Sign in to follow this  
pete

Disastrous transfers?

Not until the penultimate day of their campaign were Norwich City able to confirm their Premier League status ahead of next season, as much down to The Canaries'' shallow squad, as it was to the disastrous dealings in the transfer window conducted by manager Chris Hughton.

The above taken from an article see below

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/474543/20130604/norwich-city-transfer-window-holt-van-wolfswinkel.htm?

if you want to read more crap views.

Disastrous transfer dealings, what Bassong, Garrido, Turner, Snodgrass were tremendous signings. Only setbacks Becchio, Kane and failure to get another striker. Hardly disastrous best speak to Pardew.

Bloody press, Hughton did what he was brought in to do and did it comfortably. Hope next season''s transfer dealings are just as disastrous.

[quote user="pete"]Not until the penultimate day of their campaign were Norwich City able to confirm their Premier League status ahead of next season, as much down to The Canaries'' shallow squad, as it was to the disastrous dealings in the transfer window conducted by manager Chris Hughton.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/474543/20130604/norwich-city-transfer-window-holt-van-wolfswinkel.htm?

Disastrous transfer dealings, what Bassong, Garrido, Turner, Snodgrass were tremendous signings. Only setbacks Becchio, Kane and failure to get another striker. Hardly disastrous best speak to Pardew.

Bloody press, Hughton did what he was brought in to do and did it comfortably. Hope next season''s transfer dealings are just as disastrous.[/quote]

It isn''t clear but I suspect it is talking only about the January transfer window. A matter of opinion as to whether January was disatrous or not, of course.

I think may be he is referring only to the last window and whilst I wouldn''t call it "disastrous dealings" as Kamara was worth having for a while and for the Everton games especially, that last day with aeroplanes waiting and last minute anti-climax was a bit of a disaster.

I, personally, cannot fathom out why Becchio has ended up here although I wasn''t unhappy to see the back of Steve Morison in the end.

The rest of it all seems fair though.  

We did OKay in the Jan window, we needed more attacking options and bought in two in Becchio and Kamara.

Yes they didn''t set the world alight, but the goal was to stay up, and we finished 11th - job done!

This bears out my expectation that the football journalism in the "International Business Times" is as good as you would expect the business journalism in a football magazine to be.  In other words a complete waste of space.

January transfer wasnt really a disaster for us.

As mentioned by a poster above, Kamara played his part in the Everton game, and Becchio provided the assist for Howson in the West Brom home game, and could have had a tap-in goal at Man City had Tettey squared the ball to him rather than bend his own shot around the post..

[quote user="djc"]January transfer wasnt really a disaster for us.

As mentioned by a poster above, Kamara played his part in the Everton game, and Becchio provided the assist for Howson in the West Brom home game, and could have had a tap-in goal at Man City had Tettey squared the ball to him rather than bend his own shot around the post..[/quote]

I was about to point at the fact that even Becchio showed some quality despite his severely limited opportunities.

Well, if our transfers, for next to nothing, were a disaster, what would the journo call QPR''s dealings?

Or those of other teams who spent more and finished below us?

We; 1) Weren''t pressured into spending stupid money for Hooper2) Got in a striker who added to the squad (albeit temperately) at minimal cost3) Achieved our goal of staying in the league, without the massive overspend of 1), and with the minimal outlay of 2).I''d argue our January transfer dealings were extremely successful!

If Becchio couldn''t get starts and sometimes a place on the bench last season I cannot see him succeeding next season. Better to sell him on and use the money elsewhere.

2nd highest premier league finish ever and highest league finish in over 20 yearsif they are disastrous transfers then bring on the "Successful" ones!

[quote]with Javier Garrido penning a two-year deal after a season-long loan from Real Sociedad[/quote]

Garrido was at R.S 6 years ago!

Got to love this archaic forum and it''s superfluous ease of use

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="pete"]Not until the penultimate day of their campaign were Norwich City able to confirm their Premier League status ahead of next season, as much down to The Canaries'' shallow squad, as it was to the disastrous dealings in the transfer window conducted by manager Chris Hughton.

Bloody press, Hughton did what he was brought in to do and did it comfortably. Hope next season''s transfer dealings are just as disastrous.[/quote]

It isn''t clear but I suspect it is talking only about the January transfer window. A matter of opinion as to whether January was disatrous or not, of course.[/quote]
I think in hindsight the board got it right in Jan, although it didn''t look that way until the last game of the season; the club rolled the dice in Jan and it paid off, we managed to sign out main target at half the price (roughly) and didn''t get held to ransom over Hooper, in fact we could get him for a good few mill cheaper this summer.
I am still surprised at the lack of game time Becchio has had, he came on a hot scoring streak and we failed to utilise that, i think that is down to poor management of the team, rather than a poor piece of business. I still expect Becchio to score 5+ goals next year and that will certainly do for a 3/4 choice striker.
The extra money we saved by not spending over the odds in Jan could well fund another signing this summer.

The real proof in the pudding will be RVW. Although not signed in January it is clear that a lot of the groundwork was done then or before.

The fact that we played it tough and didn''t just throw silly amounts of cash could well prove to be shrewd operating.