Sign in to follow this  
Standard Beagle

Stephen Fry

Had heard of previous cases of him thinking about it, I think a few years back. but this is new to me. I don''t think he would be talking about it if he wasn''t, for lack of a better word "over it" for now, lets just hope he remains okay.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]He''s had it for so many years, he won''t commit suicide I don''t think. He''s said the highs are enough to live for[/quote]

Which is why he doesn''t take medication. And it''s a dangerous game to play.

The Pink''un Role Model -"Which is why he doesn''t take medication. And it''s a dangerous game to play."

My partner is bi-polar - the standard medication is lithium which is a stabiliser, takes away the highs and the lows and leaves her feeling suppressed in the extremes of emotion.   You can of course come off the drug, but it is difficult.  I admire anyone who has the strength not to go on it in the first place - they at least will learn hopefully to deal with the pain of the lows as time goes on without wondering what effect the drug is having on their every day life.    Lithium is very good as it has enabled my partner to cope well with most things, but equally I wish for her sake that she didn''t have to take it.

Mr. Fry and Ronnie Sullivan are both sufferers who are in the public eye and are both open about their bi-polarness.  They are indeed brave and deserve credit for being able to function like they do in the full glare of publicity.  Mr. Fry is open and honest as well as being super intelligent - and he has good taste in football clubs.  I too wish him well. 

I wasn''t having a go. Just saying that he''s on record as saying he doesn''t take meds. And reasons you''ve mentioned were amongst his reasons why he didn''t, but with the honesty of also saying he enjoys his manic bouts.

The dangerous game is, with the mania comes the incredible lows that can drive somebody to the point of suicide.

Would that happen with Mr Fry? I don''t know. Could it happen? Yes of course.

Interestingly the article quotes him as saying he does take meds.

It''s also about an incident last year. However, Fry has had these moments before - I remember when he went AWOL.

The man is a genius - the fact that he has these issues makes him all the more human. I have a lot of time for him - although some have questioned his role at the club, I think generally speaking he has been a great person to have on board.

He''s on meds now after his recent suicide attempt, full story here http://news.sky.com/story/1099914/stephen-fry-reveals-2012-suicide-attempt

The world would be a more boring place without Stephen Fry, the man is a national treasure. I hope he''s making a good recovery.

Here is the article saying he takes meds hyperlinked, forgot you had to do that on this forum

[link]http://news.sky.com/story/1099914/stephen-fry-reveals-2012-suicide-attempt[/link]

Good bloke Mr Fry. Highly intelligent without being smug about it.

Good luck to him.

[quote user="Herman "]Good bloke Mr Fry. Highly intelligent without being smug about it. Good luck to him.[/quote]

He was briefly at school with me in North Walsham. I didn''t know him personally but he was a charismatic character and very much the rebel. He was expelled in the end for non-attendance. Unable to handle the place, apparently, he used to spend his days holding court in a small cafĂ© around the corner from the school rather than go to classes.