Sign in to follow this  
SYG

James Nursey, twitter...

Nothing to do with little old Norwich mentality at all. Just because two other strikers moved at inflated prices does not mean we should pay one for a player.

For starters Rhodes and Rodriguez were both young and had longer to run on their contracts.

Plus the SPL is not the equivalent of the Champs. Just look at what the clubs spend. It''s more like league one with a smattering of higher league clubs.

Nursey is right about a signing but everything I have been told means it isn''t Hooper unless he was on holiday in Europe. Spain.

[quote user="GRIFFTER45"]

Nursey is right about a signing but everything I have been told means it isn''t Hooper unless he was on holiday in Europe. Spain.

[/quote]

Nice trolling. WTF is the point of a post like that?

I would like nothing more to give you more in depth details about what I know but i have to be cryptic as peoples livelihoods are on the line and saying certain things would pin point who, what when and where. It might turn out to be nothing but i am posting only the accurate information given at the time. I certainly am no troll just a fan as you are.

[quote user="GRIFFTER45"]I would like nothing more to give you more in depth details about what I know but i have to be cryptic as peoples livelihoods are on the line and saying certain things would pin point who, what when and where. It might turn out to be nothing but i am posting only the accurate information given at the time. I certainly am no troll just a fan as you are. [/quote]

Enjoying half term?

[quote user="GRIFFTER45"]I would like nothing more to give you more in depth details about what I know but i have to be cryptic as peoples livelihoods are on the line and saying certain things would pin point who, what when and where. It might turn out to be nothing but i am posting only the accurate information given at the time. I certainly am no troll just a fan as you are. [/quote]

Are you the same guy that said "Sylvain Wiltord. Mark my words, Sylvain Wiltord." and then tapped his nose knowingly on the way back from Watford in Worthington''s promotion season?

If so, Hooper is a much more sensible and realistic target, what with us having previously confirmed interest.

You''re improving....[;)]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I agree with the post above. people need to get out of their "little old Norwich" mindset and start getting their heads around the going rate for players these days, particularly now the new tv deal is in place. £7-8m for a striker with a decent goalscoring record is the norm these days and if the likes of Jordan Rhodes and Jay Rodriguez are going for that sort of fee then we are going to have to start paying it. [/quote]

Michu?

Michu has one gd season in Spain. Otherwise he was very average.

Was a gamble even if a small one. There ain''t many Michu type deals out there that''s for sure.

I am massive on Standard Liege, loved them for years and IMO they have 2 best strikers in there team in Europe for their age.

Check them out.

Imoh Ezekiel, lightning quick and great finisher.

Michy Batshuayi, has everything going for him.

Both only 19 year olds scoring a goal every other game.

Both far more promising than Benteke ever was and prob available for cheap.

[quote user="flecky76"]In all honesty, with the plane being on standby back in January, this meant that terms with the player had all but been agreed. It was just the small matter of the transfer fee that remained outstanding so doubt the players stance would have changed considerably since then.

Despite the end of season angst, our mid table finish of 11th will help make it even more attractive to that upper quality of player. No reason why Hooper should suddenly think otherwise.[/quote]Not according to McNally in late April. The problem wasn''t the fee. It was that Hooper simply wasn''t for sale:Fan on twitter: "If you had paid extra cash for hooper team would have been clear of

relegation by now. Short sighted.”McNally reply: "His club wouldn''t sell him."
It was just that it took until halfway through transfer deadline day for us to realise that.

good strikers dont come cheap and I have no doubt we will be spending both wisely and large this summer - big fees does not always mean big risk (which would include the likes of austin)

and why are people so aggressive about people posting gossip? Griffter may or may not know something - it does not seem like a troll attempt but even if you think he is trolling why be so blooming aggressive???

Treat all rumours as just that - rumours, gossip. The fake ones are unproveable and those with good sauces (sic) are never going to reveal them. All you can do is read, digest and most importantly only wait and see.

For what its worth hooper is a risky signing, possible goal scorer but limited link up play or pace so not sure what he will bring to the team and definitely wont bring anything different to those we already have. He has some potential to improve but given limitations I would not want us spending more that £5m getting him here for one of such limited appeal.

