Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Will RvW be the next Benteke?

We should probably resist the temptation to point and laugh at Villa over the potential departure of Benteke. This is the bed you lie in when you start to dabble in the continental markets. Players have no affiliation to England and our clubs when they arrive, particularly the young free and single ones! They join only to progress their careers, so if a move after one successful season furthers that progression, that tends to be what happens. Different perhaps with the more established foreign players who have been here before or been here a while and or have families to consider.

But if RvW has a season like Benteke has just had, what allegiance is he really going to have to NCFC, if someone bigger comes calling? We mustn''t forget what we have built over the last few years, a solid core of players who are invested in the club and in each other through their acheivements together, and that''s what creates allegiance and loyalty. That''s also where players find that extra yard when their club''s future is on the line. Players either dig deep to preserve their legacy, or if they have no loyalty, no investment in a club, then they have little or no motivation to really dig deep when they need to - see QPR!  

So it''ll be really important to make sure RvW buys in to the culture at the club in the same way Bassong, Snodgrass and Garrido appear to have done. Nevertheless, it''ll be more likely than not that if he has a season like Benteke has had at Villa, he won''t be with us for long.

Did you consider what your divorce would be like before you got married?

I would have though taht the one noticable thing about signings since 2009 is that players have not been tempted to move ''upwards''.That maybe something to do with the club''s policy which is reflectee in who they sign - something QPR certainly did not do.I would be reassured that the club has thoroughly sounded out RVW and are certain that he  "buys in to the culture at the club".

ps my concern would be that we have attracted a fair few fans who haven''t

Hopefully he''ll be the next Benteke rather than the next Danny Graham.

I don''t know where you get this impression the rest of the squad are all this loyal bunch of warriors prepared to die for Norwich - Bassong said pretty much as soon as he arrived that Tottenham will sign him back in the future (implying that they had made a mistake in selling him, which they had I guess).

I wouldn''t think any one of the current Norwich team wouldn''t move club if an offer from a bigger team came along - which is fine by me, as I wouldn''t want anyone of them to be hanging around at Norwich if they aren''t good enough. Loyalty goes two ways and Norwich won''t show any to players so shouldn''t expect any back.

Of course everybody hopes RvW has a season like Benteke. It can only be good for us. If he moves on after a great season we will rake in a huge transfer fee which will allow us to buy in another like him - maybe even more proven than RvW is at this point. If he stays after a great season then even better...

Its a sad situation, but I think we are only ever intended to be a stepping stone to bigger and better things. We are his platform to show what he has in the English game. If he excels he''ll move onto a ''bigger club'', if not he''ll fly home with his tail between his legs.

I don''t see this as a problem. If he is successful, we sell for a healthy profit and then use the funds to invest in the next RvW. When (or if) we get a European slot and manage to maintain that form over a few seasons, thats when we can hope to keep players of RvW''s ilk IMO.

He wouldn''t be the first player in the world to turn up at Carrow Road and fall in love with the city and the attitude of NCFC though! Who knows...

I think we have to be realistic that when we sign young, quality players with plenty of potential, then if they do well enough bigger clubs will come sniffing around.

This is the situation for Michu and Benteke.

Or in the Sunday Times they were saying Real Madrid are looking at offering £85m for Bale.  No one in the PL is immune - look at Arsenal, or Man U losing Ronaldo.

In a way we''ve been lucky the last couple of seasons that our success has been built across the team, and we haven''t had any stars who have stood out so much that bigger teams have wanted to go for them.  But it can''t go on forever.

On the flip side, City have just released 10 players.  So we can''t really have it both ways.

No, his methods of scoring are different. If you mean will he take on the scoring mantel of Benteke, we certainly hope so.

I think RvW will clearly see a club of Norwich''s stature as a stepping stone to a bigger club. I dont think there is anything wrong with that. Nicolas Anelka played for Bolton - he played well and still retained an affection to the club after he left.

I think his hope will be that he proves his ability at Premier League level, and a bigger club becoomes interested (like when West Ham had Tevez and Mascherano). This doesnt mean he will be a mercenary, and indeed once he''s here he may value regular football over warming a big clubs bench.

But you dont move to a club of our stature from a club like Sporting Lisbon without seeing it as a positive career step - and that for him is surely to impress the big boys.

But I dont see whats wrong with that, he has clearly demonstrated with the way he has continued to play for and respect Sporting that he is a respectful chap.

Lets be positive.   If RVW does well and scores plenty of goals - with our good defence it means we will be winning a lot of matches.  That in turn means we will be high up the table and considered one of the clubs to be at.    We are not a selling club any more, so I see no reason to be pessimistic about not being able to hold on to RVW, if he does well.   

