Sign in to follow this  
TDC

Stewart Downing

I''m not here to spread rumours and don''t post on this site often but there are a couple of mentions on twitter that we are after downing on loan for the season. I noticed that this has not been mentioned before and just wanted to know people''s thoughts. I personally think it would be a good signing. As I said this may be just pie in the sky just sharing what I heard!

(a) There are a couple of mentions on Twitter that zombies have risen from the grave and are desecrating parts of the United Kingdom.  Point being, something being "mentioned on Twitter" doesn''t make something true.(b) I really would rather we signed Fabrice Muamba, even if he can''t play any more he''d still have more end product than Stewart Downing.

If he''s available on loan, it''s probably because he has lost much of what he had, and become something of a spent force. What he would offer is less than what Snoddy and Pilks offer. I can''t imagine that he would be anything other than cover for injury. Do we need a stop-gap on the wings?

[quote user="TDC"]I''m not here to spread rumours and don''t post on this site often but there are a couple of mentions on twitter that we are after downing on loan for the season. I noticed that this has not been mentioned before and just wanted to know people''s thoughts. I personally think it would be a good signing. As I said this may be just pie in the sky just sharing what I heard![/quote]So you are here to spread rumours then?

I didnt say it was true you muppet! Just sharing a rumour as everyone else does!

[quote user="TDC"]I didnt say it was true you muppet! Just sharing a rumour as everyone else does![/quote]

Easy tiger. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

[quote user="TDC"]I''m not here to spread rumours[/quote][quote user="TDC"]Just sharing a rumour as everyone else does![/quote]Make your mind up...

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Yes please![/quote]

[quote user="Herman "]That''s my mind made up. No thanks.[/quote]

LOL! [:D]

You do have to think he has something about him - enough for several big transfer fees paid, 30-odd England caps and so on - but he has always looked pretty ordinary whenever I''ve seen him!

Downing is a championship player who''s managed to finagle his way into big teams and the England squad on the back of ONE good season.His laughably poor performances last season should be all that needs to be said on the subject of a move here!

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Downing is a championship player who''s managed to finagle his way into big teams and the England squad on the back of ONE good season. His laughably poor performances last season should be all that needs to be said on the subject of a move here![/quote]

Indy, I very rarely agree with your rambling but I''m with you on this one. [;)]

I''d certainly have Downing at Norwich. Very good player.

He hasn''t had the greatest of times at Liverpool (though he did come into it a bit more in the second half of this season) but before that he had had several good seasons at Boro and Villa.

Can play either wing, can beat a man, can put a ball in and he''s shown in the past that he can score a goal.

Can''t see there''s any realistic chance of us getting him though.

I know some people are going to groan at this, but to affirm my opinion on Downing, I''m going to throw a few stats into the mix.I''m going to show the last 5 years of stats as arguably anything before this is so long ago it''s not relevant any longer.Goals - 12 in 165 = 1 goal every 14 gamesAssists - 21 in 165 = 1 every 8 gamesCrossing (based on last 4 years stats, don''t have 5th year) - 209 out of 840 attempts = 25% cross accuracyPass Success - 3800 out of 4650 attempts = 81.7%So each season we could expect an average goal return of 3 per season, with 5 assists, and the accuracy of crossing and passing listed above...Hardly inspiring is it? (And certainly not worth the 20 million Liverpool paid for him!)Let''s also mention that based on pure returns over the last 2 seasons, Pilks has scored 3 times as many goals as Downing has, with less apps to boot, and he''s only slightly worse on his passing stats as well!Downing is one of the most overrated players to wear an England shirt in the last 30 years, and the idea that he''d be picked over Pilks for either club or country is laughable.Please, please don''t sign this guy CH...