Course it was just the Transfer Fee that was the issue.

Every single player in the world is for sale, at the right price.

There was obviously some negotiating taking place between the clubs in January. We just wernt prepared to pay the price Celtic valued him at.

[quote user="Warren Hill"]

Are you the same guy that said "Sylvain Wiltord. Mark my words, Sylvain Wiltord." and then tapped his nose knowingly on the way back from Watford in Worthington''s promotion season?

If so, Hooper is a much more sensible and realistic target, what with us having previously confirmed interest.

You''re improving....[;)]

[/quote]

ummm no it was not. my messages a few so check.

[quote user="CDMullins"]Course it was just the Transfer Fee that was the issue.

Every single player in the world is for sale, at the right price.

There was obviously some negotiating taking place between the clubs in January. We just wernt prepared to pay the price Celtic valued him at.[/quote]

If we had offered £20m Celtic would probably have decided Hooper was available! In that sense everyone is for sale at the right price. But as far as what anyone would regard as a price within reason for Hooper is concerned McNally has flatly denied that was the problem. And this was always quite likely. Hooper had 18 months left on his contract, so Celtic knew they would still get a good price this summer, or next January. And they were still in the Champions League, with Juventus coming up.

Just been spotted - allegedly - at Thickthorne services.

Asda just doesn''t cut it any more!

haha considering hooper is in las vegas he has done well to get to Norfolk

I''d imagine it will end up being Hooper for something in the region of £6-8 million, quite how Celtic can feel they can play hard ball when he would leave for free next summer I have no idea... last chance to cash in, January wont help inflate the price this time around, no one will play big money for someone with 6 months on their contract. Hooper wants a move to the top flight, they are kidding themselves if they think he is going to sign a new contract.

[quote user="birchfest"]I''d imagine it will end up being Hooper for something in the region of £6-8 million, quite how Celtic can feel they can play hard ball when he would leave for free next summer I have no idea... last chance to cash in, January wont help inflate the price this time around, no one will play big money for someone with 6 months on their contract. Hooper wants a move to the top flight, they are kidding themselves if they think he is going to sign a new contract.[/quote]

I think the fee will be lower with holt being the make weight

To those citing the fact Hooper is in Vegas or Spain as evidence as to why this is not true I don;t think Nursey ever said we are signing him today. Just that we are going all out to sign him and he thinks we will hopefully get him this time (or words to that effect).

Not that we would necessarily play with a target man (although I imagine we would want at least one in the squad) but I don''t get the impression that either Hooper or van Wolfswinkel is that kind of player. Is that accurate?

Neither Hooper or RVW are target men although RVW played as a lone striker quite a lot. Their strengths are quite similar, they read the game well, get into good positions, have a great first touch and are deadly around the penalty box. They are both good at beating the offside trap, we just need someone in midfield to dink that long ball over the top.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Not that we would necessarily play with a target man (although I imagine we would want at least one in the squad) but I don''t get the impression that either Hooper or van Wolfswinkel is that kind of player. Is that accurate?[/quote]

Hooper is not although interestingly he has played up front on his own quite a lot for Celtic. Whilst RVW is not a Holt type of "target man" he does appear to be taller and quite good in the air.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Neither Hooper or RVW are target men although RVW played as a lone striker quite a lot. Their strengths are quite similar, they read the game well, get into good positions, have a great first touch and are deadly around the penalty box. They are both good at beating the offside trap, we just need someone in midfield to dink that long ball over the top.[/quote]

Thanks. That ties in with what I had thought. It does - assuming we ARE after Hooper - raise the question of whether Hughton thinks we already have in the squad a target man who will be of Premier League standard next season. Or whether - assuming he wants that kind of player - one such is also on the shopping list.Whether "target man" is quite the right decription is also a question. But someone powerful enough to lead the forward line, with or without another striker, is what I am talking about. If we are after Hooper and a target man/line leader that could be quite a chunk out of the summer budget.