Sign in to follow this  
Devils Advocate.

Steve Bruce for Wigan ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2335918/Wigan-hope-bring-Steve-Bruce-Wigan.html

How bizarre if true, the man we wouldn''t consider last close season is apparently under consideration according to the Daily Mail, for a return to Wigan to replace Roberto Martinez.

Can''t see this at all DA, especially after the massive fall out him and Dave Wheelan had last time also, why drop down a division?[:S]

I can''t see it happening, myself, but Steve Bruce is not exactly "Mr Loyalty". If it does happen, I would feel desperately sorry for Hull City who gave him a job when nobody else wanted him.

Not sure why people slag off Bruce so much. If you look at where he has taken teams he has a pretty good track record of taking teams up to the premiership and establishing them.

You only need to look at teams after they have got rid of him to see that. Sunderland seriously downhill, Birmingham seriously downhill, Wigan are probably the only team to have not really changed although under him they did at times show signs of getting better.

And to be fair, if you were a football man, loved the game etc - would you really want to be at Wigan long term? Could you argue they have energetic, vibrant and loudly supportive crowd?

Surely as a manager, or a player, your ambition would be at the very least, to play at a club where you feel you are appreciated by the manager, other players and the fans?

Whelan has always made it clear that Wigan is a stepping stone club for everyone. Managers, players etc. Bruce left them to go to Sunderland - which is no doubt a much bigger club.

Don''t get me wrong, he''s not a world class manager, but he''s not rubbish either.

For what it''s worth, Bruce had a better win ratio whilst at Wigan than Martinez has who is likely to be managing Everton next. Obviously there is the argument of style etc, but then if it doesn''t get results . . . . .

He has said that he is not interested as he wants to show loyalty to the owners of Hull. Understandable really as Hull are in the Prem and Wigan, sadly, are not.