Sign in to follow this  
flecky76

Sunderland to pip Norwich and Saints for Hooper

According to today''s Mail.

Hmm, madman Di Canio or level headed Hughton?

On the plus side, his family is from Essex so that''s a lot closer from Norwich than it would be from Sunderland!

I''m sure Hughton knows who his targets are for this summer, and McNally as we know will do all he can to sign them for him.

We tried for Hooper in Jan and went for Wolfwinkel instead. Maybe our interest in Hooper ended then

Suppose Sunderland will be looking for a decent new forward. Graham just didn''t do it for them this season, who knows what''ll happen next. I did expect him to not really react positively when Di Canio joined.

Celtic would love some competition for Hooper to drive his price back up, as it won''t be as high as they wanted in Jan. a bidding way between three similar sized clubs would suit them just fine.

I''m still not convinced of his pedigree, and especially not at the price they were allegedly touting in January.

I think we have already bought our main striker for this transfer window, and he could end up a bargain!

Assuming Holt stays, we still only have 3 strikers in him, RVW and Becchio. That''s also assuming Vaughan departs, as expected.

3 strikers is not enough for a full PL season, even accounting for a 1 up front scenario.

Hoopers agents tried to bump his value up in Jan by planting stories that Spurs were interested and were coming in with a big bid for him. Spurs weren''t and didn''t and the BBC amongst others ended up deleting and editing a couple of pages concerning the "Spurs interest". Smells of a similar attempt to me....

This whole agent/club trying to bump up value by create false rumours, surely it doesn''t work?

Hughton could just give Di Canio a ring and ask if he''s actually interested in Hooper, surely? Maybe not exactly like that, but you know what I mean. Otherwise couldn''t clubs just lie all the time? And always say there is someone interested/going to bid more?

[quote user="flecky76"]Assuming Holt stays, we still only have 3 strikers in him, RVW and Becchio. That''s also assuming Vaughan departs, as expected. 3 strikers is not enough for a full PL season, even accounting for a 1 up front scenario.[/quote]

Spurs did alright with three strikers and I’m including Dempsey in that and he’s not an out and out forward.

Spurs have Bale.

If Spurs had a consistent striker they probably would have finished top four. Defoe seemed to be very in and out of the team, I assume he had a couple injuries. Adebayor is a mystery. And Dempsey most of the time wasn''t half as good as he was at Fulham last season.

Bale, plus say Benteke and they''d have finished top four. Obviously part of the ''lack'' of goals/focus on strikers was because of Bale anyway. But still. He can''t do it all alone.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]This whole agent/club trying to bump up value by create false rumours, surely it doesn''t work? Hughton could just give Di Canio a ring and ask if he''s actually interested in Hooper, surely? Maybe not exactly like that, but you know what I mean. Otherwise couldn''t clubs just lie all the time? And always say there is someone interested/going to bid more?[/quote]

Surely not ! He''s hardly likely to give information to someone who is potentially competing to sign the same player.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]This whole agent/club trying to bump up value by create false rumours, surely it doesn''t work? Hughton could just give Di Canio a ring and ask if he''s actually interested in Hooper, surely? Maybe not exactly like that, but you know what I mean. Otherwise couldn''t clubs just lie all the time? And always say there is someone interested/going to bid more?[/quote]

It does work and happens fairly regulary.

This piece in 4-4-2 is well worth a read, especially at this time of year

http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/fourfourtwoview/archive/2013/01/16/the-truth-behind-the-transfer-rumour-mill.aspx

Probably not exactly like that.

But you must be able to get some kind of conformation from the other club. If we recovered a bid for Holt, surely we could then say another club has bid a million more, match it or go. Completely lying, At the very least agents are going to know. I''m fairly sure we wouldn''t up a bid or panic because the papers say another club is interested...

[quote user="flecky76"]According to today''s Mail. Hmm, madman Di Canio or level headed Hughton? On the plus side, his family is from Essex so that''s a lot closer from Norwich than it would be from Sunderland![/quote]

Thats the first thought I had flecky.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

It does work and happens fairly regulary.

