Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

The left back position.

We clearly need another left back, with Marc Tierney leaving for Bolton and the idea of Whittaker as the back up (for both right and left back) doesn''t fill me with any confidence. Right footed players should play on the right side and left footed players on the left.

We have just signed Garrido on a 2 year deal, does this give Chris Hughton the opportunity to buy a 22/23 year old player who will develop and then be the successor to Garrido in a few years or should we be looking to buy a left back who is better than Garrido?

I believe the only way to improve is to buy better players for each position when the chance is available. So from that we should be looking for a left back who is better than Garrido already.

I can''t currently think of a left back suitable but will post anyone I feel is a realistic target later.

So your thought, keep Garrido as 1st choice and buy an understudy or have Garrido as the understudy and buy a better left back?

His Dad only wanted a blowie too....

Only kidding Nana, in answer to your question, I''d look for another left back to compete with Garrido. Tierney just wasn''t up to it. Whittaker is decent and will compete with Russ for right back, he could cover LB too but I think we''ll bring in another.

Olsson from Blackburn is the obvious replacement, highly rated, young and already playing for the Swedish international team.

[quote user="birchfest"]Olsson from Blackburn is the obvious replacement, highly rated, young and already playing for the Swedish international team.[/quote]

This was linked a while back wasn''t it?

''I believe the only way to improve is to buy better players for each position when the chance is available.''

You must have a degree in stating the obvious. And Snodgrass is left footed and is far more effective playing on the right.

[quote user="birchfest"]Olsson from Blackburn is the obvious replacement, highly rated, young and already playing for the Swedish international team.[/quote]

Quite similar targets could be Jetro Willems from Eindhoven or Oliver Sorg from Freiburg. Willems is just 19 and already capped few times for Netherlands.

Thought Olsson has already proved that he can play in Premier League and would be lesser risk.

Lucas Digne might be worth of bid if Lille stays out of Eurogames. Had a great season there if I remember correct he has played in every french youth squad U-20

Anyway I''m quite surprised we are not linked already for at least one or two left backs as everyone knows already that Tierney has left the building. I personaly doubt we will get any well known name for this position as Garrido did fine previous season and Hughton seems to trust him quite a lot.

We need not get a left back, but we certainly need another full back. Whittaker (and I imagine Martin as well to be honest) can fill in at left back, but that only requires one injury and a suspension and we''re short.

If we spend large money on other positions, then someone who can play full back and centre half might be a shout - a la Russ Martin, as both of those areas need cover. However, I think given Hughton''s no risks at the back attitude, we are more likely to see a full back and a centre half come in over the summer. I doubt we''ll bring in a big name, but someone relatively young would seem like a good idea perhaps.

I think that Garrido is one of our weakest regular players - lacking pace and prone to make silly mistakes. He, perhaps like Martin and Whittaker, is better going forward and he is capable of great crosses. Unfortunately although we have two or three good CBs, our fullbacks ought to be effective tacklers.  So I would suggest that we find a very good left back, whether for immediate deployment or to develop over time.

[quote user="Salopian"]I think that Garrido is one of our weakest regular players - lacking pace and prone to make silly mistakes. He, perhaps like Martin and Whittaker, is better going forward and he is capable of great crosses. Unfortunately although we have two or three good CBs, our fullbacks ought to be effective tacklers.  So I would suggest that we find a very good left back, whether for immediate deployment or to develop over time.[/quote]

That''s an opinion that''s clearly not shared by those who matter. He''s just been given a new contract.

"That''s an opinion that''s clearly not shared by those who matter. He''s just been given a new contract."

That''s probably more to do with there being a dearth of good left backs and our limited budget.

I suspect we''ll sign another left back and that he may well end up playing more games than Garrido next season.

Either Danny Rose of Spurs (possible loan?) or Martin Olsson of Blackburn would be my choice, but there is also Mulgrew of Celtic if CH did want to go for the LB/CB option and spend more elsewhere.

"That''s probably more to do with there being a dearth of good left backs and our limited budget"

Thanks for sharing that. I knew there had to be a reason.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]With Jose back at the bridge, will Bertrand get a look in? [/quote]Depends if he can prise Coentrao away from Madrid...I''d be tempted to go in for Byram at Leeds, maybe be more right sided than left, but a great prospect and will learn a lot from Garrido et al.

We are short of left-sided players generally - Wes, Surman, Johno and Pilks are the only ones, part from Garrido. Of these Surman has suffered injuries rexcently and Johno is better defensively than going forward.

There is no realistic cover for Garrido - Whittaker or Bennett R could take over during a match, but Garrido suffered a major loss of form or an injury, the cupboard is bare. I''m sure that CH will endeavour to sign a proficient left back, perhaps a younger player who could take over from the Spaniard in emergency and then replace him in two years time.

Personally, while I accept that Garrido is a class act, he worries me defensively slightly . With a pacy winger he can be caught out, and occasionally he seems to act before thinking. Going forward he is very good, as we saw in the last days of the season.

I''d say no to Rose from Spurs. Wasn''t impressed with what I saw of him last season. Not strong enough.

There''s a lad in the under 18''s with the potential to be a replacement, Ben Wyatt,but it might be a bit too early for him.

Hopefully he''ll get more experience this year either with the reserves or on loan to see what he''s really got .I was most impressed with him in the youth cup run and he kept the dangerous Kiwomya reasonably quiet in the Chelsea games..