Sign in to follow this  
morty

Balance.

We have more money than we have ever had, we are debt free, and all of a sudden theres all sorts of names being touted.But there should be a modicum of caution I think, we have a strong core of British players that go a long way to providing the team spirit that was required to keep us up this season. I will point you to the crop of foreign players Newcastle bought in the January transfer window that pretty much went missing towards the end of the season when the team needed some grit.I would like to see an overall increase in squad quality, but not at the expense of the togetherness I believe we have at the club, QPR being another prime example of how not to do it.

To be fair, I feel with the people we have at the Club, McNally (I accept he doesn''t pick players) Hughton etc, that we will retain the balanced ''sensible'' approach to the next chapter in the Clubs history

Balanced and sensible will become prudent with no ambition as soon as there''s a whiff of the bottom three!

West Brom managed fine with no English players. I don''t understand the idea that foreign players don''t care as much about clubs as British players. Would rather have 11 Bassongs than 11 Fox/Surmans

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Balanced and sensible will become prudent with no ambition as soon as there''s a whiff of the bottom three!

[/quote]If we could spend some of our money to put something in the beer at Carrow road that cures fan''s fickleness then it would be money well spent!

[quote user="Morisons Prozac"]West Brom managed fine with no English players. I don''t understand the idea that foreign players don''t care as much about clubs as British players. Would rather have 11 Bassongs than 11 Fox/Surmans[/quote]Its not about British versus foreign at all. But its obvious that someone coming from another country, with language barriers and other issues to deal with MAY not settle as quickly or as well as someone from Britain.My point wasn''t entirely about the players origin, its about not making wholesale changes just because we have a bit of cash.

@Morison''s prozac:

To be honest I don''t read that from Morty''s original post.

I think what he is saying is that some players that come from further afield, and perhaps some even more locally, don''t have the loyalty you''d expect from a player who has been brought in from the championship or maybe Scotland.

Now, you look at the Michu''s and Benteke''s of this world and you realise that if we only had them for a season it may well be a fantastic story for us, just to ensure another season in the prem and a nice healthy profit on a player.

However, knowing that these sort of players are going to come in and ''do a job'' for a season or two, you do have to address that with players that are happy to be here for longer and show more commitment.

We can''t not get those types of players, but we have to ensure they don''t rock the boat. In some ways it''s a shame that Kamara wasn''t perhaps a little better. I feel if he was just a little more accomplished in his all round play he would have been a great signing if nothing else for his positivity and the way he bled that on the pitch.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]To be fair, I feel with the people we have at the Club, McNally (I accept he doesn''t pick players) Hughton etc, that we will retain the balanced ''sensible'' approach to the next chapter in the Clubs history[/quote]

not sure what you mean, but I would add that the board at City have a far far bigger input into who comes to the club as can be seen with Snodgrass and Bennett Rgreat attentiin is paid to the players attitude, behaviour, approach to the game etc so that they not only fit in with the current ethos but can develop further with the clubat this stage we are looking at about 4 more players at most coming in (present spaces in squad) however I think it will be the above qualities that will determine who comes in rather than as with QPR just chucking what money they had at  ''anyone'' 

I was all prepared for a thread about Balanc''e, a Belgian international plays for some remote league, wants a chance to shine in the EPL

[quote user="Number 9"]I was all prepared for a thread about Balanc''e, a Belgian international plays for some remote league, wants a chance to shine in the EPL[/quote]He''s excellent on FIFA[Y]

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="crabbycanary"]To be fair, I feel with the people we have at the Club, McNally (I accept he doesn''t pick players) Hughton etc, that we will retain the balanced ''sensible'' approach to the next chapter in the Clubs history[/quote]

not sure what you mean, but I would add that the board at City have a far far bigger input into who comes to the club as can be seen with Snodgrass and Bennett Rgreat attentiin is paid to the players attitude, behaviour, approach to the game etc so that they not only fit in with the current ethos but can develop further with the clubat this stage we are looking at about 4 more players at most coming in (present spaces in squad) however I think it will be the above qualities that will determine who comes in rather than as with QPR just chucking what money they had at  ''anyone'' [/quote]I think you''re right about attitude and behaviour, compared to a lot of clubs, we have had relatively few "problem children" in recent times.