This piece in 4-4-2 is well worth a read, especially at this time of year

http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/fourfourtwoview/archive/2013/01/16/the-truth-behind-the-transfer-rumour-mill.aspx

[/quote]Interesting, thanks for posting.This caught my eye.."The Chief Exec Agents love an auction for a player but they don’t

happen as often as the papers would have you think. There are what I

call ‘rule of three’ stories, where there are three clubs claimed to be

involved. Those stories have almost always come from agents and of the

clubs mentioned, one will be really interested, one would be the club

the agent and player want to be interested and the other one would be,

in most cases, pure fantasy."

[quote user="Joey Deacan"]7 Mil, blimey let them have him for that !
[/quote]

Totally agree, far too pricey, especially as they''ll have to let him go for nowt next year.

Maybe last January, but now with hindsight we didn''t need him anyway.Two quick wingers please, thats what we need, our pace last season was really a problem, when given the chance to break or catch the opposition on the break 9 / 10 we had to go sideways.

[quote user="AJ"]I''m sure Hughton knows who his targets are for this summer, and McNally as we know will do all he can to sign them for him. We tried for Hooper in Jan and went for Wolfwinkel instead. Maybe our interest in Hooper ended then[/quote]

Thank FFFFFFFFFFFFF For that

I also think £7m is too much for Hooper. I think that if City do sign another striker, it should be someone who can fit in with RvW and develop for the next 2 or 3 years.

Hooper is not worth £7M if other teams are willing to pay that, then let then have him.

We can get better than him anyway...

Very interesting article on 4-4-2 - thanks Bethnal.

I like the comment by the "Chief Exec" that agents look after their own interests before their players - although I guess it can only go so far and if players start to get that view of an agent he''d go out of business.

In the end it''s true that football at the top is a very small community with masses of money flowing around and plenty of people trying to make a bit of easy money from themselves.  So they''ll trade favours and pass things and just plain make it up if it''ll further their interests, while the journos have to try to filter out what''s actually the truth (and journos aren''t the hardest-working people in general IMO). 

It''s not just whether Hooper is worth £7m, it''s also a matter of is it worth £7m to get him and deny a potential rival next season from having him in their team.

I doubt he''ll move for that much, but it''s early days and there is no harm for Celtic putting a high price on him now to see if anyone bites. The longer this drags out the further the price will fall.

The Mackems like to spend a lot e.g. Bent, Fletcher, Graham and the bloke who went to the Arabs (not xenophobia can''t remember who he went to). All cost a bit and all not very good. £7m let them have him.

Burnley have just put a 7m price tag on Charlie Austin ... I mean, these prices are mad aren''t they? I wouldn''t pay 7m for Hooper...nor for Austin...

It is cheaper to shop abroad.

The ''homegrown'' label appears to have pushed the price up of a lot of British based players - some of whom are yet to justify the prices they are being touted or even sold for.

Henderson for starters. Carrol may well be good but £20mill?

Kone and Michu are both good players at premiership level and cost a lot less to buy than someone such as Hooper, Rhodes or Austin.

Whilst £8million can find you a Benteke or a RVW - the latter having experienced Champions League football as well as both having played for their country.

Putting big fees on players is the norm these days. Basically clubs dont want to sell their best assests hence why places like Spain always put ridiculous get out clauses on theirs. Someone like Ruddy or Holt may be worth double to the club, where''s in reality they are not.

Value is a matter of opinion. If jay Rodrigues can go for £7m and Rhodes for £8m then I would have thought a valuation for Hooper in the £6 to £8m range was about spot on.Of course the price paid for RVW does show better value is to be had abroad, it also has the potential to get your fingers burned

True what you say about hooper, I think 6-8m is fair. Because you know the scottish league more you all assume he''s poor, I''m of the opinion if you can move into scoring positions and finish then you can finish in most leagues. Holt, lambert, le fondre have proved that this season all coming from ''lower leagues''.

We are all assuming RvW is going to come in and take the league by storm, if anything he would have a harder job to settle than the likes of hooper as he''s played british football. 10/15 goals a season is worth 6/8 million to a premier league team in our position, especially with the rise in TV money, I think hooper can score that therefore I feel he''s worth the money.