe it''s a mixed bag. Some games he seemed to be everywhere, other games not on the pitch.It would certainly be a gamble ![/quote]

Jackson has never come close to Hooper''s goal scoring record even in league 2. Hooper is a class above what we have already (with exception of RVW). Those suggesting that RVW only scores goals cos of the poor quality of league are frankly ignorant.

Any transfer is a gamble even "prem strikers" (look at Graham at Sunderland and Adebyour at Tottenham)

Before the forum police get there first, I''m sure that''s not the right spelling of Adebyour!

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Orford65"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Orford65"]They''re playing Hibs ffs![/quote]Agreed and hence also my caution on RVW that I expressed earlier in the week.    [/quote]I also am a bit worried about the notion  that Rip Van will solve all our striking problems.Not sure about the standard of the Portuguese league, but I watched him in last season''s Europa comp and I did''nt think he was all that.Am confident though that Hoots knows what he''s doing and am sure that he will be bringing in other quality players for support.[/quote]In my view,  Portuguese and Scottish Prems are similar to Championship standard.  When we sign players from these leagues we should be insisting on clauses to ensure that transfer fees relate to success in the Prem, otherwise we are at risk of expensive flops.  [/quote]

It all depends on the player surely...... I wouldn''t say the Belgian league is that great but Benteke has come over here and scored bucket loads...... I wouldn''t put the Portuguese league on the same level as the Scottish prem. If primera Liga is championship standard then Scottish prem has to be league one. That really is a terrible league!!!

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]So it with Premiership status assured it would appear the next stick for Paul Moy to hit NCFC with is RVW.....[/quote]Well, you probably thought Chris Martin would play for Man Utd.....  [:D]

So just because Paul Moy lives in a hole and never bothers to learn about anything outside of Norfolk, anyone from any league abroad is instantly not up to it?

Quite hilarious really. I can''t tell if you''re an excellent troll or just a deluded little man. I''m siding with the latter. Thank god the people that run our club aren''t as short sighted and closed off from the rest of the world.

I think I''d still be fairly happy with signing Hooper to be honest. I can understand the reservations, about both RvW and Hooper, but got to trust the board, scouts and manager. Both have looked good, especially RvW in my opinion. Regards to the Wolf, I think he''ll do just fine if he plays like he has done this year.

We''ll just have to wait and see. We can all say that ''x'' league is ''x'' league standard and he has one cap so is rubbish - but you''re missing the point. He scores goals. Has scored in every game since the turn of the new year. 18 goals in 23 apps. Not bad, I would say, especially when looking at our conversion rate. So he might not bowl the world over next season, but I''m sure he''ll add some well needed goals. Never know, might just turn out to be a machine if our midfield can feed him right.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Waveney Canary"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Orford65"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Orford65"]They''re playing Hibs ffs![/quote]Agreed and hence also my caution on RVW that I expressed earlier in the week.    [/quote]I also am a bit worried about the notion  that Rip Van will solve all our striking problems.Not sure about the standard of the Portuguese league, but I watched him in last season''s Europa comp and I did''nt think he was all that.Am confident though that Hoots knows what he''s doing and am sure that he will be bringing in other quality players for support.[/quote]In my view,  Portuguese and Scottish Prems are similar to Championship standard.  When we sign players from these leagues we should be insisting on clauses to ensure that transfer fees relate to success in the Prem, otherwise we are at risk of expensive flops.  [/quote]

Rvw is in the Dutch squad no sure we can say he is a championship player even if he is in a championship standard league[/quote]The key thing is though that so many are sure he will score 20-odd goals next season. He may or he may not but until he is tried we won''t know. He had one friendly against Ukraine in 2010 and has been called up for only his second cap this week.... so two caps in three years. Not really that convincing is it ?[/quote]You''ve said it yourself so stop looking for something else to blame "ewl Houghton" with and enjoy the 11th placed finish..

Although we only got it because Man City were on the beach [:''(](Again, let''s ignore the fact that we were on the beach v Man City as well after bashing the Baggies)....

Any transfer is a risk!

Yes Hoopers playing in a League that is on a level with lower Championship but he must have something about him to score the goals he has!

If hes to improve further and get a possible England call up then he has to take a chance in the Premiership. I don''t think a bigger club than us will take a chance on him yet so we have a good chance of getting him!

Apart from Hooper who are we going to get that will be better?

We could take a chance on a foriegn player similar to RVW or a Championship player but in reality I feel we''ll struggle to get someone with more pedigree than Hooper!

We definately need another striker at least, Hooper is definately worth a punt!

Fed up with this RVW has 1 cap stuff. The Dutch have some wonderful attacking talent in Van Persie, Huntelaar, Kuyt, Van der Vaert & Robben.

Lets be honest RVW & Hooper are about as good a level as we are likely to sign currently. Promising players in lesser leagues who (lets be honest) see us as a stepping stone to possibly better things.

The people putting down these two then suggest players from Belgium, Czech etc!!!

[quote user="Evesham Canary"]Fed up with this RVW has 1 cap stuff. The Dutch have some wonderful attacking talent in Van Persie, Huntelaar, Kuyt, Van der Vaert & Robben.

Lets be honest RVW & Hooper are about as good a level as we are likely to sign currently. Promising players in lesser leagues who see us as a stepping stone to possibly better things.

The people putting down these two then suggest players from Belgium, Czech etc!!![/quote]

Unless we are willing to pay silly money on proven scorers in the premiership then any striker below 10m is a risk . As we have shown you can move players up the levels with good coaching and good team ethos Hooper is worth a shot but only if we do not get in a bidding war and he wants to move up a level,certainly should bid less than January.

I watched the entire final and thought Gary Hooper was different class. his two goals, albeit benefitting from bad defending and keeping, were very well taken. Although he did utterly fluff his chance of a hattrick.

I''d rather Holty stick around for another year alongside RVW though. Hooper would cost a fair bit, although with only a year left on his contract the fee would be lower, he''d still be a big money gamble. I''d Holty stays a perfect back up would be Vaughan if somebody could convince him to also stick around and be third choice.

[quote user="paul moy"]In my view,  Portuguese and Scottish Prems are similar to Championship standard.  When we sign players from these leagues we should be insisting on clauses to ensure that transfer fees relate to success in the Prem, otherwise we are at risk of expensive flops. 
[/quote]

Sometimes I feel like I''ve walked into an alternate reality when reading this board.

Sporting are in a different league to us. The reason we could attract RVW is because we are in the Prem, its very obvious he wants to showcase his skills with us and if he plays well, he may only be here for 1 season.

Portuguese league is not Championship standard, I mean.. really?

Sporting aren''t that great these days, they didn''t do well in their league, and their average attendance is very similar to ours even with a 50,000 seater stadium. Plus, wages over there are not compared to the premier league. I agree we may only have RVW for one season but don''t bet on it, he has a history of choosing smaller clubs when big ones come calling, in order to play regularly.

I can''t believe there are people on here being negative about spending £8.5M on a striker! Some people have short memories - 4 summers ago we were signing free transfers from Hartlepool & Yeovil along with random trialists we had never heard of! If RVW & Hooper not good enough then who do u want?

[quote user="Evesham Canary"]I can''t believe there are people on here being negative about spending £8.5M on a striker! Some people have short memories - 4 summers ago we were signing free transfers from Hartlepool & Yeovil along with random trialists we had never heard of! If RVW & Hooper not good enough then who do u want?[/quote]

Binners!