Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Elliot Bennett vs Andros Townsend

So, 2 wingers, one has just married after a long 7 year relationship and donated to a food bank, the other has just got himself caught up in betting scandals.

It''s a common occuring theme for our players minus Bassong and his replica guns and Ryan Bennetts potty mouth!

I''m proud to support such a decent set of lads.

Haha, fail! I meant to show a link to the story on Elliott Bennett. People are calling for Townsend to be bought to likely replace Bennett, but is that slight extra ability worth trading for the better person?

I suppose it comes down to Goals and Assists at the end of the day. Footballers are just like everybody else, shades of good and bad.

I suppose you never know. Look at Giggs! Bennett may have several women on the side and a drugs business conveniently near the food bank!

We don''t tend to have had many controversial players through our doors though. Ched Evans waited until he''d left before he became dodgy!

Norwich connected jailbids that spring immediately to mind are Peter Mendham, Elvis Hammond, the aforementioned Ched Evans and there are a couple more lurking at the back of my mind (help please). We''ve had our fair share of dodgy characters. Which is probably an unfair thing for me to say because the whole hero or villain thing is just far too simplistic for human beings, footballers being no exception. Mr Bellamy is a prime example - his fantastic charity work and his somewhat petulant character...

City bad lads remember Sutton/Bradshaw and the taxi, sometimes silly moves e.g. Bassong but generally City heroes are good role models. Not all teams can say the same.

Townsend put a few bets on matches he wasn''t involved in without realising it wasn''t allowed. By all accounts off the pitch he''s a good pro and has had no other problems. This incident doesn''t make him the antichrist.

I think he''d make a great signing. He can also play in a more central role so he''s not necessarily a like-for-like replacement for Benno.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Haha, fail! I meant to show a link to the story on Elliott Bennett. People are calling for Townsend to be bought to likely replace Bennett, but is that slight extra ability worth trading for the better person?[/quote]

It''s a very good point and one that our fans should get better than most given that it has been a key component of our recruitment policy under Lambert and carried forward under Hughton. It still surprises me the number of people who still don''t seem to "get" how important it is to have good characters as well as good players and still have the attitude of "so long as he''s good, who cares!" 

You''ll always get people who interpret all this as meaning you''ll take crap players as long as they''re goody two shoes, but that''s not it at all. You just want good professionals (Snodgrass, Bassong) who won''t involve themselves in all the nonsense that surrounds Premier League football, which is a lot to ask sometimes, especially of the young ones. It can be pretty hard to judge of course and it''s hard to say if Townsend is really a bad egg based on his betting antics. But if you look at dear old Chrissy Martin, he was hardly Gazza Mk2 but he wasn''t the most professional and it''s clear to most that this reflected on the pitch. Now he has grown up a bit and had a tough time establishing himself, i think he will start to blossom.

Probably gave Townsend a harsh time as it''s not the worst of misdemeanours.

You have a kind of half way group of good pros with a dodgy side.

The likes of Barton, Bellamy etc will always give their all on the pitch but sadly off it they let themselves down sometimes.

Then there are the bad pro''s like Martin, Cassano etc who let their bad attitude affect their talent.

I wonder if we''d be able to deal with that middle group? They are often bad losers which can be a good quality, Holt being an example gets into the oppositions face and his tactics have probably gained us more points than lost.