Sign in to follow this  
Cobain18

New striker

I''ve seen lots of speculation on here about who we could get in as an additional striker, here are my thoughts:

I know some fans may not like it but British players are generally more expensive than their foreign counterparts (take Michu as an example).

Looking around at foreign leagues I think if we have a good enough scouting network we may be able to do better than names that have been mentioned; a lot of the players listed below I''ve not heard of (hence the need for a scouting team) but their stats seem impressive:

Wilfried Bony - plays for Vitesse Arnhem 46 goals in 65 appearances

Graziano Pelle - plays for Feyenoord 27 goals in 29 appearances

Alfred Finnbogason - plays for Herenveen 24 goals in 31 appearances

Carlos Bacca - plays for Brugge 27 goals in 44 appearances

Roberto Soldado - plays for Valencia 22 goals this season

Some of these suggestions may be a bit unrealistic but I guess the point I''m trying to make is that there are some very good strikers out there if we have a good enough scouting network to find them!

Soldado plays for Valencia who will have Europa League or Champions League football next season, no chance. Pelle was on loan to Feyenoord last season and he only officially signs for them July 1st, so its literally impossible for us to sign him.Bacca has only been capped 3 times by Colombia, he would be unlikely to get a work permit unless he has an EU passport stashed away somewhere.Which leaves Bony and Finnbogason, who would be fantastic signings but I would imagine richer clubs than us will be in for both of them.

Ezekiel and Batshuayi have far more potential than any of them mentioned. Both play for Standard liege, both 19, both would be not too expensive and both score a goal every other game. Farrrrr more promising than Benteke ever was.

[quote user="Cobain18"]I''ve seen lots of speculation on here about who we could get in as an additional striker, here are my thoughts: I know some fans may not like it but British players are generally more expensive than their foreign counterparts (take Michu as an example). Looking around at foreign leagues I think if we have a good enough scouting network we may be able to do better than names that have been mentioned; a lot of the players listed below I''ve not heard of (hence the need for a scouting team) but their stats seem impressive: Wilfried Bony - plays for Vitesse Arnhem 46 goals in 65 appearances Graziano Pelle - plays for Feyenoord 27 goals in 29 appearances Alfred Finnbogason - plays for Herenveen 24 goals in 31 appearances Carlos Bacca - plays for Brugge 27 goals in 44 appearances Roberto Soldado - plays for Valencia 22 goals this season Some of these suggestions may be a bit unrealistic but I guess the point I''m trying to make is that there are some very good strikers out there if we have a good enough scouting network to find them![/quote]

You''ve "found" them so why don''t you think our very professional, highly motivated, extensive scouting network can''t? Or are you just pitching for a job?

Maybe he heard a Mr. T. Cavendish has vacated his position as a scout for two premier league clubs and his fleshing out his knowledge a bit? :-)

[quote user="Cobain18"]I''ve seen lots of speculation on here about who we could get in as an additional striker, here are my thoughts:

I know some fans may not like it but British players are generally more expensive than their foreign counterparts (take Michu as an example).

Looking around at foreign leagues I think if we have a good enough scouting network we may be able to do better than names that have been mentioned; a lot of the players listed below I''ve not heard of (hence the need for a scouting team) but their stats seem impressive:

Wilfried Bony - plays for Vitesse Arnhem 46 goals in 65 appearances

Graziano Pelle - plays for Feyenoord 27 goals in 29 appearances

Alfred Finnbogason - plays for Herenveen 24 goals in 31 appearances

Carlos Bacca - plays for Brugge 27 goals in 44 appearances

Roberto Soldado - plays for Valencia 22 goals this season

Some of these suggestions may be a bit unrealistic but I guess the point I''m trying to make is that there are some very good strikers out there if we have a good enough scouting network to find them![/quote]The good news for fans is that our scouting network do not use a mix of Football Manager, You tube and Wikipedia to base their judgement. I would suggest the following player as a more realistic one:Gary Hooper - plays for Celtic 63 goals in 95 appearances.

To be fair Starfish.

Football Manager is highly respected in football...

The player opinions and elevations, are done by local coaches and scouts and they have one of the biggest scouting networks in the world of football.

Hence why Everton signed a contract, to get the information and scouting reports early a few years back.

Or do you think the information is picked out of thin air...

Whilst no club (or competent club) would ever use the information solely on it''s own. By and large it forms a fairly accurate opinion of players at that given time.

It''s true some are expect to go on and be world class, and some do, others don''t.

I still like the look of Vaclav Kadlec from sparta prague.    Got over his injury and play and scoring well including in the europa league.

[quote user="Baracouda"]To be fair Starfish.

The player opinions and elevations, are done by local coaches and scouts and they have one of the biggest scouting networks in the world of football.

Hence why Everton signed a contract, to get the information and scouting reports early a few years back.

Whilst no club (or competent club) would ever use the information solely on it''s own. By and large it forms a fairly accurate opinion of players at that given time.

It''s true some are expect to go on and be world class, and some do, others don''t.[/quote]The FM stats are done by volunteer twonks with no official connection to the clubs. I know a couple of people who used to do it. They have vague guidelines to stop people overpowering teams in bad leagues but thats about it.Hence why Arsenal are always massively overrated and win everything despite being pathologically unable to win a trophy in real life.

[quote user="Baracouda"]To be fair Starfish.

It''s true some are expect to go on and be world class, and some do, others don''t.[/quote]True. As far as a database of players goes at a given point in time goes it is a very good resource, and probably a very early example of what we now know as "crowdsourcing". In the correct professional hands, this data would be quite useful.The issue I have with people on this forum using it, is the what happens after. FM has hidden stats that try to guess how a player will progress. This is no more than a educated guess. They get this wrong more than they get it right. People on this forum don''t understand this part.There is a book worth reading that goes into this, including interview with some of the ''scouts''. The book for me was a little disappointing, but for anyone that likes FM (or Champ Man if you''re old school like me), it''s worth a read.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Football-Manager-Stole-Life-Beautiful/dp/0956497179/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370170816&sr=8-1&keywords=football+manager+stole+my+lifeI agree in the correct hands this can be a good resource. In my opinion, no one who posts on this forum owns those hands.