Sign in to follow this  
kentcanary

Has the penny dropped?

It seems to take a while for managers to work out how to play with Wes. Lambert had him in the reserves for a spell when he first arrived. Last summer he captained what seemed to be the second team during pre-season with Snodgrass as th support off the lone striker. Trappatoni has appeared totally clueless as to how to use him. Why is it so difficult to see the talent or do they feel they must build a team round him?

He has always been difficult to fit into a team unless you are going to build around him. He isn''t any good in a 4 man midfield as he can''t tackle well enough, he''s not a winger as he hasn''t got enough pace.

So unless you''re going to play him at the tip of a diamond, or just off a single striker then you''re snookered.

If you want to play 4-4-2 or two strikers then there is no place for Wes.

I think if you have a really good defensive/holding midfielder you could play Wes as a CM in 4-4-2, he has a great work rate and gets about. Can chase players down and does get back to help out defensively a bit. It wouldn''t be ideal, but it''s possible.

But yeah otherwise AM/second striker type, and unless you have a really fluid front four (including wide men) he still lacks effeminacy. Fantastic player on his day, and useful the rest of the time. But like Morty says, of you want 4-4-2 Wes doesn''t really fit.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Gingerpele"]lacks effeminacy.[/quote]What the effin ell is that GP? [:^)][/quote]Must be cross posting on another erm Pink website..

O.K . We accept that he hasn''t got a prominent female side to him but perhaps you could explain what you mean exactly if you say he "lacks efficiency".

[quote user="Gingerpele"]When not played as an AM or behind the striker? I thought that was obvious?[/quote]ah, all is now clear. he is behind the striker, this is why he lacks effeminancy.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]When not played as an AM or behind the striker? I thought that was obvious?[/quote]

I think the only obvious thing is that you haven''t got much idea what you are talking about. What is your definition of an "efficient" footballer? And perhaps an "inefficient" one?

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]When not played as an AM or behind the striker? I thought that was obvious?[/quote]

I think the only obvious thing is that you haven''t got much idea what you are talking about. What is your definition of an "efficient" footballer? And perhaps an "inefficient" one?

[/quote]You could probably only define that with a favourite word of ours....statistics! :(

What are you on about Webbo?

Are you trying to claim Hoolahan is effective when played out wide? Because bar the odd occasion when it''s been almost forced, he hasn''t played out wide for five seasons.

Hoolahan is much much better in the middle, behind the striker with freedom. He is more efficient there because he gets on the ball more and can do more from that position. It isn''t rocket science.

I think, at the third attempt, you have used the word (i.e. effective) that you were originally planning to!

Reading a lot of the posts in this thread makes me think some people have been spending a lot of time on Championship/Football Manager......