Sign in to follow this  
flecky76

Sunderland to pip Norwich and Saints for Hooper

Add-ons are the compromise in the over-valuation scenario.

I would consider £5m worth a risk on Hooper given the circumstances and doubt. To the pay Celtic an extra 2-3 once he reaches milestones of either Premiership goals or games would seem a reasonable way of recognising our potential risk and their perceived loss. 

Hearing Portuguese forward Amido Baldé set for Celtic on 4 year deal. Should pave way for Gary Hooper to be sold. #ncfc

James Nursey on Twitter

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]

Hearing Portuguese forward Amido Baldé set for Celtic on 4 year deal. Should pave way for Gary Hooper to be sold. #ncfc

James Nursey on Twitter

[/quote]

I like that "hearing" as if this is some private info only Nursey knows about. The Baldé deal has been all over the Glasgow papers for some days now as being imminent.

Mega Mega money on a player who has scored regularly in a side no better than teams in the championship and where all they sides they play would struggle to win in league one is a big risk.

[quote user="Dave"]Mega Mega money on a player who has scored regularly in a side no better than teams in the championship and where all they sides they play would struggle to win in league one is a big risk. [/quote]

May I ask what your solution is? The entire bottom half is a risk in the premier league. We won''t spend 20 million on a world class striker, getting a benteke/Michu is a shot in the dark, exactly as hooper is.

[quote user="Joey Deacan"][quote user="chicken"]Carrol may well be good but £20mill? [/quote]

Titter
[/quote]

Pardew knew what he was doing when he ripped off Liverpool for that £35mil.  

[quote user="Dave"]Mega Mega money on a player who has scored regularly in a side no better than teams in the championship and where all they sides they play would struggle to win in league one is a big risk.
[/quote]

Just can''t agree  with much of that Dave. Celtic are a more than decent side, have done quite well in European competition recently and I believe they would compete well in the Premiership.

Neither can I readily dismiss the SPL as being likely to struggle in League One. There are some decent sides in that league who would easily challenge in the Championship.

I am not so keen to dismiss Hooper simply because he has scored his goals in Scottish football (and prior to that in lower league English football) as he clearly has an instinct for regularly finding the net and has done so whenever called upon at whatever level. All players have to start somewhere. As a subsequent poster said, NCFC are not in a position to pay mega-millions for a proven Premiership striker so a calculated risk on the likes of Hooper remains our lot except for the unliklihood of us unearthing an unknown gem from abroad, and this ''aint easy.

Our acquisition of RVW was a bit of a freak scoop IMO, brought about by Sporting''s dire financial situation and McNally sensing blood whilst other suitors were pre-occupied. As has been said as well, it  could well be in the player''s mind to use NCFC as a stepping stone so in this particular instance everything came into place. Perhaps that could be the case with Hooper.

Finally, Hooper seems to be a player in demand by knowledgeables within the game. Lennon seems highly anxious to keep him, whilst Hughton, Bruce, DiCanio and others are sniffing around. The player is highly rated by the Celtic masses from what I have read from their forums.

At about £5m, Gary Hooper would be a sound signing for NCFC, IMO. He should/would score goals for us in the Premier League. 

I tend to agree with Broadstairs about the logic of add-ons being dependent upon the player doing well. £5m plus £2-3m in add-ons for say 30 appearances and 15 goals scored would make good sense if that money moves City up into the top half of the table. I''m pretty sure the RvW deal had similar add-ons for the same reason. It would also leave room for bringing in attacking midfielders.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Neither can I readily dismiss the SPL as being likely to struggle in League One. There are some decent sides in that league who would easily challenge in the Championship.

[/quote]

Really?

Hibernian, who finished 7th last year, and qualified for Europe by virtue of losing to Celtic in the Scottish Cup Final, have just signed Owain Tudur-Jones.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]

Really?

Hibernian, who finished 7th last year, and qualified for Europe by virtue of losing to Celtic in the Scottish Cup Final, have just signed Owain Tudur-Jones.

[/quote]

That''s it then. Clearly I''ve got it wrong.

If Norwich (or any other club) are signing Hooper with their only analysis of him being looking at his goals total then they are stupid.

Even if a player is in a League of poor quality or playing for a poor team it is still possible to see talent - I haven''t seen a massive amount of Hooper myself so can''t comment on his ability but just because the SPL is a bad league it doesn''t mean he should be written off; it''s still possible to be a good player in Scotland.

I can''t see anyone buying him for £7m, but if a genuine bidding war starts then it is entirely possible it could get that high - as I said before it isn''t just about getting a player, but also denying your opposition the chance to sign him.

I imagine this ''story'' is just Celtic having a look to see who is interested and how much they are prepared to bid. As far as I know Southampton don''t even want/need a striker.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

If Norwich (or any other club) are signing Hooper with their only analysis of him being looking at his goals total then they are stupid.

Even if a player is in a League of poor quality or playing for a poor team it is still possible to see talent - I haven''t seen a massive amount of Hooper myself so can''t comment on his ability but just because the SPL is a bad league it doesn''t mean he should be written off; it''s still possible to be a good player in Scotland.

I can''t see anyone buying him for £7m, but if a genuine bidding war starts then it is entirely possible it could get that high - as I said before it isn''t just about getting a player, but also denying your opposition the chance to sign him.

I imagine this ''story'' is just Celtic having a look to see who is interested and how much they are prepared to bid. As far as I know Southampton don''t even want/need a striker.

[/quote]Bethnal, I have little idea where the promoted clubs stand financially in terms of transfers/wages but looking at their squads (particularly the age of their strikers!) I could see Cardiff, Hull and Palace all being keen on Hooper. I am a bit dubious as to whether we are still interested, but I imagine other PL clubs would be. He is a proven goalscorer in English/British football at a good age. And with a year left on his contract I could imagine Celtic getting at least £6m for him.

" I''m pretty sure the RvW deal had similar add-ons for the same reason."

virtually every transfer has - a quick check through our accounts will show how mucch is paid/due etcthat''s why the guff about transfer fees is pretty much bolloeven if the rough figure is known what is it ?the amount paid up front the amount paid up front plus staged paymentsthe amount paid up front plus staged payments plus agents feesthe amount paid up front plus staged payments plus agents fees, plus signing on feethe amount paid up front plus staged payments plus agents fees, plus signing on fee, plus appearance/achievement/international bonuses they will usually be quite a big difference between the first and last of those figures

the figure that is usually bandied about is the latter with a good bit more lumped onto the top to make the story more newsworthy, also to allow the selling club to look like they have got a good deal and the buying club to show they have ''hambition''however as with mystic meg, mediums and much other similar mumbo jumbo the figures quoted do their job - they make money for the media sources peddling themkerching, as they say