Sign in to follow this  
flecky76

Here's a new name for us: Jonjo Shelvey

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]BroadstairsR wrote - "He''s hardly set foot on the Premiership playing field after all." He played the equivalent of 10 full matches last season in the EPL. Across all competitions last season he had a better goalscoring record than Grant Holt and a better Assist record than Wes.[/quote]

I did read the stats. I also read what Liverpool are asking for him.

One of the most interesting positions to fill is the rvw partner or who will support and play around him in the wes role.

In my opinion rvw will benefit from a stronger rangier more industrious player in the wes role and shelvey is just that type. Not writing wes off at all but we must get the best out of the Wolf.

Shelvey is a good player - can play play either behind a striker or deeper in midfield, lots of energy and strength and a decent amount of ability.

Most importantly he is young and can develop and if he reaches his potential Norwich could make a big profit on him. With the extra money in the Premier League now a £5m transfer is the new £2m deal - personally I don''t think Liverpool will sell this summer and will give Shelvey a chance to improve on what was a good season for him.

Had so much potential whenhe first set on the scene at Charlton, but think he moved to Liverpool too soon. He was (and still is) very raw at the time, I think he''d have been betteroffstaying at Championship/league 1 level for a couple more years before moving into the PL. With the right guidance and management (which I believe Hughton can bring) I think he could develop into a good player. No more than £5/6m though for me. And as for the bald midfielders thing, what about the amazing Neil Emblen?! Who, after a quick Wiki search is now a player/coach for Waitakere Unitedin New Zealand now!

Hes a cracking player, suprised to see Liverpool may want to sell, I remember the Liverpool Documentary on Channel 5 at the beginning of last season and Rodgers spoke very highly of him.

I have mixed feelings about Shelvey. He certainly fits the ''total'' football'' role for the modern game and he is also versatile, being able to play AM, CM or even wide left with the ability to track back and support the defense. IMO, a loan would make sense leaving some room for change if it doesn''t work out, and for another ''marquee'' signing in mid-field this summer. I wouldn''t be happy spending £5-7m on Shelvey though.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Graham"]Matthew Patterson, he was an Australian central midfielder who played for us a few years ago, seemed very good by all accounts however unfortunately the club were forced to release him following relegation.[/quote]Matty Patterson, the South African drunk who turned up to training in his pants - are you seriously suggesting he was good?  The club did the right thing by getting rid!Shelvey would be a good signing IMO, has potential to be a very good player in years to come and is still only 21.[/quote]

I am not sure where you are getting your information from, in my eyes he seemed a model professional: hard working, kept quiet and a good team player. Maybe you should follow his attributes a bit more closely in your own actions.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I have mixed feelings about Shelvey. He certainly fits the ''total'' football'' role for the modern game and he is also versatile, being able to play AM, CM or even wide left with the ability to track back and support the defense. IMO, a loan would make sense leaving some room for change if it doesn''t work out, and for another ''marquee'' signing in mid-field this summer. I wouldn''t be happy spending £5-7m on Shelvey though.[/quote]

You have just described a player who is going to cost roughly that kind of money if you''re buying someone who is a squad member at one of the big Premier League clubs.

Snap you''re hand off for him, although I wouldn''t pay more than about £5m.

Cracking footballer, can pass, score goals and create goals which is essentially the midfielder we are missing at the club right now.

Throw into the mix he''s only 21 and he has the potential to improve even more.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]BroadstairsR wrote - "He''s hardly set foot on the Premiership playing field after all." He played the equivalent of 10 full matches last season in the EPL. Across all competitions last season he had a better goalscoring record than Grant Holt and a better Assist record than Wes.[/quote]

Kind of irrelevant really, played a lot in the Europa league against Mickey mouse teams, and in regards to assists, it''s not hard to play a simple 5 yard ball to Suarez who then dribbles around 6 players and bangs it in the net.... still counts as an assist :)

[quote user="First acolyte the east coast role model"]Apparently Liverpool want him for £8M. .[/quote]

Shelvey has plenty of potential and would offer an improvement on what we have - but the price tag means we will probably rightly look elsewhere first

[quote user="First acolyte the east coast role model"]Apparently Liverpool want him for £8M.

No thanks.[/quote]

I thought they already had him. [;)]

Do we need him? - well we already have the improving Howson, and possibly Butterfield. There is also the different type of player in Surman.  These are all capable of scoring goals and making good passes. I was hoping that we would sign a player who could break up attacks and then begin and end attacks by us. Perhaps he could do this, perhaps not. He didn''t play many games for Liverpool in the Premiership this year.

Is he worth the reported £8m? I think that we could obtain better for this kind of money, if we looked abroad. Granted everyone seems to think that he has potential, but how much. He has played for England U21, but then so have many players who never became anything. He might be worth a punt for £4m or even £5m, but £8m seems to be a big risk.

Imo he is bit unrated. Very physical with good shot and lot of attitude to play on until the very end.

He wont fit in Liverpool''s new tactics very well, but for more straight forward team he could do fine.

8million is a big sum, but that doesnt sound too inflated as many people are willing to pay similar sums here from Hooper etc.

Still mayby a bit too much as there is players out there with cheaper wages and transfer sum and equal talent.

£5m is probably the going rate imo. The £8m side of it could be ''pool wanting some add ons due to his age.

Anyway I rate him, he could be the answer to our midfield that had a tendency to open up like the Red Sea on occasions last season.

[quote user="First acolyte the east coast role model"]Woopsie.

I of course meant what you all know I meant![/quote]

Of course we did, but it gave us an excuse to bump this back up above the other copycat threads. [;)]

I can see it as a year-long loan, but would be disappointed if City shell out millions for a player that has disappointed at Liverpool so far. Could be yet another player who is very good at Championship level but who would struggle in the PL.