Sign in to follow this  
Sussexyellow

Signing a "Has Been"

We are getting into silly season where we get a post seeking opinions on signing a once great/good player who is now getting on in years has been released by their club and is desperately seeking a new one and comes on a freebie.

My recollection is that we have not had much success in the past in signing such players. So who was the last one we signed and have any been a success?

I think the John Hartson loan may have been the last one in this category and I am struggling to remember one that classifies as a success.

Any other offers?

Dion Dublin? Joined us at like 36/37 years old.

Yes made a huge impact. Was way past his best, although aleways kept himself in top condition. Went on to be a cracking player for us.

We''ve had a few exceptional oldies in the past, most notably Peters and O''Neill, but I wouldn''t call them has beens.

Did Peter Osgood achieve much? I really can''t remember?

has beens ?or players near the end of their career ?can''t think of any of the former, but we have done well with the latter - Martin Peters, Mick Channon, Martin O''Neil, Asa Hartford

Dion Dublin great call. Funny how you forget the most recent/ obvious.

Osgood did not do much. Neither did Chivers, Royle, Sissons or even Alan Taylor, to name but a few. IMHO.

Peters and others mentioned I did think of but put them in the bit too young category for this classification.

But overall I feel the number of failures will well outnumber the odd success. So signing these twilight of their career players has not exactly been a strong suit for us, and I would not be keen on persuing any in this transfer window.

[quote user="City1st"]has beens ?

or players near the end of their career ?

can''t think of any of the former, but we have done well with the latter - Martin Peters, Mick Channon, Martin O''Neil, Asa Hartford

[/quote]

Surely Darren Huckerby is right up there in this category.

Sussex, you are quite correct if one only measures age. However, a "career" in many kinds of professional sports is often viewed more broadly in terms of whether a player is rising, maintaining or falling in status and reputation. Prior to joining us Darren was sold to Leeds for 6 million where he was not regarded as being successful, then sold to Manchester City for 3.4 million and essentially being loaned out in his second season to a 2nd level Nottingham Forest. When he came to us the initial fee was for 750 M at a time when transfer fees had been rising over the past four years, so he clearly was considered to be on the decline. He turned out to suit us and vice versa.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]Dion Dublin great call. Funny how you forget the most recent/ obvious.

Osgood did not do much. Neither did Chivers, Royle, Sissons or even Alan Taylor, to name but a few. IMHO.

Peters and others mentioned I did think of but put them in the bit too young category for this classification.

But overall I feel the number of failures will well outnumber the odd success. So signing these twilight of their career players has not exactly been a strong suit for us, and I would not be keen on persuing any in this transfer window.[/quote]

Bit surprised to see Joe Royle in that list. Apart from scoring some useful goals and putting in strong performances, he took his young partner under his wing and even during games was guiding him, advising and calming him down.

We owe Royle a lot for helping turn Justin Fashanu into a top striker.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]We are getting into silly season where we get a post seeking opinions on signing a once great/good player who is now getting on in years has been released by their club and is desperately seeking a new one and comes on a freebie.

My recollection is that we have not had much success in the past in signing such players. So who was the last one we signed and have any been a success?

I think the John Hartson loan may have been the last one in this category and I am struggling to remember one that classifies as a success.

Any other offers?[/quote]

Bobby Brennan from Great Yarmouth at the age of 32.

OK maybe being harsh on Royle, so I will bring Velasco or Cottee off the bench.
The point I am making is that we do not have a great track record of signing players that really are at the end of their careers. I was not really thinking of those moving towards the twilight of their career or having suffered a lull. 
Responses so far have not really proved me wrong, and we would probably be able to list 4 or 5 failures for every success which leads me to the view that we would be best to steer well clear.

Dear old John Bond liked his oldies.

Counterbalancing the odd gem of a Martin Peters, there was usually an array of once-good players whose best days were well behind them (Willie Donachie, John McDowell, Clive Woods), through to those somehow best forgotten (Willie Young).

Anyone over the age of 30 who we would be signing would need to be seriously classy in the first place, or have such a fine footballing brain like Peters (or Scholes these days) as not to incovenience their legs.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]OK maybe being harsh on Royle, so I will bring Velasco or Cottee off the bench.

The point I am making is that we do not have a great track record of signing players that really are at the end of their careers. I was not really thinking of those moving towards the twilight of their career or having suffered a lull. 

Responses so far have not really proved me wrong, and we would probably be able to list 4 or 5 failures for every success which leads me to the view that we would be best to steer well clear.