It''s key to keep the team spirit and bond together, and to evolve the squad rather than ship in eight or nine new players.  We''d be better bringing in three genuine improvements to the squad (i.e. they put this year''s 1st choice players on the bench).The lack of team spirit caused by the "revolving door" approach to looooon players was one of the reasons we ended up in League One.This probably also goes for our style of play and tactics.  I know many of us would like to see more ambition to go out and win as opposed to "not lose", particularly at home, but next season will probably evolve towards that rather than see us coming out all guns blazing from game 1.  Patience is needed with the players and manager.

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]It''s key to keep the team spirit and bond together, and to evolve the squad rather than ship in eight or nine new players.  We''d be better bringing in three genuine improvements to the squad (i.e. they put this year''s 1st choice players on the bench).The lack of team spirit caused by the "revolving door" approach to looooon players was one of the reasons we ended up in League One.This probably also goes for our style of play and tactics.  I know many of us would like to see more ambition to go out and win as opposed to "not lose", particularly at home, but next season will probably evolve towards that rather than see us coming out all guns blazing from game 1.  Patience is needed with the players and manager.

[/quote]I don''t think we''re daft enough to go stupid with our money, but it never ceases to amaze me just how often it happens!

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="crabbycanary"]To be fair, I feel with the people we have at the Club, McNally (I accept he doesn''t pick players) Hughton etc, that we will retain the balanced ''sensible'' approach to the next chapter in the Clubs history[/quote]

not sure what you mean, but I would add that the board at City have a far far bigger input into who comes to the club as can be seen with Snodgrass and Bennett Rgreat attentiin is paid to the players attitude, behaviour, approach to the game etc so that they not only fit in with the current ethos but can develop further with the clubat this stage we are looking at about 4 more players at most coming in (present spaces in squad) however I think it will be the above qualities that will determine who comes in rather than as with QPR just chucking what money they had at  ''anyone'' [/quote]

It was more an agreement with Morty, and also that we do not have media darlings in either a Chairman, CEO or Manager (Delia cannot be put alongside the likes of Fernandez etc).

I agree that we have a very good record of sorting out the right sort of personality/character in a player, and we would not be perceived as a ''QPR type'' team of mercenaries/troublemakers.

When was the last time we had a proper bad boy?Thankfully we have never had anyone really bad, but I''m not averse to a bit of "character"

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]It was ever thus.

[quote user="morty"]When was the last time we had a proper bad boy?Thankfully we have never had anyone really bad, but I''m not averse to a bit of "character"[/quote]Bradshaw?

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="morty"]When was the last time we had a proper bad boy?Thankfully we have never had anyone really bad, but I''m not averse to a bit of "character"[/quote]Bradshaw?[/quote]Yeah I was thinking of him too, was it him who walloped a taxi driver or something?

Morty''s dead right in his emphasis on the team spirit being hugely important and I also agree that CH and the Board are also very aware of that (as was Lambert previously). The players CH has brought in all fall into this category (though we probably haven''t seen enough of Becchio and Butterfield to know for sure yet). Bassong, Garrido and Tettey have certainly bought into this as well, as, I suspect, will RvW. Those could be big ego players, but they aren''t. Like Morty, I also hope that we keep it that way!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="morty"]When was the last time we had a proper bad boy?Thankfully we have never had anyone really bad, but I''m not averse to a bit of "character"[/quote]Bradshaw?[/quote]Yeah I was thinking of him too, was it him who walloped a taxi driver or something?[/quote]Yes, it was him and Andy Johnson after a night on the tiles. Both were transfer listed by Mike Walker iirc.

I''d forgotten about Bradshaw, but what about Chris Martin and his pub brawls? On the other hand, back in the 70s City acquired a notorious problem player in Keith Robson, who settled in very well and was never a problem after that!