Sign in to follow this  
stoke canary

Ron Davies dies......

A little before my time but he''ll always be regarded as a City legend. Also fondly remembered as part of his national team''s '' Welsh Airforce '' in the late 60''s/ early 70''s.Sad to hear that he fell on hard times recently which might explain why it took five days for the news to reach us here in England.RIP.

Just pleased that i actually saw the great man play during his time at Norwich City.The word legend is used far to often for players who are barely worthy of the word but he was and will remain a big part of the history of Norwich City Football Club and the word legend never had a more worthy name than Ron Davies associated with it.

RIP.

Can one of the older posters explain the ''derisory'' sale price that caused a ruckus amongst fans. He was a bit before my time so it would be good to hear about our history. Cheers.

Oh dear, so shocked to hear this news. Ron was a big part of my youthful City supporting life in the 1960''s. I remember we signed him from Luton for £35k, a big fee in those days and in his first game he scored in a come from behind victory, against Scunthorpe I believe.When I got home I told my dad that I had seen a future star of the game and I wasn''t wrong. He went on to score 30 goals that season.From the first moment you saw Ron you knew he had something a bit out of the ordinary. I have watched City for almost 60 years but never have I seen a better header of the Ball than Ron Davies. He could hold the ball up, score with both feet and had a big physical presence and in the air he was totaly supreme.Nowadays somebody like that would cost you £ 40 or £50 million. How we ever let him go for a derisory £55k will always remain a mystery to me.Ted McDougal might have been a better goalscorer but in my opinion Ron Davies was the most complete Centre Forward ever to wear the yellow and green.Farewell Ron, I have wonderful memories of you and I''m proud to say that I saw you play.

Of course in those days city would always sell any player if

a profit was involved. I seem to recall we paid £35,000 and sold him for

£55,000.  

One day after seeing city play in London, went to Liverpool

St Station to catch the train back to Norwich, and all the players were also

waiting for the same train ( those were the days, can you imagine that today?)

I got into conversation with Ron, and asked him why his

nickname was Kipper, he said it was because of the size of his feet.

I also seem to recall towards the end of his career, he

spent some time at Man Utd.

A player I loved watching, and as others have stated the

best header of a football we have ever had.

[quote user="Herman "]RIP.

Can one of the older posters explain the ''derisory'' sale price that caused a ruckus amongst fans. He was a bit before my time so it would be good to hear about our history. Cheers.[/quote]We never found out Herman. It was a reasonably big fee in those days but when you consider that Wyn Davies (another big Welsh centre forward went for £60k and wasn''t a patch on Ron you have to wonder if there were other reasons than money. Our loss was Southampton''s gain.

Two goals from a 3-3 home draw with Man City in 1965. A massive far-post header (harder and further than a Julien Brellier shot...) from a left-wing cross. A turn on the half way line to flummox the central defender, a run, and an emphatic finish from outside the penalty area that the goalie may have seen.RIP.

Cheers mate.

Having seen his goalscoring stats for Soton it was our loss. Blimey they are good.

When I was a boy money was in short supply in my family. However, if I was fortunate enough to get a birthday or Christmas present that was special, everyone who was kind to me knew that a football annual book would draw joy from me more than anything else. I would study those books for hours reading the history and looking at the beautiful photographs/illustrations, the great players in history from past decades in their wonderful club colors swooping down on goal just evading the tackle of an opposing defender, equally resplendent in their own color. As I studied the determination on their faces and read the background of the clubs and players such as Tommy Lawton, Alex James, Stanley Matthews and the like, I would fantasize about he colors I would wear one day.

Even in those early years I knew the kind of footballer I wanted to be. Talented, determined, fair, unselfish. When Ron Davies arrived at Carrow Road and made his mark for the club he was all of the things that I had imagined as a young boy that I wanted to be. He ran like a gazelle. He was good with his feet but when the ball arrived in the air in the opponents penalty area you could always sense the heightened anticipation of the crowd. Ron seemed to have that wonderful ability of rising effortlessly in the air and, when his head connected with the ball, you expected the ball to fly fast and true. My favorite striker ever in a Norwich shirt. Rest in peace Ron.    

He had moved on to Southampton by the time I was old enough to attend my first City game in 1967. Still remember him as a great player. RIP Ron

RIP Kipper, a true City legend in every way, thanks for some wonderful memories.

66 goals in just 126 games for us. If only he''d still been with us when we finally made the big-time. I believe he scored at an even faster rate for Southampton in the top division. Sir Matt Busby described him as the best Number 9 in Europe. Accolades don''t come much higher.

One of my favourite football quotes was Geoffrey Watling''s from when he signed him. "If you fail your medical we''ll sack the doctor".

RIP Ronald Tudor Davies of Flint.

A legendary name from before my time. Chairman Geoffrey Watling is quoted as being prpared to sack the doctor if Davies had failed his medical. By 2007 he was working as a roofer in the States and living in a trailer park. He had to rely on public donations from Southampton and Norwich fans to pay for a replacement Hip to enable him to work again. RIP Ron.