[quote user="Vazzza"]Its a sad situation, but I think we are only ever intended to be a stepping stone to bigger and better things. We are his platform to show what he has in the English game. If he excels he''ll move onto a ''bigger club'', if not he''ll fly home with his tail between his legs.[/quote]RvW has a tail!?! This begs a couple of important questions:
  • Does he have a special hole made for it in his shorts, or does he put it down one of the legs?
  • And can he use it to control the ball? If the handball law specifically excludes the use of hands and arms, then why not?

Or is this a Dion Dublin-type euphemism for another part of his anatomy?

"We are not a selling club any more"wrongwe are, as is virtually EVERY other club isplayers have clauses that stipulate that they can move if the fee/wages etc are ok, players will want to try their luck elsewhere, have fallen out with the managementclubs sell players - simple as that

[quote user="a1canary"]

We should probably resist the temptation to point and laugh at Villa over the potential departure of Benteke. This is the bed you lie in when you start to dabble in the continental markets. Players have no affiliation to England and our clubs when they arrive, particularly the young free and single ones! They join only to progress their careers, so if a move after one successful season furthers that progression, that tends to be what happens. Different perhaps with the more established foreign players who have been here before or been here a while and or have families to consider.

But if RvW has a season like Benteke has just had, what allegiance is he really going to have to NCFC, if someone bigger comes calling? We mustn''t forget what we have built over the last few years, a solid core of players who are invested in the club and in each other through their acheivements together, and that''s what creates allegiance and loyalty. That''s also where players find that extra yard when their club''s future is on the line. Players either dig deep to preserve their legacy, or if they have no loyalty, no investment in a club, then they have little or no motivation to really dig deep when they need to - see QPR!  

So it''ll be really important to make sure RvW buys in to the culture at the club in the same way Bassong, Snodgrass and Garrido appear to have done. Nevertheless, it''ll be more likely than not that if he has a season like Benteke has had at Villa, he won''t be with us for long.

[/quote]

Bloody hell! He hasn''t even got here yet and you''re already talking about him being on his way.

[quote user="City1st"]"We are not a selling club any more"wrongwe are, as is virtually EVERY other club isplayers have clauses that stipulate that they can move if the fee/wages etc are ok, players will want to try their luck elsewhere, have fallen out with the managementclubs sell players - simple as that[/quote]

Your constant jibes and purposefully misunderstanding what people say are typical of you.  I''ll spell it out for you.   We are a club who has no longer needs to sell players because we need the money.    We can sell on at a profit if the player wants to move, but otherwise we are not what we used to be - a poor club which had to operate a policy of selling at a profit to keep its head above water.  So we are not a "selling club" in that sense.  Does that help?  Or do you need to have everything spelt out for you?  Anyway,  I''m sure you can find fault with that statement too, if you want to.

Surely the best scenario is for RvW to make an immediate impact like Michu or Benteke and attract the attention of a big four club? If he stays for a season and does well before moving on for big money then great, two seasons even better. This is how it works.

Of course I''d love it if he banged in 30 goals every season for ten years here, but the reality is good players will almost always move as high as possible over the course of a very short career. I''d move to further my own career and earn more.

If he''s a success which I''m sure he will be of course he will move to a bigger team that can offer him more than we can in terms of money and European football. This isn''t a bad thing and will be a win win situation for us. The 8 mil we paid will be at least tripled and allow us to buy potentially 3 more RvWs who in turn will hopefully move on too for more money. The only bad outcome will be if he turns out to be a waste of money and doesn''t do the job he has been paid to do.

[quote user="CaptnCanary"]Of course everybody hopes RvW has a season like Benteke. It can only be good for us. If he moves on after a great season we will rake in a huge transfer fee which will allow us to buy in another like him - maybe even more proven than RvW is at this point. If he stays after a great season then even better...[/quote]

I don''t disagree, and it''s all very well to be relatively blase about the prospect of him coming in and having one belting season and moving on, i guarantee none of us will feel good about that scenario playing out. Just ask Villa fans. It''s never easy to deal with that kind of turnover of players because you can''t just go out and find another Benteke or Michu.

For our more limited posters who see the op as ''negative'' or talking down a player, it is neither. Merely looking at the possibilities 12 months from now.

I hope he is linked with a big money move next summer, it''ll show how well he''s done. If we got into europe with him, he may be tempted to stay, but eventually, one will overtake the other.

An example of the opposite is Oli Johnson, he did nothing wrong, we just grew bigger than him and he left to stay at his level. We still no doubt helped him recover his career after hitting the doldrums of a skint Stockport County.

Also, imagine if we did fall back in to the rubbish lower leagues, and RvW was tearing it up in the champions league and world cup, we could at least say we have the great memories of him at us a bit like when Bellamy was doing that.