Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Bradley Johnson's Engine

[quote user="Mr Carrow"]With age we aquire wisdom, a sense of perspective and generally a level of civility, regretably there is always the exception that proves the rule. Congratulations![/quote]

Your sole contribution to this thread has been to resort to ageist abuse. Very civil. Regretably (sic) with age, we do not always aquire (sic) the ability to spell.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Webbo118"]

Long ball - An attempted pass of 25 yards or more.

Key pass - The final pass leading to a shot at goal from a teammate

Cross - An attempted pass from a wide position to a central attacking area

Through ball - An attempted/accurate pass between opposition players in their defensive line to find an onrushing teammate (running through on goal)

Pass success - Percentage of attempted passes that successfully found a teammate

Interesting! As is often said, the devil is in the detail.

1) How is the 25 yards measured and, if the pass is intercepted before it arrives at its target, how do they know if the intended pass is more or less than 25 yards?

2) If the "final pass" is received by the player 40 yards out with his back to goal and he then beats three players before having his shot on goal, is it still regarded as a final pass?

3) If the receiving player is standing still, is it still regarded as a through ball?, i.e. does he have to be onrushing?

4) Pass definition - another poster thought that a short pass is one that is "less than 10-15 metres in length". What is one of say 13 metres regarded as? He also thought a long pass was "one which is generally over 30 metres but may be slightly less depending on the situation/angle". I have to ask, what type of situation and what type of angle would change the definition?

If statistics are based on such subjective data, the results produced may well be of very little value.

[/quote]

1) There will be a definition obviously. Each pass is logged with X and Y co-ordinates for its point of origin and destination

2) Yes, any pass which results in a goal from the player receiving the ball before he loses possession.

3) No.  A player has to be running through for a through ball.

4)  A pass of 25 yards or more between players is a Long Pass.  The other definition was inaccurate for the whoscored data.  

Opta do far more analysis with many different pass types.  There is a whole list of definitions here for the raw opta data.

http://www.optasportspro.com/fr/a-propos/blog-d%27optapro/posts/2012/optapro%27s-event-definitions.aspx

I do find it strange how angry you are getting over some statistics.  You don''t have to be an opta analyst to see that passing is not a strength of Bradley''s game.

[/quote]

Not getting angry at all but finding it mildly amusing that some seem to think they have found football''s Holy Grail.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Mr Carrow"]With age we aquire wisdom, a sense of perspective and generally a level of civility, regretably there is always the exception that proves the rule. Congratulations![/quote]

Your sole contribution to this thread has been to resort to ageist abuse. Very civil. Regretably (sic) with age, we do not always aquire (sic) the ability to spell.

[/quote]

Agiest abuse, you are overly sensative or seeing insult where none exists dear boy. Ironic that you critisise my contribution, which was accurate if brief, and chose to respond with pedantic spelling corrections.

Bradley Johnson is the bestest ever.

And if you don''t agree you clearly have no concept of perfection. Because that''s what he is. Perfection.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Bradley Johnson is the bestest ever.

And if you don''t agree you clearly have no concept of perfection. Because that''s what he is. Perfection.[/quote]

Well said Ginger, it''s amazing to me that people chose to knock him.

This thread just goes to show how tiny the pink uns general consensus is to most fans.

He was third in the POTS for a reason. I think he is pretty good.

[quote user="BWs Cat "]This thread just goes to show how tiny the pink uns general consensus is to most fans.

He was third in the POTS for a reason. I think he is pretty good.[/quote]He is pretty good.  But if he was a dog, he could keep himself fit and happy all day by playing "fetch" with himself... win the stick... give the stick away.... WIN THE STICK AGAIN!.... give it away again.... WIN IT BACK!.... etc etc.He''d definitely be the dog I''d pick from the Dogs Trust place, he''d be in great shape with shiny eyes and a glossy coat.   But if he went to fetch the evening paper for me, I''d probably get to read it just before bedtime and it''d be a bit sweaty, plus he''d smell kind of funny.

[quote user="BWs Cat "]This thread just goes to show how tiny the pink uns general consensus is to most fans.[/quote]No, this thread shows how THICK some of our fans are, in that they simply cannot grasp the concept of being able to point out a weakness in a players'' game, without this being seen as a vicious attack whereby the players total footballing ability is being brought into question in the process...If this thread was full of posters slating Johnson''s overall ability and game then you (and some others) would have a point, but that is NOT what is happening.I''ll say it again for the deaf and permanently baffled:Johnson is a good (if slightly limited) player, who had a strong season for us but dramatically needs to improve on his passing in order to make the step up to the next level, where he''d rightly be placed alongside people like Parker and Barry etc, and in with an outside shout of an England call-up.Johnson is NOT a bad player, Johnson is NOT being slated and dismissed by the fans, and Johnson''s passing is NOT very good compared to the rest of the league statistically.That''s it, I can''t make it any clearer and if that''s not enough then maybe some posters should ask for a new carer to explain it better to them...