Time plays tricks with the memory and it is almost impossible to compare players across the ages but Big Ron was City''s centre forward when I started watching the Canaries and I can''t think we''ve ever had a better all-round player in that position. Big and strong, a brilliant hold-up player with surprisingly nimble feet whose trademark was those bullet headers from anywhere in the penalty area. Billy Punton tearing down the left wing, whipping over a cross to the penalty spot and there would be Ron towering above defenders to send in a header that went harder than most players could shoot with their feet giving the goalkeeper no chance. Great, great memories. So sad that he fell on hard times. A player with his skill would be paid a fortune in the modern era. RIP Big Man. 

The closest to the great John Charles I ever saw (and for our younger readers, that''s a real compliment - if you don''t know who John Charles was, Google him)

I didn''t move to Norfolk until 1970 but as a boy I watched a lot of football on Southern tv and Southampton regularly featured. Terry Paine banging them over and Ron Davies on the end. What a player!! Great for Wales in the late 60s Home Championships too.

For me as a boy learning about football he defined the centre forward.

[quote user="Devils Advocate."]The last few years of his career Norwich were actually in the same division as he was, with Southampton. Man Utd and Portsmouth. Did he play against us at all?[/quote]Yes, but didn''t score against us.In 72/73. A 0-0 draw and a 0-1 defeat.

He played for us just before I started watching City, but all the older fans I have spoken to referred to him in awe struck tones.

RIP Big Ron.

[quote user="ricardo"]Oh dear, so shocked to hear this news. Ron was a big part of my youthful City supporting life in the 1960''s. I remember we signed him from Luton for £35k, a big fee in those days and in his first game he scored in a come from behind victory, against Scunthorpe I believe.When I got home I told my dad that I had seen a future star of the game and I wasn''t wrong. He went on to score 30 goals that season.

From the first moment you saw Ron you knew he had something a bit out of the ordinary. I have watched City for almost 60 years but never have I seen a better header of the Ball than Ron Davies. He could hold the ball up, score with both feet and had a big physical presence and in the air he was totaly supreme.Nowadays somebody like that would cost you £ 40 or £50 million. How we ever let him go for a derisory £55k will always remain a mystery to me.

Ted McDougal might have been a better goalscorer but in my opinion Ron Davies was the most complete Centre Forward ever to wear the yellow and green.

Farewell Ron, I have wonderful memories of you and I''m proud to say that I saw you play.
[/quote]

A fantastic player who will never be forgotten. It broke my heart when we sold him.

The finest centre forward to ever have worn the yellow and green. I watched him put four past us for Luton Town at Kennilworth Road and he was simply magnificent. When we signed him I couldn''t quite believe it and was mortified when we gave him away to Saints. About a week earlier Wynn Davies had moved from Wrexham to Newcastle for £100k reportedly and he wasn''t the player big Ron was although he was the preferred choice for Wales.

Ron was the complete centre forward and Busby''s assessment of him was not hyperbole, just the simple truth at that time.

Thank you Ron for the memories. You were, still are and probably always will be my choice as City''s greatest ever player.

[quote user="Dr Crafty Canary"]The finest centre forward to ever have worn the yellow and green. I watched him put four past us for Luton Town at Kennilworth Road and he was simply magnificent. When we signed him I couldn''t quite believe it and was mortified when we gave him away to Saints. About a week earlier Wynn Davies had moved from Wrexham to Newcastle for £100k reportedly and he wasn''t the player big Ron was although he was the preferred choice for Wales.

Ron was the complete centre forward and Busby''s assessment of him was not hyperbole, just the simple truth at that time.

Thank you Ron for the memories. You were, still are and probably always will be my choice as City''s greatest ever player.[/quote]

No, it was hyperbole. Insular hyperbole. Davies was a very good player but hardly, to name just one European centre-forward of the time, in Florian Albert''s class.

[quote user="Dr Crafty Canary"]The finest centre forward to ever have worn the yellow and green. I watched him put four past us for Luton Town at Kennilworth Road and he was simply magnificent. When we signed him I couldn''t quite believe it and was mortified when we gave him away to Saints. About a week earlier Wynn Davies had moved from Wrexham to Newcastle for £100k reportedly and he wasn''t the player big Ron was although he was the preferred choice for Wales. Ron was the complete centre forward and Busby''s assessment of him was not hyperbole, just the simple truth at that time. Thank you Ron for the memories. You were, still are and probably always will be my choice as City''s greatest ever player.[/quote]

Totally agree with that.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Dr Crafty Canary"]The finest centre forward to ever have worn the yellow and green. I watched him put four past us for Luton Town at Kennilworth Road and he was simply magnificent. When we signed him I couldn''t quite believe it and was mortified when we gave him away to Saints. About a week earlier Wynn Davies had moved from Wrexham to Newcastle for £100k reportedly and he wasn''t the player big Ron was although he was the preferred choice for Wales.

Thank you Ron for the memories. You were, still are and probably always will be my choice as City''s greatest ever player.[/quote]

No, it was hyperbole. Insular hyperbole. Davies was a very good player but hardly, to name just one European centre-forward of the time, in Florian Albert''s class.

[/quote]

I think I''ll go with Busby''s assessment as he knew what he was talking about. Florian Albert, really?