[/quote]

Sussex, I don''t think it''s a case of others not proving you wrong so much as you lacking definition in what you are trying to prove to be correct. You want to exclude players in decline or moving towards the end of their career but only wish to speak of players who are at the end of their careers. Try defining this last point for yourself. When do you consider a player is "at the end" of their career? If a player is still contributing then he is not at the end, right? If he is still contributing somewhere then he is not at the end. Certainly one would think that''s the belief of the player and whoever signed him. If, however, a player is no longer contributing and is "really at the end of their career" ( to use your terminology ) then it would be next to impossible for anyone to have a great track record with such signings.

Yankee go to the first paragraph of my original post. I put on a fair definition there. Other posts have loosened the definition theresfter.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]Yankee go to the first paragraph of my original post. I put on a fair definition there. Other posts have loosened the definition theresfter.[/quote]

Okay, but I was only reacting to the latest post that you yourself submitted referring to a player who" is really at the end of their career." I still don''t think you answered that question but, as you say, perhaps you allowed yourself to get off track from your original point.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]Yankee go to the first paragraph of my original post. I put on a fair definition there. Other posts have loosened the definition theresfter.[/quote]

Okay, but I was only reacting to the latest post that you yourself submitted referring to a player who" is really at the end of their career." I still don''t think you answered that question but, as you say, perhaps you allowed yourself to get off track from your original point.

[/quote]
Yep Yankee I was sort of going with the flow. Threads meander, it''s part of their rich tapestry. Peters would not have met my original definition but its good to reminisce and we were short of "good uns" so I was not going to argue the toss. 
I was trying to move it back towards my original intent but probably did not drag it far enough.

[quote user="They need to EARN the right to play us"]Does "Sammy" Klingon count as a has-been when we signed him. Because his career ended when he left us.[/quote]
LOL. For humour value alone he can count!

Great call with Walsh. Never forget the sheff United game think we went 2-0 down and won 4-2 at home and cottee scored a brace. Might have been the game giallanza injured his knee.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="Sussexyellow"]Dion Dublin great call. Funny how you forget the most recent/ obvious. Osgood did not do much. Neither did Chivers, Royle, Sissons or even Alan Taylor, to name but a few. IMHO. Peters and others mentioned I did think of but put them in the bit too young category for this classification. But overall I feel the number of failures will well outnumber the odd success. So signing these twilight of their career players has not exactly been a strong suit for us, and I would not be keen on persuing any in this transfer window.[/quote] Bit surprised to see Joe Royle in that list. Apart from scoring some useful goals and putting in strong performances, he took his young partner under his wing and even during games was guiding him, advising and calming him down. We owe Royle a lot for helping turn Justin Fashanu into a top striker.[/quote]

Joe Royle won the Barry Butler Player of The year Trophy in 1981.

I have already eaten humble pie on Joe Royle - Tilly. And moved him over to the "good uns". 
So far I think that we have 3 in the good uns category Peters, Dublin and Royle. Quite a small collection really and well outnumbered by the duds!

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]I have already eaten humble pie on Joe Royle - Tilly. And moved him over to the "good uns". 
So far I think that we have 3 in the good uns category Peters, Dublin and Royle. Quite a small collection really and well outnumbered by the duds!

[/quote]

Sussex, surely Bobby Brennan gets on to the list of good ''uns? Picked up for nothing at the age of 32 from Gt Yarmouth FC, a star in THE FA Cup run and 20 appearances in the team that won promotion to the second tier???

Before my time Purple. I did not know if your suggestion was tongue in cheek - but on your evidence happy to include him in the good uns - now up to 4 but with another decade and a half added to our time span. Doubt if he would have commanded the salary that some of the ones that get touted on this board would expect!
Didn''t we have a thread last year suggesting Michael Owen - he worked out well for Stoke!

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]Before my time Purple. I did not know if your suggestion was tongue in cheek - but on your evidence happy to include him in the good uns - now up to 4 but with another decade and a half added to our time span. Doubt if he would have commanded the salary that some of the ones that get touted on this board would expect!
Didn''t we have a thread last year suggesting Michael Owen - he worked out well for Stoke!

[/quote]

I do post provocatively from time to time! But this was serious. I suspect ricardo would endorse Brennan as a choice.

Can''t believe no one has mentioned Graham Stuart, Worthy signed him in January 04/05 season whilst we were playing premier league, previously winning the Fa cup with Everton. He also played for Chelsea, Charlton and Sheffield united playing his last 8 games for us. Poor signing from my point of view but didn''t cost alot, Worthy must have brought him in for experience.... Alot of good that did but we did go on a good run towards the end of the 04/05 season, maybe it was all down to Stuart and if we signed him at the start of the season we could have survived then?!?!?!?!?!?! Doubt it

If Stuart is worth a mention ( even in the negative sense ) then surely Simon Charlton does also. He put in a few good shifts during his time at Carrow Road when we did not have as much money to spend as is the case now.